Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Death Valley Encounter Reply with quote

I don’t have much to contribute so decided to remain a lurker. I did register recently, but summers we must travel to a library to get internet, and that wifi is slower than slow, and not conducive to forum interaction. A chance meeting in Death Valley, CA…. of all places to encounter a C-brat, got me to post. My wife and I took a walk around a Furnace Creek campground. Two gentlemen were standing in the drive aisle between RV sites and we exchanged pleasantries. Questions ensued. That opened the door for further conversation and my ear caught the word “dory.” I asked whether he meant C-dory. He responded in the affirmative. In amazement I replied that I just bought one. C-brat Wandering Sagebrush (which seemed appropriate for someone you might met in Death Valley), AKA Steve, was one of the two. We talked several times over the next days. He urged me to post here that I am the new owner of C-Girl, a 22 cruiser. (We plan to re-name her soon. Seems all the good names involving “C” are taken. Being a serious minded fun enthusiast I’m working on something original. Stay tuned.)
Our summer residence is a cabin in Gustavus, Alaska, which is bordered by Glacier Bay NP. I had been looking for a cruiser to range around our neck of the inside passage. If all goes according to plan we will get our 22 north this spring.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the collective.
My son did a school kayak trip out of Gustavus 2 years ago up into Glacier Bay NP.
On returning to Juneau he and his class mates were picked up on two 26ft C-dorys. They hit some really nasty seas on their return, these boats handled it well.
Your new to you 22 will be a great way to experience the many wonders of this secluded Alaskan area.
Meeting up with Cbrats in Death Valley, curreal to put mildly.
My son informs me you have a great Harbor in Gustavus so should be a nice birth for your new boat.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard,
Steve is a great person to talk C Dorys with. You live in a great part of the World. Another Steve, is Steve (a veterinarian in Juneau) and his wife Colleen Torrence. They moved up from A C Dory 22, but live on the water just North of Auke Bay marina. He is a great resource for c Dory issues in the area.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Brat site (C-BRATS). It is a great place. Great for everything C-Dory. Great for the great people (as you already know, meeting Steve), and great for being with and about and for those of us who have a love for boating and being on the water. Some of us cruise, some of us fish, some do both, some spend most of their time working on their boats, and all of us enjoy talking, sharing and learning here.

And you are right, names are special. It is hard to find something new and different, original as you said. If you have been lurking around for a while, you may know of the "member list" button in the line just below the Logo banner. Directly next to that is one called "Our C-Dorys". Click on that and the far right column will list the "Vessel Name". You can cruise through that.

Another place is the BoatUS website has a boat name list. That one you will have to peek around for a bit because I don't remember the exact location. Look for something like "Naming my Boat". They also have a vinyl service to pick your font, name and color and they will send it to you for a $$. NO, you don't have to be a BoatUS member for either of those services.

GlacierC, Glay-C- er, eyeC, just seeds for thought. There is even a thread or two about naming. Some advice that was given to me was to say it three times in a row (Like making a VHF radio call) and see what it comes out like.

Best to you in your searching, and again, welcome.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

AKMel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents: The 22 was somewhat set up for Alaska, having relatively new touch screen electronics, digital radar, and a cockpit enclosure, but also lacking in aspects. No kicker. One needs a get-home backup motor as we are remote. I can swap the 10hp kicker off our fishing boat, but need to research the best bracket for C-dory with trim tabs. The VHF antenna was 3' short range so a new 8' is on the way. Also the existing anchor is fine for inland waters, but much too small for the tides and winds of SE Alaska. No heater. It has a butane KISS stove, but I've read they can have leak problems. Thinking about a Mr Buddy for daytime use. Only one battery too. I'm pondering whether to buy a small lightweight generator (boat has shore power and charger) and keep an eye on the existing battery, or add a second battery. I realize I can research those questions, or personal experience on any of the above would be appreciated. Thanks, Mel
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a remote control kicker motor without bracket. It will have tight clearances, but will work with tabs, without a tiller. Use rremote control box to shift and throttle, and tie the motors together with a removable tie bar mounted on front of motor bracket. I have had great luck with a wallas 1300 furnace running on kerosene on several boats -- zero problems. You can see examples of both the motor and heater in the Snoopy-C album. Ron
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a remote control kicker motor without bracket. It will have tight clearances, but will work with tabs, without a tiller. Use rremote control box to shift and throttle, and tie the motors together with a removable tie bar mounted on front of motor bracket. I have had great luck with a wallas 1300 furnace running on kerosene on several boats -- zero problems. You can see examples of both the motor and heater in the Snoopy-C album. Ron
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the last 14 years we have cruised much of SE Alaska in a CD22. Both a 2nd battery & small generator are good ideas. We have used a Buddy Heater there as a back up to the Wallas on all our cruises & it became the primary on several due to Wallas failures. The Buddy Heater will keep you warm, but certainly not dry. Condensation with its use is a severe problem. Around Gustavus & all SE Alaska with a inclosed cabin type boat, dry heat in my opinion will become a priority once you spend some time without it. Wallas diesel & kerosene burning heaters are chosen most often by PNW boaters, but there are other options too. Along with the Buddy Heater as a back up we also use a small electric ceramic powered by a Honda 2000 generator. The ceramic also provides good dry heat when at a dock with shore power available.

Jay

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mel, congrats on the C-dory, and cool story of a chance encounter!

Regarding input on the Mr. Buddy - I've been using one during my first winter of cruising in the C-dory 22, and with the door wide open, temps in the 30's, and the heater sitting back near the table on Low and pointing forward it is plenty of heat. It gets several hours on a propane cylinder. Can't really cruise with the door closed because the windows will fog up quickly, but no fogging issues with door open.
Previously I tried a Little Buddy on a couple of trips, which I don't recommend (the propane cylinders do not fit securely enough in the base for my liking. Also the Little Buddy is just ON or OFF, no adjustability like the regular Mr. Buddy). Only drawback to the Mr. Buddy is that one of it's many safety features is if you hit a wave too hard it shuts off, and in the C-dory 22 it doesn't need to be a big wave at all, any insignificant pound or slap of the hull...but that's OK because I'm mostly cruising at 10 kts or less, at which speed it's almost impossible to pound. I consider it a temporary solution until a more permanent Webasto or Espar is installed.

Also on the Butane stove - I'm using a $20 portable Coleman camp stove, I just remove the cylinder when not in use, as the instructions indicate. Store the cylinder outside if you are worried about leaks.

You mentioned the plan is to get the boat North this Spring...Are you taking it North TO Gustavus (if so, where is it now?), or going further North FROM Gustavus? (and if so, how far North?)

-Mike

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustavus- I was there last summer on a 25ft cdory ( not mine) Great place to see but I am not sure I would call it a town. Three buildings and two are liquor stores. Wink Wink

I had to catch a bus in to "town" and use the wifi to check on a few house deals and it was a very long and painful transaction.

We saw a few cdorys in the bay. Mostly older offshore models from the 80's. We anchored under the glaciers at night and it was wonderful.

As for heat I love the espar that we put in the 27CD. It will drive you out and always starts ( knock knock). Susan even drys clothes and hand towels in front of it. Easy to install and just works. We use a Origo Alcohol gas cook top. It is simple and easy to use and always lights. match , lighter, , flaming spaghetti noddle will all work. Never have to worry about having enough voltage.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say this on craigslist. This is the heater I have. If you go to the dealer in seattle they want almost 2 grand for the same kit. you will need a few extra part depending on your install but should be able to source those locally Cry Ok maybe before you go Alaska.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/6009338364.html
AKMel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great active site guys.

MikeR wrote:
Are you taking it North TO Gustavus (if so, where is it now?), or going further North FROM Gustavus? (and if so, how far North?) -Mike

The boat is currently in So Calif where we winter. We hope to haul it to Gustavus end of April or early May. This will be our 8th summer there.

[quote="Digger"]I would suggest a remote control kicker motor without bracket.[quote]

Will that work if I swap the kicker between boats occasionally? I currently have the kicker on our 20' Alumaweld and use the tiller. Eventually I may get another kicker. But for now....

[quote=hunkydory] The Buddy Heater will keep you warm, but certainly not dry. Condensation with its use is a severe problem[quote]

Great info! Several of you made me realize I need a heater that does not produce water vapor as a by-product, or if it does, expels exhaust outside the cabin.

Tom: I'll check out the Espar on Craigslist. Thanks.

On the Gustavus front, we are normally there early May through mid September (health permitting.) Is there a way to provide c-brats my phone number without advertising it to the world? We practice Alaskan hospitality and our door would be open to brat passers-by. Internet is not an option for us as we only check email about once a week. Sometimes less.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Life
A place for friends and family. This Forum is open to registered C-Brats Online members only, and is invisible to anyone not logged on.

Is going to be your best bet to put your phone number. Also I believe that you have to be a registered member to view profiles..Check that out.

I have to second those who say " get a diesel heater", with external exhaust. We have had good luck with our Wallas, and it worked for a month in AK. But when we had our Cal 46 in AK for 4 years (April thru Sept)--we had a circulating hot water system, diesel fired--and it was fantastic. The size of the C Dory makes the hot air systems better; not enough room for the burner, boiler, etc for hydronic heat. The one Tom linked to is a good buy. I would strongly consider it. I don't like the cartage propane/butane, type stoves. We have one only for back up if our Wallas ever fails.--

The generator--mostly for battery charging. We can run a 30 amp charger on an Honda EU 1000 i. Also will run an electric heater on 600 watts, as well as an induction burner on medium. Definitely get the Honda or Yamaha....in the long run these pay off!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Life
A place for friends and family. This Forum is open to registered C-Brats Online members only, and is invisible to anyone not logged on.

Is going to be your best bet to put your phone number. Also I believe that you have to be a registered member to view profiles..Check that out.

I have to second those who say " get a diesel heater", with external exhaust. We have had good luck with our Wallas, and it worked for a month in AK. But when we had our Cal 46 in AK for 4 years (April thru Sept)--we had a circulating hot water system, diesel fired--and it was fantastic. The size of the C Dory makes the hot air systems better; not enough room for the burner, boiler, etc for hydronic heat. The one Tom linked to is a good buy. I would strongly consider it. I don't like the cartage propane/butane, type stoves. We have one only for back up if our Wallas ever fails.--

The generator--mostly for battery charging. We can run a 30 amp charger on an Honda EU 1000 i. Also will run an electric heater on 600 watts, as well as an induction burner on medium. Definitely get the Honda or Yamaha....in the long run these pay off!
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip on the install of the espar if you go that way is this. Remember that these unit s were made for trucks and camper which are are more air tight then a boat. so the instructions tell you to route the " combustion air intake" from out side . But if you do that then you either have to have two holes in the boat, One for intake and one for exhaust, or you have to find a way to combined the two thru one thru hull. I could not find a way to do that and I did not want two holes. So what I did was route the Combustion air intake, thats the air going to the fire, from the low point in the boat. This not only saved me from two holes BUT it keep the boat drier. It sucks all the moist cold air off the bottom of the floor and burns it. When we are on anchor and run this heater the boat dries out in a hurry. You can feel it. The exhaust air, after it is burned is going out the side of the boat with any moisture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: