The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/07 - 09/10 - Mississippi River Gathering 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are shaping up to for a great gathering.

I recently took delivery on a new ice cream freezer that has a beefier gearbox and 50% more capacity than the old one.

Looks like we may need the extra ice cream.

Tex and Sharon on Bixby's Cub
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex, Put Discovery down as a strong maybe. We are currently at Trenton Port Marina, Trenton, Ontario.

We have just completed the Trent/Severn Canal from Port Severn to Trenton. We were going to do the Rideau Canal on to Ottowa, but are thinking a return cruise to Port Severn and coming south in time to make the Mississippi River Gathering would be more to our liking. We have to get back to our truck and trailer anyway.

We would like to see old friends, and meet new C-Brat's.

We have very limited access to internet on the canal, but were here in Trenton until Tuesday, with wifi.

I'll sign up on the event list, and we'll do our best to get there.

Brent and Dixie

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery is really looking forward to being there. What is the deal on the bbq's- pot luck or catered? Just want to be prepared. Thanks.
texasair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent and Dixie,
Sharon and I look forward to seeing you guys.

We have the meat part taken care of.
If you want to bring an appetizer, veggie or dessert, feel free to do so.

One of the 2 evenings we will have home made pies and hand cranked ice cream.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: After Event Reply with quote

At least 3 other boats have expressed interest of going up the Tennessee River after the gathering. We can discuss the details at the gathering. Our general plan is to take 2 days to drive to Pickwick Lake. (580 miles is a bit further than some want to drive in a day--so figure 400 miles one day and 180 the next, getting us launched in time for an anchorage that night in a sheltered cove on the lake.

We have a good friend who lives on Pickwick, and we go there often. He suggests that the best place to launch and leave our rigs is at Pickwick State Park. We have stayed in the campground there a number of times, and it seems very secure. The rangers drive by the parking a number of times a day.

We plan to go up river toward Knoxville--not sure how long it will take, depending on how the group wants to travel. I have been looking at Marinas and towns along the way, as well as anchorages--there are a number of choices with marinas and anchorages or all of one, or the other. Also some great towns to visit along the way. If the discussion on this board becomes lengthy--I suggest we start our own thread. The only issue on the upper part is the Volunteer Navy off Neyland Stadium near Knoxville--on home game weekends/ days there are upward of 200 pleasure boats at Volunteer Landing. So we would have to co-ordinate with that. We have relatives in Knoxville. If we get that far, they may help us get back to our rigs, we can rent a vehicle for a day to get the rigs, or run back down river--several choices--depending on the weather, and people's feelings and schedules. Our boat and trailer are ready, Marie has cooked up a bunch of food, and we will start loading in the next few days..

Look forward to seeing you all!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
My wife called the Marina at Clinton today to reserve a slip. The lady that answered the phone took our reservation and said that she only had about 10 reservations. There should be more. She stated that a young lady that had been employed there "did not work out". Mite be the one that told other brats to wait till the time gets closer.

In any case it would not hurt to call to make sure your reserved. See everyone at Clinton!

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Tom. Guess I'd better call again! I think that was probably the gal I spoke too....

Still all set to launch at Dubuque that Tuesday, then take two days to come down, coming in Wednesday afternoon. Only about an hour and a half drive from home here, and gives us a little more time on the water. Should have the new Bimini and Enclosure as well. Now hoping for rain so Rosanne will let me use it! LOL! Mr. Green
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a reservation several days ago--and the gal said that she loved C Brats and C Dorys, but would be on a motorcycle rally while we were there. She stated that slips would not be assigned until we arrived--but there was a section reserved for us.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of got the same reply just a few minutes ago. She asked several times if I was part of a big group coming in, and that they had us all together... Colby
Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex & Sharon,
We're listening to the terrible storm damage in Houston/Cypress. Are you two doing OK and are you staying safe? You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Paul & Joni on Joni Lynn
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife is asking about what we need to provide in the way of meals. We plan on arriving Wednesday afternoon from upstream.
texasair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are OK from the flooding. My workshop, barns and our property flooded.
The water did not get in our house.  Our home was an Island for a few days.
It rained pretty much continually for 4 days. I registered 28" in my rain gauge before it fell over due to soggy soil.  My guess is over 30" here at my home.
Other areas on the south of Houston received well over 40", in few areas official gauges were over 50"
It was reported that this was the longest time that a hurricane remained above tropical storm status after landfall, and it remained at that status while staying in the same area for days
It was estimated that over 10% of all homes in Harris County (Houston area) flooded, and that over 95% of all rescues were done by private citizen good old boys in aluminum boats with small outboards and jacked up redneck 4 wheel drive trucks. Pickup trucks were lined up at the local Bass Pro buying out their entire inventory of jon boats and heading immediately to the flooded areas.
The same good ole boys roaming the entire area in their boats doing rescues were mostly armed so looting was at a minimum.
Historic crests are predicted on the Brazos and Colorado rivers and will flood many small towns and thousands of additional homes to our south in the next day or so.  Large towns of Beaumont and surrounding areas received similar rainfall as Harvey moved east and tens of thousands are now flooding there as our flooding slowly recedes.
Although not back to normal,  I will have things stabilized soon and Sharon and I hope to see everyone in Clinton.

If this link works, those are prop strikes from rescue boats on the roof of that minivan: http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2375762

Tex and Sharon
texasair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little more insight, here is a post plucked from a local hunting and fishing forum:

When my brother called me Sunday morning at 5am saying he needed me and my boat to go help a friend I would have never guessed we'd spend 3 days straight in the boat and truck and a little time back at his shop for repairs! We left Alvin heading down 517 to go to seabrook not even knowing how bad the conditions really were.When we got to 646 we couldn't go any further and seen guys launching in the road.We asked the first guy we saw what was up and he said Dickinson was underwater and people needed help.we turned around and launched and headed down 517 and literally shot thru the rapids going under I-45.once across we turned and headed towards the bayou and immediately started picking people up out houses,off cars and wading in chest deep water!We started taking them to the overpass driving over the go cart track that I had my daughters birthday party at a few months ago.We got a phone number to call from a guy in another boat and they took our number and started calling and texting us addresses of people calling for help.By the end of the day we were about out of gas and I think we estimated we got around 50 people and a few dogs and cats!We went from 646 to hwy 3 on 517 and all down Deets and thru many neighborhoods,it was crazy,sad and amazing all at the same time!When we got back to the shop and refueled we were told the brazos river and Katy cypress area was gonna be next,make a long story short we were there the next morning and sugar land and it was just as hectic! I was amazed at the amount of water everywhere we went! We ended up breaking my steering linkage and had to quit and go home and weld it up for a temporary fix.The next morning we launched at 146 and Massey Thompkins and helped out there then got a call from a friend to head to league city to help.I was very impressed with the Texas outdoorsmen and very proud of my state! My old boat was bouncing off the roofs of cars and tearing my prop to hell on concrete curbs but I saw shallow sports,haynies and gulfcoast right along side air boats and mud boats! Not once did I hear anyone ask what color the person needing help was or who they voted for,we were all Texans and all Gods children!We got elderly out of attics and young people out of chest deep water!Im proud of everyone that helped.Big thanks to OKMAJEK too for joining us on the second and third day!
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thans for the report. We were praying that you were OK--and didn't suffer too much damage. Some of my sources described attempted hijack of rescue boats by looters...big mistake with the Cajan and Texas "Navy" boys there!

Been calling our friends and relatives who live in that area and offering our home as a place for them to stay until things are back on their feet....

On another "note" CA Derivas, "Serendipity" just called to say that they will have to cancel because of health issues. We are watching Hurricane Irma--and will be on the road Monday, if it is not going into the Gulf of Mexico.
texasair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that particular incident, some potential looters thought it would be nice to have a boat to haul the booty and fired a shot in the direction of the rescue boat thinking the guys in the boat would leave the boat and retreat.
The return fire sent the looters scrambling for cover.
After that story hit the social media around here there were very few additional cases of looting.
We have also had a few cased of attempted home invasion by thugs pretending to be utility workers. Most were met at the door by armed homeowners

With absolutely no input or authorization from governmental agencies, by the end of the first day several tech savvy citizens had set up through social media an online map and dispatching service service connecting by cell phone to the thousands of private rescue boats. roaming the residential neighborhoods.
Word got around quickly and most rescues were handled this way rather that through local agencies or FEMA

One phone call or a post on social media of anyone needing rescue would cause their location to be displayed and address texted to private rescue boaters in the area and there would be a boat or boats on the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: