Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, a friend came to dinner with his new girlfriend. We had silver salmon that I had caught that day. When they left after a long dinner and conversation, I noticed that she had hardly touched her salmon. He later told me that she thought it was too "fishy." They later broke up (which was my wife's immediate recommendation after seeing that she hadn't finished her salmon).

I lived in Duluth for a year and caught "salmon" out of Lake Superior. Other fisherman couldn't believe it when I would release them. I just didn't like eating something that looked like a salmon but didn't taste like salmon. Others apparently prefer that.

I accidentally came across a YouTube video of a salmon farm last year when looking at launches in British Columbia. The farm had experienced what appeared to be a complete die off. Some diver's took video of the bubbling gooey mess on the bottom before being run off. It wasn't clear that they were trespassing, but the operator convinced the government that divers could be injured during the cleanup and were therefor allowed to rely on law enforcement to get the divers out of the water. They also tried to get law enforcement to prohibit people filming from shore, but that didn't work.

Those farms always look kind of peaceful on the surface. The video was an eye opener.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further reading, both Seattle Times articles cited in this thread were written in 2013. I don't know how much things have progressed, or regressed, since then. Probably still not too late to add reader comments to the articles, though.

Andy Ryan

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During our first trip up the Inland passage, (and we had just sailed up from Long Beach CA, 1993), one of the first things we heard on the radio shortly after checking into Canada was basically a "May Day". One of the fish pens had broken open. They were trying to find the nearest purse seiners to try and capture the fish. Good luck on that; as I recollect there were about 150,000 fish which got out.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be massive schools of bait out in front of Westport that the Columbia River salmon stopped and fed on, on their way home. Three or four years ago the sardine seines were allowed to fish out of Westport. They basically devastated all the bait schools for miles around. They were only suppose to take 15% of the biomass according to the feds but you can't mark a school of bait anywhere nearby. The feds have shut them down now. I heard that they just ground up whatever they caught for fish pellets to feed farmed fish. That had a dramatic impact on the salmon fishing out of Westport. Salmon fishing has been awful in area 2 for the last couple of years. No baitfish equals no salmon or at the very least, undersized salmon that don't have enough reserves to make it up river to spawn. I don't understand the short-sightedness of our actions. You only have to look at Chesapeake Bay and the over fishing of menhaden to see the future here if we allow seines to suck up all baitfish just to feed net pen fish.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Forest said ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This is the problem of fish farming brought right to our front door.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bottom line is that friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon. They taste like crap relative to troll caught Pacific salmon and they bring with them a host of environmental problems.
Riverjohn

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
What Forest said ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This is the problem of fish farming brought right to our front door.

Add Gill-Nets in the Columbia River. The very last "River" allowing salmon gill-nets. Angry

The new Oregon Governor just backed out of the agreement to remove them all this year. All while Washington is holding their end of the deal.

Mad, mad mad!!!

forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Add Gill-Nets in the Columbia River. The very last "River" allowing salmon gill-nets.

Nope. The Willapa has non-tribal commercial gill netting. The Chehalis has Quinault tribal commercial gill netting. Not sure but I think the Chehalis also has non-tribal commercial gill netting too.
DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Fish Food Reply with quote

Our Herring, Krill, Sardines and bait fish in general are used to make food pellets for fish farms and fertilizers, except maybe the Herring roe? If most, or not all of this this comes from coastal fishing, how could it not effect the wild salmon populations. I remember jigging herring just about any where before going mooching, today you would burn up all your fuel just looking for a herring school.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert on fish farming by any means. As some of you know I work in a field where we try to mitigate the negative environmental effects of farming, and help farmers stay in business in the face of increasing regs. When I started my career in Western Washington, I got to spend some time on a freshwater salmon farm in the South Puget Sound. I wont name names because they are still in business. It was really interesting to learn about the industry, and what struck me most was the scale of the operation. Its a factory.

The thing that struck me most was the tailwater coming off the last settlement basin. Its crystal clear water is released back into a creek. We took samples of that water and had it tested as we would liquid manure. This water was very hot with nitrogen, not just traces but numbers that were incredible. The settlement basins worked wonderfully for removing organic matter but nitrogen is water soluble. We only tested for nutrients, but wouldn't be surprised if it was rich in antibiotics as well. It was shocking that dairy operations and poultry operations have strict regulations for discharging their manure, setbacks from field ditches when applying to fields, etc, and here a salmon farm is pouring nutrients directly into surface water without any regulation.

Riverjohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
Quote:
Add Gill-Nets in the Columbia River. The very last "River" allowing salmon gill-nets.

Nope. The Willapa has non-tribal commercial gill netting. The Chehalis has Quinault tribal commercial gill netting. Not sure but I think the Chehalis also has non-tribal commercial gill netting too.

The Commercial gill-nets if I remember right are at the mouth of the river only aren't they ?
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverjohn, is your question regarding areas of allowed gill net fishing for salmon directed at the Columbia, or those other rivers?

On the main stem Columbia, there are 6 zones from Bonneville Dam to the mouth which are used, not all of them open simultaneously, usually. These are fished by nonnatives, historically. Above Bonneville, only gillnetting by natives is allowed, various zones, with closures varying from season to season.

The use of other techniques, in particular tangle nets, is in flux, owing to the breakdown of the compact between OR, WA, and ID. Some testing of seine nets by ODFW has been made, but seines are not sanctioned anywhere on the Columbia, AFAIK.

Openings and closures for gill netting are typically announced in various media outlets, and on the ODFW web site.

Riverjohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Riverjohn, is your question regarding areas of allowed gill net fishing for salmon directed at the Columbia, or those other rivers?

On the main stem Columbia, there are 6 zones from Bonneville Dam to the mouth which are used, not all of them open simultaneously, usually. These are fished by nonnatives, historically. Above Bonneville, only gillnetting by natives is allowed, various zones, with closures varying from season to season.

The use of other techniques, in particular tangle nets, is in flux, owing to the breakdown of the compact between OR, WA, and ID. Some testing of seine nets by ODFW has been made, but seines are not sanctioned anywhere on the Columbia, AFAIK.

Openings and closures for gill netting are typically announced in various media outlets, and on the ODFW web site.

I was asking about the WA rivers. I am anti gill-net when it come to inland rivers. Seen too much in my time fishing the Columbia. The biggest issue being dead Native steelhead. I hope our Governor (Kate Brown) pays a very big political price for backing out of the gill-net reform agreement. She has a financial interest in helping Pacific Seafood... Bad scenario, you will hear more soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: