New Wallas Nordic Dt Stove/Heater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: New Wallas Nordic Dt Stove/Heater Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was wondering if there are significant improvements over the previous Wallas combo stove/heater units from Scan that some folks have had issues with over the years?

I was looking to install a heater only since we often cook on a Coleman propane stove in the cockpit that uses the one pound propane containers, but thought this might be a viable unit for us as well and worthy of consideration.

Any input is helpful. Thanks! Phil
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: New Wallas Nordic Dt Stove/Heater Reply with quote

Link to Wallas web page for the Nordic Dt Stove/Heater:

http://www.wallas.fi/index.php?id=823
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be the latest stove/heater version. If you've spent any time here reading about the Wallas, you know there are those who love 'em and those who don't. We loved ours (a model 85 IIRC). If I were needing a cooking/heating situation again, I would buy another. We used ours regularly, and I think that may be a factor in the reliability. One stove related issue in the years we had it - a call to Scan Marine diagnosed the problem and they had a part to me in two days; I replaced it (with their instructions). Easy.

We ran Kleen Heat in ours; good shelf life, very little odor. Always started and turned off the unit on "High". Besides the fan/blower lid, we used an Eco-Fan with good results (and quieter).

For full disclosure, we did use a butane one-burner for small cooking jobs, or if it was hot out. For a while we carried a propane Magma grill on a previous sailboat - it had one setting: incinerate. Not a fan of propane on a boat unless you have a good exterior propane locker.

Good luck with the decision.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wallas Nordic Dt Stove/Heater Reply with quote

Phil Barnes wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with these? I was wondering if there are significant improvements over the previous Wallas combo stove/heater units from Scan that some folks have had issues with over the years?

I was looking to install a heater only since we often cook on a Coleman propane stove in the cockpit that uses the one pound propane containers, but thought this might be a viable unit for us as well and worthy of consideration.

Any input is helpful. Thanks! Phil

I purchased one of these 2 yrs. ago I have had ZERO problems. I run Diesel, Kleen Heat, or Kerosene. I was able to put 390hrs on the boat last season the stove was on 99.9 % of the time usually on High. I always start on H & shut it down after running on H for a couple minutes. Far better / less temperamental than the previous 2 versions. Have a good one!!
Wink Mr. Green
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one of these about 5 months ago to replace an older model. The new one starts and shuts down without you moving the heat setting... it does this on its own, regardless of where you set the temperature. A lot less noise and less starting amp requirements. the new motors are all brushless.
Now that I have been running this for the last few months (every time that I am in the boat this time of year for heat), I have been happy with the unit.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: