The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/14 - 07/16 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Friday Harbor gathering, we stayed an extra night in FH so I could spoil Andrea on her birthday. This was followed by 3 days in La Conner and 3 days in Oak Harbor. Great gig in FH thanks to Greg, Cindie, and Avon.

For those interested in the PR gathering:

Tom, you can also clear Canadian Border Services (do we still call it Customs?) at Sidney if you want to head north up the Vancouver Island side.

For us, it was 9 hrs running time from Friday Harbor to Comox at 16/18 knots. From Comox (great place to overnight, I'll buy you a beer) to Powell River is 1hr 15 mins. For our American friends heading north, this is one of the great Canadian gatherings. Just ask anyone who attended last year. Hope to see you there.

Martin.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
After the Friday Harbor gathering, we stayed an extra night in FH so I could spoil Andrea on her birthday. This was followed by 3 days in La Conner and 3 days in Oak Harbor. Great gig in FH thanks to Greg, Cindie, and Avon.

For those interested in the PR gathering:

Tom, you can also clear Canadian Border Services (do we still call it Customs?) at Sidney if you want to head north up the Vancouver Island side.

For us, it was 9 hrs running time from Friday Harbor to Comox at 16/18 knots. From Comox (great place to overnight, I'll buy you a beer) to Powell River is 1hr 15 mins. For our American friends heading north, this is one of the great Canadian gatherings. Just ask anyone who attended last year. Hope to see you there.

Martin.

Comox was not too bad either! We'd be up for another Comox CBGT in 2018!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. For the record Susan and I made a one day run from anacortes thru the SJ's via Nanaimo and then across WG up the inlets and to the falls. It was a great weather day that I doubt will happen again.

WE have made the run up the west side and I wanted to try something different. If we are going to clear customs (I am old school) in White rock then launching at Blaine , with free parking for two weeks, sounds like a winner.

Only question is where to stop if we dont make a one run shot. In my boat its still a 5 hour run and time at customs. I would like to hit Silva Bay for a over night if I can but I have to tell you that I can taste the pulled pork at "Smoke on the water" in Gibson bay . The best pulled pork this side of the Mississippi. How is the crossing of Gibson channel shoals? Or do I have to go around Keats island?

This is all based on work time and Susan getting back from a Indian wedding in Sacramento in time . Who the hell would get married in Sac in July?

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Thank you for the invite. Never know where the wind will blow us.
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote
[/quote]

I like to stop at Van Isle Marina in Sidne to clear customs. They will help dock your boat, answer any questions and fill your tank with gas all at the place. It is very convenient and they are super helpful.

To clear customs you just have to phone from the yellow phone.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used Sidney in the past but if we are headed north from the states is out of the way. We like poets if we are headed north thru the islands. And that route is not really that much further . Either way its only a one day run if I want it to be and only half a tank of fuel, i hold a 100 gallons and get 2.25mpg.

auto route has the trip at 108.9mi 4H32M 49.9G. going the east route. 111.8mi 4H39M 51.3G if I go to Silva bay. From bellingham to poets north to Powell river is 143.6mi 5H59M 65.8G. Cornet bay to poets to Powell is 125.0mi 5H59M 65.9G which is shorter then starting in bellingham.

So its still looking like from blaine is the shortest route. with many options if weather is bad.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Blaine launch costs $7 if I recall correctly, and there is unlimited free parking, you just need to let the port office know if you will be out more than five days. Best deal going and best spot to head to Canada.

From Blaine, you can go two directions - go to White Rock if you are going up the mainland side. This is a phone-in clearance. There used to be a phone on the dock, not sure if there is any longer or not, if not, call via cell. it is possible somebody will come from the I-5 border crossing but really unlikely. The mainland side is faster IF the weather is OK and the wave height is manageable. If not, you can get your fillings knocked out. Go WIDE around the Fraser River, and don't ask how we know! We have done this many times.

The other option, if you have a NEXUS, is to go from Blaine to Cabbage Island, which amazingly is a designated port of entry, and phone in via cell phone. If no customs person appears within half an hour (and they do not and never will unless you trigger some red flag, since Cabbage Island is nowhere near anything else at all), you are in Canada and free to proceed on up through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo or, better yet, Comox - take Martin up on the free beer, or maybe you will get dinner our of it like we did last July on our scooter trip on Vancouver Island!

Canada telephone reporting numbers are NEXUS: (866) 996-3987, non-NEXUS (888) 226-7277. You can now pre-register your travel infromation via email for faster processing, see this site.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping to make this year's Powell River event but the ol' work schedule just won't allow. Instead, I'm now planning a trip up that way possibly as far as Desolation Sound right before the CBGT, from July 1 - July 13.

Great discussion on where to clear Canadian customs, very helpful! Cabbage Island, seriously? That little rock right behind Tumbo? Whodda thunk? Looks like you can also use a Canpass at that stop, for which the application process appears slightly simpler, slightly less expensive and doesn't require an interview. I'm going to look into it, but may not have it by the 1st, in which case I'll cross at Poets Cove or Sidney. Return trip I plan to come back straight into Cap Sante at Anacortes.

Perhaps it's possible to meet up with some other Brats while up that way. I will probably depart Anacortes Fri night Jun 30, overnight at Stuart, then make the crossing into Canada Land first thing on Saturday and continue North as far as weather permits that day. Since it will be both a Canadian and US holiday weekend and probably extra busy. My plan is to get North fast, and spend as much time as possible exploring those waters up there. Really looking forward to my first adventure north of the border in the 22!

-Mike

bridma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your northbound or southbound trip, try and spend a bit of time in the Gulf Islands. There is so much to see and do on a small boat.
The week prior to the PR gathering we will be hanging out on the water, either Desolation or Sunshine Coast area. Give NOMAD a call on Ch16 and see where we are.

Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, July 1 is Dominion (or) Canada Day. Should be some good celebrations going on north of the border. If you can make it to Port Harvey, they have a pretty good weekend scheduled.

Quote:
CANADA 150
Come celebrate Canada's 150 birthday on July 1, 2017. Many activities are being planned. Pancake breakfast, PHYC AGM, Annual Ho-Shoe tournament, Capt'n Charlie will be entertaining, Dinner provided by George and Gail, Fireworks display. Reservations are recommended.
Posted by George and Gail Cambridge, Port Harvey Marine Resort

If it works out with your schedule, it could be worth the trip, and the are not far from Campbell River.

Hope to see some C-Brats there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.powellriverloggersports.com/

Logger Sports are on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It looks like they will be a lot of fun.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look fun. Those guys have some pretty fast chain saws.

Might be worth checking out. Some of those saws probably have more power than my
C-Dory.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

bridma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, we have to pull out of the PR gathering. Nomad is for sale, she is all cleaned up inside and out, and I have taken all my crap off. Not going to risk getting her dirty or suffer any dings. Have a great time. I know we will see some of you in the future.

Martin.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
We're heading north towards the Broughtons around the 8th of July. You may remember us from when we had Bess-C our 25. We'll be on our 46 West Coast, and might stop by the gathering if we're taking our time and moving slowly. We miss the C-Brat group.

Would Powell River or Lund be the best spot to fill with diesel?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
cgypsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your way to Powell River you may consider stopping by Pender Harbour (yes we spell it with a u) and check out Pender Harbour Days on July 7, 8, 9. It is there annual Celebration of Marine Heritage.

http://www.penderharbour.ca/schedule.html

After checking out Pender Harbour days you would have just enough time to make a side trip to Princess Louisa Inlet and Jervis Inlet or into Sechelt Inlet before arriving at Powell River in time for the CBGT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: