The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger moving strong into the outboard market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comments:

I did sell my CD 22 and bought a nice 37ft Taiwan Trawler 10 years ago. The trawler was less than a new CD 25 at the time.

We have enjoyed the space, comforts, (two heads and a shower), and range (1000 miles on diesel).

What we have learned is that slip rent is a reality, as are haul outs for bottom paint, a diver to check and replace zincs, and ongoing maintenance. The 40 ft slip rent is now $600/mo for covered moorage. If a trawler can sit out in the rain, outdoor storage on land is available for about $300/mo. Another expense is driving to the marina to check on the boat.

We are now considering going back to a 25 to 30 ft trailer boat that can spend winter parked in our driveway under a tarp. I looked at the Ranger 27 at the boat show, and I liked it. I also liked the CD 255 Tom Cat.

I have noticed that new 25-30 ft boats are outrageously expensive!

I would like to see a R-272 in person, and see some actual fuel burn/speed numbers.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "movin' on up" (or down) discussion was recently on the Tugnuts, and a motorcycle and an RV forum where I participate. My response on the Tugnuts...

----------

Often, "the dream" isn't the same as the reality. The boat brochures don't show wave heights at the top of the cabin, the dog falling between the boat and the dinghy, the first mate puking in the head, or the skipper confused about what that upcoming nav aid means. Very Happy Nor do the high end motor coach ads show the sewer hose popping loose from the connection, I-10 across Louisiana, sitting in a truck repair place while a guy with greasy boots walks through your coach, or the fact that most RV sites can't accommodate a 45' coach AND the converted box van in the next site with 6 kids, 4 dogs, and a rooster.

Of course, those things didn't happen to us... we don't have a dog... and a cat is easier to fish out between the dock and the boat... except for those razor-sharp claws and teeth.

It all depends on how each couple handles the reality. Cool

Some people need a piece of dirt somewhere with a place to keep their stuff. Some never intended to do extended boat cruising or RV traveling... but, found out they enjoy it so much that they wanted something bigger so they could stay out longer.

The reality is NEVER as carefree as the ads, and those who go into it knowing that have a much better chance of buying the right conveyance. We have had a bunch of boats and RVs... there is something to the saying: buy your third boat first. Meaning: knowing the difference between how you think you will use it and how you will really use it. Many people get a boat with the idea that grandkids, friends, (insert your crowd choice here) will want to cruise with you... that is rarely the case. By the time kids are 12, family (parents and grandparents) are embarrassing and they'd rather be with their friends. Friends and neighbors have other things they want to do with their weekend... and they sure aren't going to be around when it's time to wax the hull or pay for maintenance.

Most boats and RV are best utilized by... a couple. You often need two people to get them parked (docked), and even 40' is too small after a fine Mexican meal.

So, buy the boat that the two of you will use. Make sure it is big enough that you can take care of your daily needs (a real potty, shower, meal prep, comfortable places to sit, a comfortable bed, and storage for your stuff), but small enough that the two of you can handle it. And, understand that as you age, you will get smarter about how to handle it, but there will be some physical things you could do a year or two ago (insert eye roll here) that you can't do now.

And, because of all that, we move up or down... thinking that 3 more feet will be "all we will ever need"... or 3 less feet will be easier to handle. And that is what keeps boat and RV manufacturers busy, and creates a good used market.

-------------

We all look for that ideal size, but that changes as our usage changes. For a couple's extended cruiser that is still trailerable, Ranger has hit a sweet spot with the 27. Or, both the 27s they offer.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James TXSD. I read this on Tugnuts (at least twice), read it here and will keep reading to be sure it sinks in.

Jake
Blindbaybob

City/Region: Kamloops
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Grey C'Lune
Photos: Grey C'Lune
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
Our Rosborough 246 with twin Yamaha 150s, that you saw in the Broughtons in 2015, is available due to changes in circumstances.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Ranger moving strong into the outboard market Reply with quote

Rumor has it that 272's won't be available to dealers until July.
I always thought about waiting a year before buying a new model of anything. We went from a 23' C-Dory to a R-27 Ranger Tug. We have had it a few years it has just over 200 hours. My thought is now to go back to a simple aluminum fishing boat or a Parker 21' center console. I'm leaning toward the aluminum as I'm tired of polishing jel coat all the time. Darker colors which I like can keep you real busy.
D.D.

NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
<snip>

Marc Grove from Wefings has made real efforts to get these boats in front of the public.

I can not say enough good about Marc both before and after the sale. Very Happy

I can say that on the sailboat side, Seaward had a dealer that promoted the brand and sold a ton of boats. They decided to have NO dealers. Factory direct. Except the factory provided little support, in particular to older boats. Didn't go over well.

Owners are the best sales persons for any brand. Builders know this and provide support for owners groups (the good ones do). But it seems all of this was lost along the way.

Without this forum, we never would have considered a C-Dory. And we bought one because of the owners we met last year at the Mississippi River gathering.

Our decision to sell had zero to do with this group or the quality of our boat. After discussions, we decide to sell the boat.

Mike, the new owner of Willow, will make a good forum member (if he has not already joined). Willow will be happy to be in Alaskan waters and to be used as it was intended.

Thanks to all of you who made us feel welcome here.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.

Last edited by NancyandBud on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud,

Good to have you here, and the best as you go forward. It is always good to be happy and always best if "Momma" is happy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is getting depressing!! I dont think there's anything wrong with both loving our boats (which most of us do) and also being okay with the fact that
there are always gonna be better boats out there.

For some Brats their C Dory will be their only boat, now and in the future. For others, they are just stepping stones to an eventual substantial upgrade. And then lastly, I'm sure there's a percentage of folks who bought a CD and weren't happy or it didn't live up to their expectations or needs.

For whatever group you claim allegiance to, I think that's fine! IMO itd be crazy to remain brand loyal if you're not 100% satisfied with the product. The MOST important aspect is the Brat extended family. That's why there's so many folks who have moved on to different brands but still remain active on the site . That's awesome!

As for me....Im in the the 2nd group of owners that I described. I love my new (to me) 25 but it will be a stepping stone boat in my journey. I will eventually end up in a 28-35' downeast or trawler style. MORE beam....When will this happen?? Im not sure, at a minimum at least a year or two away. For 2017 I'm gonna enjoy my boat !! Woohoo!

I'm a Brat for life though.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jason, and whatever boat you float, keep being a Brat Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you really want that outboard and real glitz: The Formula 430 may be for you. Only 1600 HP, 500 gallons of fuel, Price with options is getting close to 1.25 million dollars.

I guess these types are becoming "Common" I noticed a 40 foot Yellowfin with 4 350 hp outboards on one of the nearby subdivisions! It was on the street, since too big to get into his yard!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula is just down the road from me. Same place they build the giant RVs.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger has nothing on the C-Dories when it comes to flash! lol

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice floor Ken. I like it!
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody earlier in the thread asked me what I thought . See This.
That was our experience and the brokers that sell the outboards are not Yamaha dealers ,or warranty certified and have no service departments . Its all downhill from there .
Buyer beware.
Marc

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,
It sounds like the owner had little or no contact with the factory--until the day he wrote the critical post. Then he had several posts from the factory.

I am aware of the dealer (not Marc!)--who does not have any service facility--but apparently relies on sub contractors. (The dealer, who also responded to the post, is only a few miles from my house on Perdido Bay.)

Marc--has it been a dealer or factory lack of response?. Andrew stated they would solve the problems by flying factory people down to Panama city if necessary.

Are there construction flaws, design flaws. or poor quality control. Having carpet on the walls, and overhead, are potential nightmares in Florida--and once mold gets in there it means removal, and redo. Seeing what happens in a C Dory without any covering (Mold grows), always fear what is going on behind the upholstered walls..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: