hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Colby. You will like not having to worry about having "current" flares on board now. Might keep the piece of the package that give the US Coast Guard info. My VSI check inspector did not know about the E flare.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, You found a better deal!

I checked the link for Defender and it was working this morning. In case others are interested you can find it at Defender by searching on

"Weems & Plath SOS Distress Light Promotional Bundle"

Phil
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree good find. Fawacett's Marine supply has been around a long time. I shopped there in 1968 and in 1983! It has been "The" Annapolis boat store before West Marine came around! On the fence about buying one...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sort of on the fence Bob. There was no way I was going to pay $100 for something probably not worth $20! But it's been $99 now for several years, so not sure it's going to come down much. When I heard about the $65 deal at the Boat show, it started to get me looking again. Then when the Defender link came up for $69 I thought I should go ahead and get it. But the shipping charge there turned me off, so some more googling, and the other place popped up. The only reason I'm getting it is for lack of expiration. And it is after all one more piece of safety equipment that I hope I never have to use. I'll still keep my flares and flare gun on the boat, as I think those flares are going to be a lot more visible during high seas! Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I'm with you on keeping the flares and pistol aboard. Now I will be able to put them all in the same bag though. It's marked "Expired - For Practice" per the VSI inspector's direction.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: SOS Distress Light Reply with quote

This discussion got me thinking. So here is question from a dummy. What, if any, are the CG requirements for freshwater boating, which is now where I spend all my time. Although I have a radio, on a radio check, I at times get no response. This is because I am in a canyon where the signal is blocked or no one in range is monitoring marine frequencies.
Wigeon

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Nautical had sold out by the time I arrived at the Seattle Boat Show Friday to buy the electrical SOS flare, but they were happy to ship it to me with no charge for shipping. It was $65+8.7% Bellingham sales tax. Jim, the owner, handled my order and couldn't have been nicer. I will do business with them in the future. Larry
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: SOS Distress Light Reply with quote

jack keifer wrote:
This discussion got me thinking. So here is question from a dummy. What, if any, are the CG requirements for freshwater boating, which is now where I spend all my time. Although I have a radio, on a radio check, I at times get no response. This is because I am in a canyon where the signal is blocked or no one in range is monitoring marine frequencies.

Jack, The US CG regulations are the same, but you may not run into any of them. BUT, you may encounter LEO (Law Enforcment Officers) or Fish and Game officers and they also have regs. Get a copy of their regulations, probably state based, that you need to meet. There may not be much variation.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

State of Idaho requires:
Certificate of Registration On Board
Validation Stickers Displayed
PFDs: Type I, II, or III [some have to be worn to count]/
PFD: Type IV [throwable device]
Type B-I Fire Extinguisher [2 on a C dory size boat.]
Backfire Flame Arrestor Ventilation System Muffler [Inboards, or tanks below decks]
Horn, Whistle, or Bell [I would definitely have a horn]
Daytime Visual Distress Signals
Nighttime Visual Distress Signals
Navigation Lights

I think that an anchor should be included, as well as bilge pump.
Personal locator beacon, if you boat in remote areas.
We also believe that a waterproof DSC enabled hand held VHF radio is very desirable. It is possible that the DSC signal may be picked up where a voice may not be.
First aid kit is desirable. We also like survival kits/ditch kits in remote areas.
Several states require that the kill switch lanyard be attached to the operator.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lanyard thing usually only applies to boats with outside operator stations. The C-Dory (at least the 22 and 25) would be exempt because it has an enclosed helm.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
The lanyard thing usually only applies to boats with outside operator stations. The C-Dory (at least the 22 and 25) would be exempt because it has an enclosed helm.

That is correct, and there also maybe size limits: Alabama has the following:

Quote:
§ 33-5-72. Emergency engine or motor shut-off switch.
(a) It shall be unlawful on the waters of this state for any person to operate, or give permission to another person to operate, any vessel less than 24 feet in length having an open construction and having more than 50 horsepower, unless the vessel is equipped with an emergency engine or motor shut-off switch.
(b) The shut-off switch referred to in subsection (a), shall be a lanyard-type engine cutoff switch and shall be attached to the person, clothing, or personal flotation device of the operator, as is appropriate, and shall be constructed and installed in a manner so that when in use, any removal of the operator from the normal operator station will result in the immediate shut-off of the engine or motor.
(c) For the purpose of this section, “open construction” means any vessel described herein not having a permanently affixed top or cabin.
jack keifer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: SOS Distress Light Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. In looking through Bob's list, everything is covered including first aid, and anchor, except the day/night distress signals and the DSC. Our boat does not leave the dock without PFDs on. I should get the missing items. Over time we have had a couple of interesting incidents. Most recently this summer, we were at the far end of Redfish Lake, Idaho tied up to end of a 40 ft dock. After dinner and going to bed, I woke up to see in the moonlight, a good size black bear standing at the end of the dock about 3 ft away. Not having a great interest in having him join Ellen and I on a 16 ft boat, I began to unzip my revolver case. When he heard that noise he left, which was I was glad to see, not sure what would have happened if I would have had to shoot through the backdrop. I do know that from now on, the .357 goes instead of the .327. Guess it was not my imagination, as the next morning I surveyed the teeth marks he left in a cooler we had on the dock next to the boat.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, it sounds as if you left a lure on the dock! Probably pretty unlikely the bear would have tried to come on the 16 foot boat, but if there was food left out--it is possible. Sure be a shame to have to shoot one--we have always found they run away...but there is that exception--and especially if a cub is involved.. (yes I was always armed with a .357 in the lower 48, and .44 in AK.) We always had bear spray.

I know of one fisherman (salmon troller) who had to fend off a bear boarding his boat from the water. From my back packing days, I know that the black bears can do about anything to steal food.
jack keifer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: SOS Distress Lightro Reply with quote

Bob,
Your right! I made a mistake by leaving the cooler on the dock. I incorrectly thought no bear would come down a 40 ft dock. Won't do that again. I agree it would have been unlikely he would have come on because the dock line was pretty loose and the 16s roll quite a bit when you put a foot on the rail. No matter, I will change what I do as we often on our own at night. One might not be lucky every time.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Weems and Plath distress signal sent out by Captains Nautical. I was going to fire it up, but I don’t have any C type batteries at home. I have a dozen at the shop, and I know that they are less than a year old, but that brings up an issue. The directions say to change the batteries annually, so I have a 6 year supply of batteries, right? You can see the issue. How old can the batteries be, even if changed annually, and still meet the CG requirement?

The CFR is silent. Most C batteries have an expiration date, which is generally seen as a date when the manufacturer assumes the battery will be below 80% of manufacturing specs. For Duracell brand, that’s usually 10 years out. So the major benefit of changing batteries annually may be to check for corrosion.

The power requirement (46 CFR § 161.013-9) does not contain battery specifications, including anything about expiration dates. Odd that the flares have a date on them (as do most C batteries) and yet nothing about batteries is stated in the CFR. It does require a battery that can operate the light in SOS mode for 6 hours, but how is that tested? After all the requirements stated for flares, it seems that the light gets off “lightly.”

I bought one just to guarantee that I meet CG requirements, but I’ve had enough experiences with batteries to know that not all batteries are created equal. My latest experience was an enterprising business that “rebadged” inexpensive zinc/carbon batteries as rechargeable NiMH batteries and sold them on Ebay. I just happened to buy some and, when they quickly discharged and would not recharge, I did some Google research and found that the market had been temporarily flooded. Others had them pop open and ruin chargers. The labels were very professional and were actually a copy of a legitimate rechargeable battery but were covering up the original label (all in Chinese). So I need to make sure (somehow) that the batteries in my safety equipment are “legitimate.”

There is also the issue of amp hours. Alkaline C batteries can hold up to 7,800 mAh, rechargeable NiMH can hold up to 6,000 mAh, and zinc/carbon usually hold up to 2,200 mAh. Presumably, all zinc carbon batteries (when new) meet the CG 6 hour operating time, but there are choices. We have had the same alkaline batteries in our ACR Fireflys for years. They still work, but after thinking about it, it is time for an "annual" change.

The SOS pattern is actually part of the USCG light requirement. As has been pointed out, I also think the SOS idea is outdated. It was a wonderful thing in 1838 when a ship could use its whale oil semaphore lantern to signal to shore that it was in distress. It was still a good idea in 1938 when every Boy Scout learned it (and good flashlights even had a special Morse code button). It won’t mean anything by 2038.

Besides the outmoded use of Morse code, it makes little sense on a light that might be floating on the water surface. What would it look like from any distance in a two foot chop. One long. Was that two shorts? Maybe that’s two longs? The “long and short” of it is don’t expect any assistance to result from this light when its floating.

A new pattern, possibly incorporating color changes, would be simple with LED technology. Maybe something like alternating red and white changing every .5 seconds. Something that would be uncommon (except on yachts with a disco deck). An alternating color change would be recognizable even if seen intermittently in rough seas.

A new signal protocol that is recognizable even from glimpses of a floating light would require a “retraining” of the public. Since only 15% of the public could now recognize a regular SOS, it may be time for a retraining anyway. Like that will ever happen.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: