The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Load Bearing Roof-Solar Heated Freshwater Supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Load Bearing Roof-Solar Heated Freshwater Supply Reply with quote

Hello Dory Guys,
Although I don't have my C-Dory 22/25 yet, I am laying out all the additions on paper and scheduling the time/cost in advance so when she shows up in my driveway , I will be able to hit the ground running.

My question is this. What is the load bearing weight of the roof top of the 22 and 25 C-Dory?

I am considering placement of a additional water supply tank and solar heating for cockpit showers. I would like to have about 30 gallons available and that would come to approx. 240 lbs. (full). The tank size and area of the weight distribution is what the structural bearing will determine.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Mike
22 Boston Whaler Revenge for sale or trade for C-Dory 22/25
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't if the load is the primary concern -- I'd be a bit worried about raising the center of gravity too much by putting a lot of weight on the roof. Especially weight that can shift easily (like water). Someone needs to do the calcs on how much the boat might roll if 1/2 a tank sloshes over to one side while the boat is already tilted to that direction....
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center raised portion of the roof is pretty thin on the CD25. I equate it to the roof or hood of a car. We routinely lay on it (carefully) but avoid walking or standing on it. We do carry a large sun shower and Dinghy on it from time to time. I don't think supporting 240 pounds on the center section, even in a bladder spread across the entire area would work while underway though.

The edge of the roof to the rails is as solid as the deck. As far as the center of gravity, I think 30 gallons of water on the roof of a CD25 would work fine if done right and properly baffled. I am not so sure about a 22. Keep in mind there is a major difference in overall weight between a 22 and 25. What kind of tank/configuration did you have in mind?

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned on a custom tank located under a radar arch and secured to both the arch and roof top. I know it would have to be baffled to avoid the pit falls Mike pointed out about center of gravity. I think the 30 gallon goal may be a bit to bold.

I am looking to rig the boat for long range cruising (Circle Loop) and wish to spend more time on the hook then at dock.

Mike
MichaelOnTheClaraMae

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
Photos: Clara Mae
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted. There are a few long haulers here that will be interested in what you come up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: