Ranger Tug 23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Ranger Tug 23 Reply with quote

The Toronto boat show is now billed as the largest indoor boat show in North America. You really need more than 1 day to see half of it but the first mate "allowed" me 4 hours so off we went! The new R23 was at the top of my list. The Tug dealer(Lefroy Harbor) had 4 on display - a 21, 23, 29, and 31. Checked them all out except the 31(lineup was too long). The R23 is a beautiful boat and in the Ranger tradition appears much larger than a 23' boat.

I planned on taking a bunch of pics to post here so before we left in the morning I charged up the camera battery - took some pics of the hull and went aboard to get some of the interior. That's when my camera decided to tell me that the "disc is full" Angry . Well decided to go for some lunch and the wife watched a cooking show(clam chowder) while I went through the multitude of pics on my disc erasing those not needed to make room. Went back and got the rest of interior pics.

Asked about its transition speed. Dealer said it will stay on step around 15mph unless it is loaded too heavy. It has fairly large tabs and hull dimpling to introduce air into the water flow for reducing friction.

Pics now in my album, enjoy!

Rob

P.S. Anybody have $149,000. to lend me? Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
Nice pics of the RT 23! I've been researching this boat since it came out. It's a game changer for sure and a real beauty. I love how it has outboard power but still maintains some "Tug" looks.

I think the price is a tad high for a 23 footer though....although it has a full head, outboard bracket and obviously the SUPERIOR fit and finish over the CD 23 Venture.

If I'm gonna be in the $150k range for a new boat I'm not buying a 23 footer though...... Although as per the Ranger Tugs website the base price is $100k. Maybe the boat show boat model had all the available non standard features??? Maybe one could buy a well equipped new RT 23 for like $115-120k range?? hmmmm, I wonder.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Take it EC

City/Region: Bellevue
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Take It EC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the price is high because it is in CAD not US currency. After seeing the 23 at the Seattle boat show it is definitely amazing at how much they packed into a 23 footer. Comparable to the Cutwater 24.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot it was the Toronto Boat Show. Okay, that totally makes sense then. $112k US seems like a good price for that boat then!

$149,000 Canadian Dollar equals
$112,203.02 US Dollars
as of 20. Jan. 2017
Take it EC

City/Region: Bellevue
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Take It EC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the price will be there for long. I remember when the starting price of an r-25 was $119,000 around four years ago. Now it's $149,000
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ranger Tugs factory website for the 23 is here:
http://www.rangertugs.com/models.aspx?itemid=2634&prodid=12816&pagetitle=Ranger+Tugs+R-23

The price is just under $100,000 USD, but to get a trailer is +$10,740 and a few other options could bring the price up to about $125,000USD plus tax.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen one of the 23's in person. But certainly the fit and finish appear to be up to Ranger Tug's standards in the photo.

200 HP--there is a reason for that. It will be interesting to see some test figures. Even looking on the Tug Nut sites, we see people who say they are going to put up MPG and speed data but don't....Considering that some reports are that with 6 aboard the boat struggles to get on a plane--I would be pessimistic about a low planing speed.

I also agree, that with desirable accessories and trailer, the boat price would be well over $125,000--add in tax, registration etc...

And, you cannot take the hose and wash out all of the Lake Powell "micro dust". One of the reasons I own a C Dory is for its utilitarian interior.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly Bob. I saw one on a trailer this weekend and it is massive for a "23 footer". That 3 or 4 foot outboard bracket makes this more like a 26 or 27 footer length wise. The height on trailer is significant as well.

No need to compare these to a 23 Venture or any C-dory for that matter, they are in an entirely different categories size, weight, and hull design wise. The R23 happens to be available with an outboard, and it is a cruiser, but that's where the similarities end for me!

-Mike

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ranger 23 is pretty much a Cutwater 24 with some Ranger interior appointments. On the Ranger 23 they have made the cabin a bit more vertical (in the Ranger style) vs. swept like the Cutwater line. It is a decent boat.

One thing some people don't care for is that the head/shower is pretty much in the berth.

The big advantage to the R-23 IMO is outboard power (at least for warmer climes). The inboard diesel does have some advantages is some circumstances.

I think that the R25 would be a better choice if you are going to upgrade to that type of boat.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Ranger Tug 23 Reply with quote

From what I have read the R.T. 23 has a top speed near 40 mph and cruises nicely in the mid twenties. Some also reported 3 mpg at cruising speeds. I'm not trying to sell anyone on a 23. But comparing a 23' C-Dory to an R.T. 23 is nonsense in my opinion. The storage on R.T. 23 looks far superior, it has a shower and a bathroom ,self bailing cockpit. The list of standard feature set is pretty impressive. The R.T. is something C-Dory could have done. But their marketing and forward thinking IMHO were non existent. Oh it is true you would not want to hose out the interior. I guess that would kill the deal for some. The only boat I ever hosed out the interior on was a center console. I'm selling our R-27 because I want to buy a home on Lake Ontario and fish more. The R-27 for me in that situation is no longer the right boat for me. I might end up back in a C-Dory.
My R.T. experience was good from start to finish. The nicest people with outstanding warranty and all around factory support. They are always on Tug Nuts and ready to make things right if there is a problem. They have a great parts department and an online parts availability for each of their boats. I like C-Dory's but I don't think the C-Dory factory could make a pimple on Ranger Tugs rump!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, well said, and you have used your Ranger Tug extensively. It was a pleasure traveling with you. By all means, all the best in your endeavors.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it EC wrote:
I believe the price is high because it is in CAD not US currency.

This is correct - it also included 9 grand shipping from Seattle to Ontario. If you look close at my one pic you can see all the options and prices.

Bob, the salesman did say they don't have a lot of real world performance specs documented as of yet. He did offer me a sea trial if I wanted to go up to their marina on Lake Simcoe. Unfortunately I havn't quite got the hang of conning salesmen into thinking I'm a good prospect just to get a free ride Embarrased .

SSobol, I am a bit confused now - some say it has a shower and even on the Ranger website they say it has a shower in the head. When I looked in the boat I did not see any sign of a shower. No drain and the only sign of any water was the vanity opposite head. The walls around the toilet are basically that - no extra space. The door that hides the toilet when not being used opens to close off the companionway into the cuddy(or forward cabin). As far as privacy goes it is the same as sitting on the porta potty in a Cdory. You only have the privacy of the entire forward cabin - not really what I would call a separate head.

Idea Idea I think I may have just figured it out! I seem to remember a section of the sole being recessed and stepping over a bulkhead(coaming) going from the main cabin into the forward cabin. I remember there was a drain in that section. I'm thinking that the curtain in the black vertical tube(pic in my album) may be a shower curtain that would somehow wrap around you. I thought it was to close off the cuddy from the main cabin. Maybe the vanity tap is one of those that pull out like a kitchen sprayer. I believe it did have a water heater somewhere as the gauge below the sink was for water temp.

Rob
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Maybe this will jog your memory. Here's a video of the 23 and you can see the enclosed head if you scroll to minute 2:00. It's a tiny head with a shower handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sak37Vs-CcQ
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you take a shower, you open the door to the head which closes off the berth compartment from the salon. You stand in the space next to the head in the center of the berth area by the door and pull a shower curtain around you to keep water off the berth. There is a drain in the berth floor for the "shower pan".

Does it work? Yeah, probably.
Is it something you are going to use regularly? Probably not (IMO).

If you have a problem with the water removal system you might get scummy water in the berth area.

Something rigged up in the cockpit will probably work better. But from a marketing standpoint, they can say the boat has a head and a shower.

The other issue is what if somebody needs to use the toilet while someone is sleeping? On the Ranger 25 and a CD-25 the head is elsewhere. On the CD-22 you can move the porta-potti into the main cabin or out in the cockpit if necessary.

Like all boats, design tradeoffs are made. Each potential buyer needs to decide what works for them.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video and Rob's photos do give an entirely different prospective on the boat..It appears as if there is not standing headroom in the forward cabin (shower)--so that your head would be in the open area between the forward cabin and the pilothouse. Sure a lot of little hinges, pins etc to make all of those seats flip and flop. Parts to break and to keep clean. I'll stick with washing down with a hose--I have washed down most of my boats with a hose, even up to the 62 footer, to really get things clean. But with vinyl foamed backed headliners and sides, that could be a disaster. Each of us to his own.

Dave I am surprised you are selling the Ranger Tug so soon.

The price on the photo was $165,597.59, Canadian Boat show special of $149,900. Yes there was almost $9,000 freight--going to be an issue in many places. Did not include radar, heat, or air conditioning...The factory has a number of 23's in stock, and without trailers and other options I would want then seem to run from $110,000 to over $127,000. n

What was surprising form the photos was the amount of deadrise. I am guessing over 20 degrees. Going to ride well in a chop--but takes a lot of HP. The rule of thumb is that an a gas engine gives 14 hp per gallon per hour. For 3 miles per gallon--Lets say cruising speed of 24 miles an hour--that be 8 gallons a hour, and using 112 hp. If all of my calculations are correct.

One owner reported
Quote:
With 6 large people and full fuel and water, I did need to work to get her over the step. Once over and cruising it preformed well. In choppy conditions it rides well and of course being enclosed and dry is a plus. Most of my cruising is with my mate and together we weigh in around 260lbs
together..
There have been other similar comments.. but that is a load.
As noted several are reporting approx 3 miles per gallon.

But it still puzzles me that no one has done performance numbers in a boat which has been on the market for a year now. One fellow said he would "get back"--but never did.

I can see why it would appeal to some--and is a good stop for the Ranger market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: