Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Vessel Name? Reply with quote

As mentioned in the Death Valley thread, we bought the 22 Cruiser formerly known as C-Girl, and have been cogitating on a new name. All the good names seem to be taken, and I don't want to hijack someone else's creativity in the name dept. Some of you gave good suggestions for our area. Much appreciated! If this attempt at a name seems out of place after a week or two I might go with one of them.

In keeping with what my limited exposure sees as the general good nature of C-brats, and being a serious-minded fun enthusiast myself, I think we have settled on a name with a twist: Dory Sin Nombre. You might have to run the Spanish name through a translator to catch the contradiction.

I'm not putting the name to a vote, but would like to hear your thoughts. Am I off base or does it fit with the general personality of the C-Brats?
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good wordplay, but maybe to good. I'm one who thinks creativity in boat naming can be overdone. If you plan on using the VHF very much to communicate with marinas & other boaters or have an emergency, a name that is easily understood, remembered & pronounced will make communication, while using the boat much simpler, effective & easier to do.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it fits the general personality (We are pretty fun loving) and the play on words is fine. I tend to think that simple is better in many cases. Take a name, and say it three times, now say it again, faster and louder. And again. See what it sounds like, think about how it will sound over the radio, and remember there may be times you have to spell it for clarification. On long names, I have heard them shortened, so you may wind up hearing a "nick name" not of your choosing.

Then remember, It's your boat, and you can call it what you want. There is no hurry, you can take your time, pick one and let it soak for a while before you commit, and try it on.

Names. Lots of fun. Enjoy,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Became

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we worked on a name for our boat...our kids came up with lots of names ....things like C-Tard and C-Nile.... I loved Star Wars...and C3PO was my favorite...next to R2D2 (just could not work that into a boat name)...

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jay--be careful with a name which is easy to understand on the radio--and it should be unique. Some names are so common, that there may be confusion as to what boat it is.

Many years ago, I named a boat. "el médico" Which is Spanish for "The Doctor". The first time I used the name on the VHF, calling another vessel, The immediate response was "This is Coast Guard Station Los Angeles--what is the nature of your medical emergency" Name changed!

Single syllable names work the best for radio-But that is very limiting.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Boat Names Reply with quote

Years ago Mr. Walt Woodard who wrote a boating column for the Seattle Times wrote this:

"After you think you have decided on a name for your new boat, Go out on a street corner and holler it at the top of your lungs 3 times. If you can do that without feeling like a complete idiot, paint it on your boat." Wink

I would like to add, Please use letters at least 6" tall, on a contrasting back ground. Any boat name you cannot read over 50 ft' away is useless and remember...English is the most common language spoken here. CoolSmile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above. AND the large lettering.

And, Placing the lettering forward of the nav lights will allow you to walk the gunnel without scuffing the lettering.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with whatever name YOU like. You know better than us and you have to live with it! Not us. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the group.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As new C-Dory owners we are playing around with a short list of names to rename our new boat and to personalize it. I have never owned a boat bigger than a canoe and in keeping with the C-Dory, C-Brats tradition one of the names we are considering is "C-Sick". Wink

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to translate that one, as my Spanish ain't so good. (Come to think of it, neither is my English! lol) SO finally found it means no name. Cute. But before I got to that, it looked like there was a movie by that name also. This is the description of the movie:

Sayra, a teenager living in Honduras, hungers for a brighter future. A reunion with her long- estranged father gives Sayra her only real option--emigrating with her father and her uncle into Mexico and then the United States, where her father now has a new family. Meanwhile, Casper, is a teenager living in Tapachula, Mexico. A member of the Mara Salvatrucha gang brotherhood, he has just brought to the Mara a new recruit, 12-year-old Smiley. While Smiley quickly takes to gang life, Casper tries to protect his relationship with girlfriend Martha Marlene, keeping their love a secret from the Mara. But when Martha encounters Tapachula's Mara leader Lil' Mago, she is brutally taken from Casper forever. Sayra and her relatives manage to cross over into Mexico and join other immigrants waiting at the Tapachula train yards. When a States-bound freight train arrives one night, they successfully rush to board--riding atop it, rather than in the cars--as does Lil' Mago, who has commandeered Casper and Smiley along to rob immigrants. When day breaks, Lil' Mago makes his move and Casper in turn makes a fateful decision. Casper must now navigate the psychological gauntlet of his violent existence and the physical one of the unforgiving Mara, but Sayra bravely allies herself with him as the train journeys through the Mexican countryside towards the hope of new lives.

As for the other comments. Spanish is also frequently spoken here, but not everybody understands it.... Dory Sin Nombre is pretty easy to say and hear I believe. I've seen some names longer. And a name on a 22' boat probably isn't going to be seen from more than 100 ft away anyway, since the boat might not even be seen! LOL. My boat's name, Midnight Flyer, came from it's previous owner. He said it was a music group. I'd never heard of them, but since I flew a lot of very late night flights before I retired from the airlines, I liked the name and kept it. Had I not been remarried, I might have renamed it to my first (late) wife's first name and middle initial, like the big fishing boats do!
Cool Colby
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a caller on 16 once hailing a boat called May Day. After calling a couple of times the Coast Guard got on and asked if he had an emergency. He told them his buddy's boat was named May Day. The didn't seem pleased and requested contact information for his buddy. I would have loved to hear the conversation when they found that guy.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKMel,

Welcome aboard! We took nearly two years to name our boat, and I know others in the group who have taken longer. Take your time and don't let anyone pressure you. When you find the right name you will know it.

David

According to USCG Regs for documented boats, "The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets." Although these rules are for documented boats, I am sure that there must be a similar rule for registered ones as well.
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--- duplicate post --- self-deleted ---
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second Jay's thoughts on communicating your vessel's name.

We named our boat "Here & Now". Every time we radio ahead for a slip, they say: you're here now??
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferg wrote:
I have to second Jay's thoughts on communicating your vessel's name.

We named our boat "Here & Now". Every time we radio ahead for a slip, they say: you're here now??

That's funny! When coming into Sitka, Alaska & calling for a dock slip, they always ask where you are now, due to there being three marinas run by the same Harbor Master. I sure can see how the communication could get confusing to you & the Harbor Master & hilarious with your boat name to the other boaters listening on the VFH.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: