The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question: painting a different color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Question: painting a different color Reply with quote

I really like the Cdory "blue" but have a 16' with the black trim color (in the gel-coat). I'm not talking about painting the whole boat, just the gunwale trim, lid, and bottom.

Would painting it blue be a good idea? How expensive is it and how well will it hold up (the boat is trailered)?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've discussed various parts of this before, but here goes.

Painting would require very through preparation for proper adhesion and cosmetic appearance, and could be done best with a sprayed on two part polyurethane paint, and both steps would best be done by a professional and cost quite a bit, probably from$1000-$3000, WASG (wild-a__-scientific guess). You could prepare it and roll and tip in on yourself, but the quality of the average DIY finished job would or could somewhat negatively affect the resale value of the boat. (Spraying two-part polyurethanes is very dangerous due to the vapors, and not recommended for non-professionals and requires a special breathing apparatus.)

Would be much easier to have vinyl overlays made and applied, either by a shop or with their help. They could make the overlays, and you could apply them. I'd do that to the gunnel stripe and lid/hood/cabin stripe, then simply paint the bottom with an appropriate colored bottom paint, or just leave it black. Would be much simpler, cheaper, look more professional, and could be removed (at least the upper two of the three parts.)

Get some cost estimates and post them here and think it over. Would be interesting to see them here for all of us to know.

God Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Joe, but may have a little different thought. Do you have two different boats? I see an 1988 Angler (about 29 years old), and a 1997 cruiser. Do you own both boat?

I would not change the stripe, just because I didn't like the color, if it is in good condition. It is a lot of work, and expensive for a semi cosmetic gain. I think Joe's estimate of a sprayed LP is a bit on the high side. But all of the prep work is what is expensive. Often you can do the prep, and then have someone really good do the primer, color coat and clear coats. I have sprayed 2 part--certainly not the easiest paint to work with, and would agree with Joe, unless you have the experience with spray paints, to have someone who is really good (see their actual work--not just photos).

You can use single urethanes, such as "Brightstar" or a "silicone" based paint such as "TopLac". With the narrow stripes, I might use a wet brush, and tip; rather than roller and tip. (The wet brush or roller is dipped into the paint--the tip brush is wet with paint, but never dipped). I have seen some jobs which were brushed which could not be differentiated from a good spray job. Top Lac type of products last 3 to 5 years (out doors--much longer covered). 2 part LP and the silicone are closer to 5 to 10 years.

Putting on the wrap, over a part like the narrow stripe on the roof--or even on the below the gunnel stripe may actually be harder than covering the entire side of a hull. The reason is maneuvering the vinyl to get a perfect fit (On the top, work on the inside edge, do it very gradually on the curves, then work in the outer part, bring it under the lip and trim off any excess. If it were a straight line, it would be much easier.

I have always lived with the color the boat came with--even if I didn't really like it. Of course if you already have canvas or upholstery which matches the color stripe that is something to consider.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: