The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New C-Dory 18 Cruiser ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron C

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Saw
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory 18 Cruiser ??? Reply with quote

After reading recent posts about the cd 18 built in the 80's and about one brave soul who spliced 2 feet into his 16, I have become quite interested in a stretched 16.
There was also some discussion about the need to invigorate the brand and give people reason to buy a new C-Dory.
I like the light weight of the 16 but if 2 feet could be added without much increase in weight, the extra buoyancy in the stern would help it run flatter and make it possible for the occasional extra passengers to sit in the cockpit instead of "on the forward edge of the v-berth".
If such a boat were offered in the next year I would definitely be a buyer. I would like to know if enough other people are interested to get the attention of the current manufacturer.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
IMHO there's no need for that. That's why the 19 is so awesome. It is closer to a 22 but tows similar to a 16. I towed my 19 with a sedan and EASILY.

The 19 has a bigger beam than the 16 (or 1Cool. If you're already thinking that that you'd like an 18 over the 16, then just buy a 19. It's a great package. There are 2 19's available right now on our site.

I'm speaking from experience. I owned a 16......then a 19......now a 25. I wouldn't try and sway your opinion if I didn't have the real world ownership of 2 different 3 C Dory boats.

If you really LOVE the 16 and don't wanna move up to the 19/22 sector then just stay with the 16. I highly doubt that C Dory will bring an 18 into production. I'd personally love to see a 28-30 foot C Dory. I'd buy it YESTERDAY! Sight unseen.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)

Last edited by South of Heaven on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
IMHO there's no need for that. That's why the 19 is so awesome. It is closer to a 22 but tows similar to a 16. I towed my 19 with a sedan and EASILY.

The 19 has a bigger beam than the 16 (or 1Cool. If you're already thinking that that you'd like an 18 over the 16, then just buy a 19. It's a great package. There are 2 19's available right now on our site.

I'm speaking from experience. I owned a 16......then a 19......now a 25. I wouldn't try and sway your opinion if I didn't have the real world ownership of 2 different 3 C Dory boats.

If you really LOVE the 16 and don't wanna move up to the 19/22 sector then just stay with the 16. I highly doubt that C Dory will bring an 18 into production. I'd personally love to see a 28-30 foot C Dory. I'd buy it YESTERDAY! Sight unseen.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 29, and it was not a hit. It is very expensive to bring a new boat to market. I believe that Les Lampson told me it was going to be in the $300,000 range to get the plug for the mold, and then build the mold. You have to sell a lot of boats just to recoup that investment.

There are also few boats being built on "speculation" by the current builder. Makes more fiscal sense.

If you want to stretch, compress, pinch, etc an existing model, it is cheaper than to develop a new boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are almost no boat companies that want to build small boats anymore . They have a better profit margin on larger stuff as the labor to make a small boat is close to the labor that's required to make a larger vessel . C Dory [NMI] isn't interested in making 16s anymore and if they did the pricing is prohibitive for a buyer .
Bob is correct ,molds are very expensive to make and require maintenance to stay viable .
Anybody [builders] investing in a new model is going to go high end and that's not what this group or customer is about ......
Marc

SB Steve

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
There are almost no boat companies that want to build small boats anymore . They have a better profit margin on larger stuff as the labor to make a small boat is close to the labor that's required to make a larger vessel . C Dory [NMI] isn't interested in making 16s anymore and if they did the pricing is prohibitive for a buyer .
Bob is correct ,molds are very expensive to make and require maintenance to stay viable .
Anybody [builders] investing in a new model is going to go high end and that's not what this group or customer is about ......
Marc

They aren't making any new 16s?
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I asked , they wanted an order of 3 . Which I totally understand.
I would have to have a definitive order to consider trying to get one. Would have to be on the same page as the buyer . 2 on the lot at 30k + is probably not a great idea for a dealer .
Marc
SB Steve

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
I would have to have a definitive order to consider trying to get one. Would have to be on the same page as the buyer . 2 on the lot at 30k + is probably not a great idea for a dealer .
Marc
Cheers! Thanks for the info. Thumbs Up That is understandable. It would be only worthwhile if at least a couple people wanted to order. So far away, but Florida seems to be a hot spot for C-dorys!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB Steve wrote:
Wefings wrote:
Marc
Cheers! Thanks for the info. Thumbs Up That is understandable. It would be only worthwhile if at least a couple people wanted to order. So far away, but Florida seems to be a hot spot for C-dorys!

I think that may have to do with the ability to air condition the enclosed cabin on a C-Dory. Can't do the with a lot of other boats.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: