colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, not sure what you started, but I picked up a screw in one of my trailer tires today, on the Loneliest highway in America! (US-50 between Reno and Ely, Nevada!) Fortunately, I caught it during a fuel top off stop in Austin, NV. Noticed my tire looking flat compared to the others, so pulled the gauge out and read 22 psi. Also fortunately, I do carry a bottle jack, and a "tire plugging" kit. Rather than bother with changing it out with the spare, I just plugged it, and everything is good again, or at least was for the last several hundred miles. Boatercamping in the Cedar City, Utah Walmart tonight. Zion and Bryce National Parks the next few days sightseeing, then onward to home. Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe I've been on that highway, at least the one from Tonopah to Ely--many times during my college years visiting my uncle near Twin Falls, ID. I don't recall spreading screws on that particular highway...Smile.

You were LUCKY, very, to catch it during a stop. I had checked all my tires, rims and hubs just 10 minutes before my blow-out (or melt-down). Just goes to show that regular checking at stops isn't the end-all, active monitoring is the best. I'm reviewing the top 4 or 5 systems, some cheap, some expensive and "trying" to get the specs on each. Some sequentially display each tire (30 sec intervals), but alarm immediately if a problem. Some update every 5 minutes, which seems excessive. Some show all wheels' pressures and temperatures. Etc. Been reading on the RV forums for best, actual reviews. All say either water-proof or water-resistant, but I believe regular dunking in saltwater can't be good, so I'll be removing the sensors for each launch.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I agree with you about active monitoring. When you decide on a system, let me know which one you go with. I've looked just a bit in the past, but not seriously. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Floyd. I just uploaded a few photos I had of Slack Time into his google drive folder. Don't really see to many other photos, except for some in Pounder's folder. I'm assuming it's going to take you quite some time to get everything organized, but wondering if you'll let us know as photo files are uploaded? I also have quite a few photos general in nature. Ie, Not any particularly of one specific boat, but rather just shots of our cruise. Would it be worthwhile to have another folder added for those kinds of photos? Colby
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby

Thanks for sharing! My original intent was to have everyone put their own images that they would like to share in their own folder, but any way that you want to do it is fine.

I would just check back every once in awhile and check out the activity log to see if anyone has uploaded. So far, just you and Pounder have contributed images.

Right now i am working on processing and when I am ready to finalize my video I will post and see if there is any last minute additions.

Here is the link again for anyone that needs it. It will allow you to view and also upload to the drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4lgk01reAeTT1JnSWxidGtQZ0U?usp=sharing

Great shots btw!
Also I created a Video Clip folder, the first one is your boat leaving South Harbor, check it out. I will try to get a clip for everyone

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Floyd. I'll try to upload many more of my photos to my folder. I did upload quite a few to my Midnight Flyer album. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing those, some nice pix there, and hope that we see some more. Looks like fun.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: TRLR TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING Reply with quote

Colby,
I researched constant tire monitoring temp/pressure systems 5 years ago and settled on
https://tsttruck.com
Just use 510 not 507 sensors (saltwater proof, no need to remove for launches). I now wouldn't do without the 'early warning' and have learned how the temp of both axle tires in the sun on I-10 will be up to 11 degrees hotter than the shaded side. The pilot in you will love the precision.
Sometimes precision is of no help, like when on the prior trailer one tire had a catastrophic structural failure with absolutely no increase in temp or decrease in pressure until KA-BOOM!!! BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!
1 of 4 non-replaceable batteries died on spec at 5 years, but they will send you a brand new replacement unit for $19.95 even before you return the failed unit.
(If you remove a sensor during the off season, it turns itself off and battery life is extended. I never did this because I never read all the instructions, you know me).
EXTREMELY helpful and knowlegable customer service...give them a call with all questions. I'm so happy I wouldn't change now, but you can google alternatives.
Happy shopping!
John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I'll have to look into those. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just uploaded all my "cruise" photos to the google drive under my folder (Midnight Flyer). Some of the photos may not be great...I haven't taken much time yet to thin them out, and just uploaded all 130 of them. Wink But they are all there! Colby
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15th Annual Delta Bay Extravaganza 2016

https://youtu.be/zfK0Rkv7F0o

Another Opus!

A 5 day adventure tour starts in the Sacramento River Delta with a pack of C-Dory owners known as the “C-Brats”. For the next 155 nmi we travel to Wheeler Island, up the Petaluma River to the town of Petaluma, over to Sausalito and then to the South Beach Harbor Marina in San Francisco before we return to our starting point in Rio Vista.

Day 1: Rio Vista to Wheeler Island - Shows our adventure team leaving Delta Marina in Rio Vista and arriving at our first destination, Wheeler Island where our hosts, John and Robbin on Dinner Belle II, have a wonderful dinner planned. There is limited space on the dock and our gaggle of C-Dorys must navigate a shallow entrance and tie up 3 abreast on the small dock. John gives us a guided tour of the wetlands and tells us of the conservancy they are able to provide here for the wildlife. A great time is had by all!

Day 2: Wheeler Island to Petaluma - Time to head out across San Pablo Bay. The forecast is shows some weather coming into the area but it looks like it will hold off.. Traveling up the river to Petaluma takes us through the largest natural salt marsh in San Pablo Bay covering 5000 acres. We have to make it to the drawbridge by 2pm for our scheduled opening. We do make it in and tie up on the public docks in the town center. We enjoy the hopitality of Joel and Susan’s friend Christine at her wonderful Victorian House she is restoring called Castle Balch. High winds and rain are scheduled this evening.

Day 3: Stay in Petaluma - The front has come and a system is moving through with showers. We call the Harbor Master in Sausalito to find out that “F” Dock where we had reservations was damaged during the high winds. We decide to stay another day in Petaluma and the rain continues to fall.

Day 4: Petaluma to San Francisco - After raining all night there is a break in the drizzle, the seas are flat and we head first to Sausalito to fuel up. Over the years we have been watching the Tall Ship “Matthew Turner” being built in Sausalito. We miss the launching by a few days but we get to see her tied up at the dock. The trip across the Golden Gate channel is exciting, passing through a sailboat race. A couple of our group lend assistance to an overturned vessel. We arrive at the marina much to the annoyance of couple of Sea Lions. The evening is spent as guests at the South Beach Harbor Yacht Club, the Admiral there takes us under his wing.

Day 5: Up with the sun for our return trip to Rio Vista. The City is a golden city washed clean by the rains in the morning light, just beautiful. These 5 days of adventure will stay in our memories forever. Many thanks to all that made this trip possible and all the people who have come together to share the experience.
Thank you Midnight Flyer and Gabriella for your photo contributions, really outstanding photography!
johnrmarshall22

City/Region: North SF Bay
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Slack Time
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Floyd! The video was awesome. The photography, the videography, graphics, animation and the music! I am blown away, clearly you have a bit of time Laughing and passion. Thank you for putting this together. I would think that anybody with even a passing interest in boating would enjoy your video. The duck club shots of the Elk was way cool, our boat was too slow to see that sight... we only saw bouncing white behinds (that didn't quite sound right), you know what I mean.
My memory of the ship captains comment was priceless "... small white boats, just what are your intentions, Over." That was a a classic Shocked The local yokels stay way clear of that highway!
Thanks to all who contributed to this record of a what is likely or is the longest running C-Brats event The world famous Bay and Delta Extravaganza is now fully documented for the ages.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video Floyd. Thanks for putting it together and uploading it. Colby
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Floyd...!!! Thank You for the memories
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed. On the title of the post that gives a running commentary, one minor typo. 2017 rather than 2016. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: