ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up on the book about where the author switched out of the C-Dory. While some here might consider this blasphemy, to me the book read like it was written by someone regurgitating a thesaurus. Maybe I just missed the finer points the author was trying to make.

As someone previously pointed out in this forum, "River Horse" is not about C-Dorys nor boating.
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we did the last section of his journey. This was the 500 NM down the Snake and Columbia Rivers in the footsteps of Lewis & Clark.

Without a doubt this was the single best thing we have done with our C-Dory over the past 20 years. We would recommend this trip to anyone.

We liked the trip so much that for this year we are doing the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers!

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just happened that Google Books had the Fort Peck to Virgille section of River Horse available online.

They took the C Dory up as far as the the last (western) boat launch on Lake Fort Peck and then proceeded by canoe and 4 hp motor up the river. That apparently wasn't going good and they switched to a jet boat. They missed a fuel delivery, ran out of gas, radioed for gas, floated down river to a vehicle access point where they had more fuel delivered, proceeded on, but miscalculated mileage and ran out of gas again at night. They had no overnight gear and decided to hike out the last several miles in the dark after their flashlight batteries died.

Their intended upstream point was the one I was looking at as a possible departure point to go downstream (Coal Banks on Google Earth). So, in theory it would be possible to take a motor boat downstream from that point to the reservoir and then on to the Fort Peck Marina.

Since the book was written, there have been some "no wake" rules put into place on the upper Missouri, but the rules are based on time of year and direction of travel. When going upstream, a motor boat would almost be forced to put out a wake and that appears to always be exempt. I can see where campers travelling downstream in canoes and kayaks might find that offensive.

From motor boat experience in the book, it seems like the line between adventure and misadventure can be thin on this section of the Missouri. Maybe that's not the case with more research and preparation.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

I also "ran out of gas" reading that book. Felt badly about not finishing. May start again with and older point of view.

I wanted to do the Yukon from Whitehorse to the sea but ran out of time and want to. Too old.....and as trump says "sad".
Also my friend that wanted to go along passed away.
Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Last Chance Reply with quote

I have a copy of River Horse that is going begging. If anyone here wants it, PM me. Otherwise it's going in the thrift store donation box.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Chance Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I have a copy of River Horse that is going begging. If anyone here wants it, PM me. Otherwise it's going in the thrift store donation box.

Thrift store donation is the absolute best use for this book. Painful read, I guess people either love it or hate it. Put me in the latter category.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: