The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Bottom Paint Do You Have on Your Boat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, When I talked to Jesse, he did indicate he put the boat into the water to find the waterline, and then would paint above that, (distance to vary but about 2 inches +/-) depending on load at the time vs typical cruising load.

Jesse certainly put me at ease re dropping the boat off and coming back having everything done right.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: painting the bottom Reply with quote

About 3 years ago i took the paint down to the gelcoat and applied 3 coats of epoxy paint and 2 coat of ablative bottom paint from West Marine .Here in SW Fl. if you don't paint the bottom within a week you will have barnacles and growth within a week .I usually do touch up for 2 years next year probably a full paint job again (bottom paint) .

Pat when you are down in Florida for your great Loop give a call or PM so we can meet up Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Can you put the hydrocote paint over ablative ? I like the idea of water wash up thanks JIM
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two labels are not mutually exclusive. Hydrocoat means water based, so hyrdocoat can be ablative. For example, I just painted Journey On's bottom with Pettit Hydrocoat which is an ablative paint.

Boris
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i just had a booboo below the waterline. It's all better now and i'll talk about it on another thread....lets just say that my bilge pump auto on feature works great. Anyways... I'm not at a point that i need to put on bottom paint. The boat came with bottom paint but i'm not sure what brand or type, just some kind of black ablative paint. What should i paint over it with?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the black Vivid it will work over ablative and hard. If there is a repair, the surface wax or amine should be removed, and then sanded before any paint.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,

If your 2007 bottom job is still doing well after 14 years, I would try very hard to use the same brand again.

If you want to do it yourself in the driveway, you want to use a low VOC, water soluble paint that is not HAZMAT in the trash to stay legal and healthy. Pettit says that if the underlying coating is in good shape (not flaking and peeling), 80 sandpaper, power washing, and/or a green Scotchpad can give enough “grip” for Hydrocoat. I don’t have a boat lift (Bob does), and I contend with a very shallow warm basin marina with little circulation that is a bottompaint’s nightmare. But I can slap on a couple of coats every 2 years or so (plus a diver cleaning service, since we may not cruise enough to ablate enough if we stay local in the summer, to take care of the sponson area that rests on the trailer bunks).

Hydrocoat is 40% copper and can not be shaken on a machine. Buy a 5 gal rated drill paint mixer, a 2.5g disposable plastic bucket and three to six 3/16 six inch rollers at HD. 1 gallon will do the exterior sponsons x2 and most of the tunnel. Switch to Pettit ECO (no metals) for the Armstrong aluminum bracket.

Bob has consistently extracted much better service from his Pettit Vivid than I have from Pettit Hydrocoat. It could be from his better conditions, or from Vivid being a better product. I wish we could tell which it was for sure!

Best of luck, and hope this is helpful!

John

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using interlux micron 66 for the last few years. The high copper content really helped keep the barnacles and growth at bay when we lived on the coast and had a dock. It's not cheap but really is effective.

Recently I had an incident with some uncharted rocks that nicked up our bottom, so after doing the repairs I needed to touch up the paint. I decided to try Rustoleum's ablative bottom paint after reading a few brats speak highly of it. Its quite a bit cheaper and according to the label also has a good amount of copper in it as well. It blended well with the previous coat of interlux, and looks good. I'm a believer and will probably use it from now on based on its more than competitive price and quality.

cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about what the previous bottom paint is. It's showing through in many areas due to bunk rub and general wear. I'm not too worried about VOCs as a i have a full face respirator with organic vapor cartridges.
This boat doesn't really need any bottom paint as it's only in the water for a few days at a time before being put back on the trailer, but the previous owner put it on so here i am.

Bob,
pettit vivid over the interlux csc?

gulfcoast john wrote:
Conrad,

If your 2007 bottom job is still doing well after 14 years, I would try very hard to use the same brand again.

If you want to do it yourself in the driveway, you want to use a low VOC, water soluble paint that is not HAZMAT in the trash to stay legal and healthy. Pettit says that if the underlying coating is in good shape (not flaking and peeling), 80 sandpaper, power washing, and/or a green Scotchpad can give enough “grip” for Hydrocoat. I don’t have a boat lift (Bob does), and I contend with a very shallow warm basin marina with little circulation that is a bottompaint’s nightmare. But I can slap on a couple of coats every 2 years or so (plus a diver cleaning service, since we may not cruise enough to ablate enough if we stay local in the summer, to take care of the sponson area that rests on the trailer bunks).

Hydrocoat is 40% copper and can not be shaken on a machine. Buy a 5 gal rated drill paint mixer, a 2.5g disposable plastic bucket and three to six 3/16 six inch rollers at HD. 1 gallon will do the exterior sponsons x2 and most of the tunnel. Switch to Pettit ECO (no metals) for the Armstrong aluminum bracket.

Bob has consistently extracted much better service from his Pettit Vivid than I have from Pettit Hydrocoat. It could be from his better conditions, or from Vivid being a better product. I wish we could tell which it was for sure!

Best of luck, and hope this is helpful!

John
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob,

Conrad, I have not used the Interlus CSC. The Vivid has worked well for me as a paint which holds up multiyear when the boat is trailer or sling kept, yet has to be in the water for months at a time. For instance the Caracal Cat is the boat we took to the keys with our RV. The boat would be in the water for 3 months and no significant growth. It holds up to multiple trailer launches...

In the Florida Keys, a boat without bottom paint will have significant growth starting in a week. Those without bottom paint have to pull the boat out every week and pressure wash it. This is every with daily use.

It is entirely possible that the Interlux CSC is equally as good.
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

Conrad, I have not used the Interlus CSC. The Vivid has worked well for me as a paint which holds up multiyear when the boat is trailer or sling kept, yet has to be in the water for months at a time. For instance the Caracal Cat is the boat we took to the keys with our RV. The boat would be in the water for 3 months and no significant growth. It holds up to multiple trailer launches...

In the Florida Keys, a boat without bottom paint will have significant growth starting in a week. Those without bottom paint have to pull the boat out every week and pressure wash it. This is every with daily use.

It is entirely possible that the Interlux CSC is equally as good.

Well, I'll give the vivid a shot then. This stuff as almost as expensive as printer ink.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,

We bought our prior boat #12 new, a 2004 Regal 2665 which came with with Micron 66 (salt or brackish water only). Boatyard re-did the bottom with Micron CSC at 4 years and 9 years when I was not confident enough to DIY. We mostly trailered in Miss and FL waters; I have no complaints or regrets.

If you DIY, how do you plan to lift the sponson wear areas off the bunks to paint the bunk contact areas...with this neat gizmo or some other way?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/98161

I'd still try the Vivid. Best of luck,

John
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common way to get between the bunks and hull is to use the trailer tongue: Get it as low as possible, then put cribbing under the stern between the bunks, and bring the trailer tongue up as nigh as possible. This usually will give a few inches over the aft bunks. Never put your hand between the bunks and hull! Then the trick is reversed--with the stern strapped to the trailer--and the tongue raised as high as possible, blocking under the hull forward, and then lower the tongue, to expose the forward bunks. I have a farm jack which will easily lift the stern and we can then put blocking under the stern--go from there.

I have used hydraulic jackks, car trolley jacks and house moving screw jacks to hoist boat hulls clear of the trailer. You can walk the trailer out from under a boat, and have it blocked properly. Don't try unless you know exactly what you are dong! I have seen concrete blocks crumble. I used to have some 4 x 4 and 8 x 8 blocks we would build up 4 sided structures to hold the boat--with a single block on top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: