The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Where to go if you had a month……….
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Where to go if you had a month………. Reply with quote

If you could take a month this year, probably July where would you take your C-Dory? The boat is in Destin FL and we live in Athens GA. We love the Keys and use to trailer a sailboat there. The Keys are at the top of our list but we want to think about other options. We could follow the panhandle down and take the Gulf hop to Crystal River and on down to Charlotte Harbor/Captiva/Ft Myers. That would be an adventure. We’ve never power boated offshore. The smallest boat either of us has had in “blue” water 40+ foot sailboat. I know the hop from St Marks to the Nature Coast isn’t blue water but it’s still open.

We could head west to New Orleans as well. Or we could tow long distance. I just bought a 2012 GMC 2500 HD diesel so towing long distance is now an option. The boat has a nice roller dual axle with surge brakes. We’ve never used it. It is in storage.

Alicia and I work together and we’re trying to build our schedule so that we have periods of the year where we just need a computer, phone and the internet. No face to face meetings. That way we can be anywhere we have a computer/www/phone. We still need to work so we can’t be completely “off the grid” for extended periods of time.

I don’t have a lot of time to do tons of boat modifications. We have a 2000 Generator and a 9.9hp kicker that I am considering replacing with something that it more suitable for a dinghy. Lifting 110 lbs off the boat is not something we want to do in an anchorage. An open water passage might make me reconsider and we would have to store a dinghy kicker somewhere.

I just wanted to throw this idea out there to the group. I’ve spent the last couple of nights following old trips on this board and I have really started thinking. Please let me know what might be on your “short list”.

Thanks
Bob and Alicia

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me and Susan its easy. We would head to the San Juans and lower B.C. There are even a lot of areas of the south sound that we have not seen in the last 15 years we have been here. July is the perfect time to go. A whole month would be fantastic.

I have lived in the south a good deal of my life and you will not find me anywhere near is in the summer. Once it hits 85 I'm done with it.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might think about extra fuel...don't know what you have for motors but with my 22' I have only a safe 200 mile range...after that I start sweating
I get just a tad over 4 mpg...I would think a 25 would not do anywhere near that, unless they have a BIG fuel tank...or a sail.

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I slipped on the keys...double post..
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the kicker motor. I would go with the most hp for the weight. So a Suzuki 4hp is the same motor as the Suzuki 6hp. Just different cards and other parts. It weights the same, 55 lbs. So if the weight is the same get the higher hp for the dinghy and the cd. A 4hp might not plane the dinghy , depending on what you got an how big you are. But a 6 will and it will get the CD going just as god at a 9. (given no current and all else being equal)

Yamaha 4 and 6 hp are both 60 lbs.
Honda 4,5 and 6 are all the same at 60lbs.
Mercury 4,5,6 are all 57 pounds.
Suzuki 4,6 ( no 5) are all 55 pounds.

I would get the suzuki 6hp. they are all good outboards
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the kicker motor. I would go with the most hp for the weight. So a Suzuki 4hp is the same motor as the Suzuki 6hp. Just different cards and other parts. It weights the same, 55 lbs. So if the weight is the same get the higher hp for the dinghy and the cd. A 4hp might not plane the dinghy , depending on what you got an how big you are. But a 6 will and it will get the CD going just as god at a 9. (given no current and all else being equal)

Yamaha 4 and 6 hp are both 60 lbs.
Honda 4,5 and 6 are all the same at 60lbs.
Mercury 4,5,6 are all 57 pounds.
Suzuki 4,6 ( no 5) are all 55 pounds.

I would get the suzuki 6hp. they are all good outboards
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up Peace River then return, the Myakka River, ,leave
Charlotte Harbor to Caloosahatchee River over the East Coast down to the Keys, visit the Fort and return on coast side to Charlotte Harbor

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,
The 25's have 100 gallons, and we have made a number of over 200 mile trips.

Now the issue, is that July is gong to be hot in any of those scenarios you have outlined, in the South But trailering any where cool will eat up half or that vacation.... I was going to say the PNW and AK needs to be on everyone's bucket list--some of the best cruising in the World!

Then there is Lake Powell--do-able in July because the altitude is high enough to allow cooling at night for sleep--but hot in the days, and more houseboats and PWC--again a bucket list item.

Channel Islands of S. Calif--cool and nice weather.

Or go North--any where on the East Coast--including Maine--another fantastic cruising area.

Do you have air conditioning? (Don't say you never needed it on the sailboat--because we never did either...The C Dory is amenable to a fan pushing air thru the forward hatch, but in many areas, it really needs AC in Florida in the summer. For a boat which is moving a lot, I would suggest an RV roof AC unit--and the Polar Cub will run on the Honda EU 2000. The alternative is the window unit (5,000 BTU and not as much cooling (or you could use 7,000 window unit and still be OK. Too big it is too hard to move to the forward window.

Where to go? If you do the run from Destin down, I would cove hop, and then have the trailer staged at the end--or rent a vehicle to run home and pick it up in a day. Get a copy of Rick Rhodes, "Cruising the Big Bend" and Claiborne Young's West Coast of Florida. These are the best guides. Also study the Active Captain site--look at all of the anchorages.

Another option is going to be the St. John's river. We had missed that great cruising in our 25 years of living in FL--at least until last year! Some depends of the water levels as to accessibility, but lots to do. Also the ICW North from Amelia Island up to the St. Mary's area of Georgia are good cruising areas.

Another option is the Tennessee River. Lots of great cruising on the River Systems, and you can run up there in one day with the trailer. The Thomas/Rumsey Tennessee River, Ten Tom water way and lower Tombigbee River is the book for that trip.

The keys are good any time of the year. Actually the Bahamas are a good summer destination. But remember the summer thunderstorms, and be aware of tropical storms/hurricanes, even in July. The winter northers are gone, and the gulf stream crossing is far better than in the winter or even spring.

As far as the Northern Gulf Coast, Again Claiborne Young (tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a few years back)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuba Smile

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Powell !
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Bob and Alicia I hope you are enjoying your boat! You will love the 2500HD diesel and it does open up your options. We are geographically in the same boat. Atlanta/Birmingham and our boats in Destin.

I usually head south when I have a month off as my slow work time is Dec/Jan. If I had a month off in the summer I'd head up north somewhere. Chesappeak Bay, Long Island, Martha's Vineyard, Lake Champlain, the Canals and the North Georgian Bay etc. I have never cruised up north but, Lord willing, I will. If I had 2-3 month off I'd head to Alaska and I will, Lord willing!

So cool that you can actually take a month off and trying to figure out where to go and a beautiful boat to go in... nice problem to have!!!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wonderful to be on the East Coast. There's so much to see and do. OK, here's my suggestions, by a guy who has visited the East, not lived there. A 25 C-Dory is the perfect boat for any trip..

Chesapeake Bay. It's one of Americas great cruising grounds. Hot in summer. Stop by the Capitol.

Bahamas. A great place to visit, it's unlike the USA if you look in the right places. Great snorkeling and they sell gas.

Eire Canal, following a trip up the Hudson. History, the friendliest people in the world, where the Industrial Revolution started in the USA. Cool in summer.

North Channel at the top of Lake Huron, leading to the Trent Severn Canal.

A trip up the ICW, visiting all the historic sights and going the way least traveled.

A 25 C-Dory has a 100 gal fuel tank, good for over 250 miles at a time. however, they do sell gasoline wherever you go. I also realize it gets hot down south in the summer, so pick the best season for each.

Boris
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words......The Broughtons.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all kind of depends on where you start and how much of your time you are willing to tow as opposed to cruise I suppose!

We live on the Upper Left Coast (Birch Bay, WA), and there is no question in our mind where we would go if we had only a month. Our deal used to worse, only two weeks until I retired. Now I frequently don't know what day of the week it is much less the date. and given good health, there will be a number of longer cruises in our future!

If we were willing to spend six days of the month towing (three days in each direction), it would be Lake Powell for sure. Such a magical place! We have done this four times on our two week regime, and probably will go back again for a more extended period! If we were just going to launch and cruise, we would head into the San Juans, the Canadian Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia, Princess Louisa Inlet, Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. At this point, we would probably try to spend the majority of our time in the Broughtons, since Patty has never been there and I have only passed through on my way to Ketchikan.

Driving from Florida to Washington probably does not work with only a month. We are driving from Washington to Florida in about a month but we will have eight months for cruising the Great Loop! Maybe your West Coast cruising has to wait for retirement, but your should definitely plan on getting here.

I respect Dr. Bob and Boris, but we would not count on making 200 NM, much less 250 NM, on our 100 gallons of fuel. We don't want to coast in on fumes, so for planning, I assume 2 NMPG and a reasonable reserve when I arrive at the next fuel dock. For us, that means about 150 NM is the most range we count on. We usually do better than that, but I would hate to do worse! That said, we are now fairly confident that the Mississippi River portion of the Great Loop will not be a problem due to the river current pushing us along!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Alicia,

I'm seconding Big Daves recommendation --> the Broughtons.

That is up on the east side of the north end of Vancouver Island, on the BC coast. Yup, I know that's the opposite corner and about as far as you could possibly tow from Florida. That tow trip could be done in as few as 3 days, maybe less depending on your driving stamina, or it could take a week each way. That takes some time out of your month. But as Bob said, It is a must go to.

Take a look at my SleepyC on Vancouver Island 2016 thread. There are tons of "must see" places there, and in July you won't even need air conditioning.

Coming from that SE corner, I could understand being hesitant to tow across to that opposite corner. July, I would be looking for cooler weather. This year, there are some good $$$ bonuses for those who cruise the Canadian Canal/Lock systems. I would look north to the Trent-Severn system and go there. It will be a shorter tow. There will be more boats and more people than the Broughtons, but they deserve more than 2 weeks, really.

Best in your searching. This is a good place to ask, but as you see, it may not narrow your search (much) Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: