View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: North River Seahawk Boats Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has any input as to how good or bad North River boats are. I was thinking about getting a 23'er for Lake Ontario Salmon trolling. Any other aluminum boats would you recommend for this type of service?
D.D.

Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very popular out here on the West Coast, particularly down in the state of Washington. I have read that they are very well made. Like all welded aluminum boats, however, they command very high prices, which are probably justified based on the sheer durability and lifespan of aluminum hulls.

Of what they call the "cookie cutter" welded boats, all of the major brands are probably very good. Based on what I've read, North River is very near the top of that list. For a little bit more money, you could look at Silver Streak, Lifetimer, Northwest Aluminum Craft or Eaglecraft, which are Canadian custom welded aluminum boat builders. There are some very good custom builders in the US as well, both in Washington and Oregon. The ones I mentioned all have websites, with the possible exception of Northwest. Those along with the "cookie-cutter" welded boat websites will give you a really good idea of what's out there.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I have some friends who have a North River, Inboard power with a Jet Drive. Fast, Loud and sucks gas, but aside from that, the boat is very solid, well built, nice welds, smooth, no burrs that I noticed. It is about 23 feet but I don't know the model, but it seems like a good fishing machine (they do catch fish regularly, so they think it's worth it.)

I have been out with them several times, and aside from the noise it's a good time.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, no personal experience with them but I do like the forward raked windshield. Good for night fishing. The only thing I don't like about the design is the "helm forward" style. I assume it would lend itself to a rougher ride in chop and stuffing the bow would be downright scary! That is just my personal preference though. It does leave room for a larger cockpit for fishing which is what you want it for.

For comparison check out Stanley Boats made by Connor Industries in Parry Sound Ontario. They have a 23' hardtop - a 22' raised deck(cuddy) as well as all kinds of open walk around styles. The marina that services my boat is a dealer(Bridge Yachts) and I have checked out some of these boats at their yard. They had a 28' Coastal a while ago that I drooled over lots!

Both boats have similar deadrise 18 deg.

Regards, Rob

Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: North River Seahawk Boats Reply with quote

I'm looking at a 21' Seahawk with outboard power. Probably a Yamaha 150 hp and a Yamaha kicker 8 or 10 hp. Hewescraft also has similar boats. I guess I'll have to make another trip out west. Thank you all for your replies.
D.D.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're looking for is heavy gauge welded aluminum where the builder uses a marine grade alloy for at least the hull plate. Avoid Lunds and the like unless your use will be exclusively fresh water. North River does make a good production boat, and as mentioned there are several other very good ones. I have a Stabicraft 2050 Supercab (built in New Zealand on the Southern Ocean) which I love as a fishing/rough water commuting boat. Try AluminumAlloyBoats.com for research and a qualified builder list. Best of luck! Mike.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kpic.com/news/local/former-north-river-boats-owner-sentenced-for-murder-10-19-2015

North river boats has made a good come back after the horrible deal with the Owner and his girl freind/book keeper.

As far as the boats go , they built great boat. I have been on a few and I like the deep v offshore hulls. really cuts the water and does not pound as bad as some Northwest boats that try to be river and bay boats.

BUT for a really nice off shore big water boat I would get the stabicraft. Smoothies boat I have ever been on in chop or 4 footers. Fast and really good on gas. I have told Susan that if I ever have to get a day fishing boat the stabi craft would be it.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very unfamiliar with these boats, but my first reaction is to be sure you're not buying a flat water river boat for a huge inland lake that can be as rough or even rougher than the ocean, at times (closer, tighter, steeper chop due to torrid wind and limited water depth).

Take a good look at the hull design, free board, wind protection factor of the cabin/helm set up, and anything else that makes the boat adaptable to Lake Ontario.

What brands do the locals prefer? How do they compare?

Could the boat survive a quick, devastating, squall on a lake like Ontario like we've read about?

Not my area of expertise, but I know I'd think twice about this choice, and I know you will too!

Keep us up dated!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Riverjohn

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a North River SeaHawk 19'. Yamaha 115 & 8.
Great very solid, well made boats. In the NW they are one of the common local favorites. You see them all the time here, especially amongst salmon fishermen.

Will-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: North River Seahawk Boats Reply with quote

I looked at the Stabicraft. I'm sure they are a sturdy well made unsinkable boat. But if I had a dog who looked like that I'd have to shave his butt and make him walk backwards. At least the 20'ers. I thinking Hewescraft or Northriver. I'll have to look over both before making a decision. There are dealers who do handle both lines.
Joe, these boat are semi deep v's and are made for moderately rough water. I'm thinking I'll be able to hopefully out run the storm. From Henderson Harbor New York I would not be too far off shore. One of the homes I'm looking at has a boat house on Henderson Harbor which is pretty well protected. So I'm still in the preliminary phases of planning for my next stage. I'm selling our Ranger Tug and will down size to simpler faster outboard powered aluminum boat. I'm sick and tired of polishing gel coat.
D.D.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northriver boats are made in Roseburg, Oregon. I toured the factory last year (a friend ordered a 25 Sea Hawk). After spending the better part of 2 hours viewing the various stages of fabrication, I must say that I have great respect for the workers (especially welders). The continuous beautiful welds were a sight to behold and marvel over. Absolutely beautifully welded boats!! Also should perform well in any water 42 degree bow and 18 stern. My friends love them and praise their ride quality but I prefer plastic boats at this point in life, maybe tin later.
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Parker 2320 sport cabin? alas It is fiberglass and lots of room

Last edited by BrentB on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riverjohn

City/Region: Portland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IRA wrote:
Northriver boats are made in Roseburg, Oregon. I toured the factory last year (a friend ordered a 25 Sea Hawk). After spending the better part of 2 hours viewing the various stages of fabrication, I must say that I have great respect for the workers (especially welders). The continuous beautiful welds were a sight to behold and marvel over. Absolutely beautifully welded boats!! Also should perform well in any water 42 degree bow and 18 stern. My friends love them and praise their ride quality but I prefer plastic boats at this point in life, maybe tin later.

Spot on!
If an overnighter is part of the plan I say go glass. For mainly fishing the aluminums are nice. I will eventually go glass so the wife comes more often...and the overnighter aspect. Nice to be warm with a locking cabin.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: For Sale or Trade, female Bare Butt ChiHuaHua Reply with quote

That's right folks, I am offering a very rare Backwards Walking Trained Mexican ChiHuaHua (no green paper - sorry) in strait trade for any Stabilcraft at 20' or less. If you got a longer boat, can throw in an ugly cat and $5. Seriously, they are not pretty but Doc Warner's Fishing Lodge near Gustavus, AK has about converted his whole fleet to this brand.
Bob
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will-c, great thing about being ON a boast is you dont have to see what it looks like. I am a function over form guy. If it dont run chrome it . I truly thing that that the stabicraft is one of the best small big water boats made. With 8 or 9 separate air cambers I dare you to sink one. Smoothest ride in the chop. You are waiting for the bang as you come off a 4 fter and it just goes whoosh and settles in like its on air shocks. fuel economy is great. High sides and self draining decks.. etc ..etc.

Their big cabin cruising boat is just not that roomy but for a day boat on the salt it would be my first choice.

The owner of pangoo had one after he sold that boat and I got to drive it and fish out of it. Just loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: