The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yamaha gear box oil ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rooster 27509

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch-22
Photos: Catch-22
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Yamaha gear box oil ??? Reply with quote

Someone must know and it sure isn't me.
Can something other than the ($) Yamaha gear oil be used for the twin 40s on the Catch 22? I don't won't to do any damage but would like to pay lese than $25.00 per gal too. While I'm looking what about the engine oil filters anything less expensave that anyone has been using?

Jim from the Catch 22
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim- The only ratings for the current lubricants sold for most lower unit applications are API MT-1 and GL-5, with the exception of some special synthetic (silicone based) ones for extreme high -performance (racing) uses and some formulated for the older OMC electric shift gear cases, according to a product availability survey I'm making for you through several catalogues.

Most manufactures market their own brands of lubricants and other service products to profit from this high gain market. Unless someone tells you different with comensurate authority and the accompanyng reasoning, I would think it would be smart to go ahead and find something more reasonably priced.

Most gear lube is priced at either $4 or $5 for a 10 oz tube (convenient for filling from the bottom of the gearcase), which works out to $51.20 or $64 per gallon, respectively(!!!) For about a dollar more than the 10 oz tube, they'll sell you a quart bottle instead, hense your $25 a gallon figure.

One might be tempted to use lubricants intended for cars. I doubt, however, that regular 90 wt hypoid oil for automobile rear ends has the additives for marine use.

A less expensive alternative to you, since you live in Antioch, Ca., would be to drive to the Bargain Barn in the rear of the West Marine Store in Oakland. They have 10 oz tubes of Lubrimatic Lower Unit Gear Lube marked $1.59 each that were sold to me for $0.77 each (marked down at the cash register as "distressed" if you humor the friendly clerk), which gives you a final price of $9.86 per gallon. Hope this helps. Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim- Another thought I left out : Check your gearcase capacities. They use very little fluid. My 15 h.p Johnson kicker uses 8.8 oz. and the 90 h.p. main only 28 oz. Not a lot. Certainly not measured in "gallonage". Joe
Rooster 27509

C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Catch-22
Photos: Catch-22
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Jim- Another thought I left out : Check your gearcase capacities. They use very little fluid. My 15 h.p Johnson kicker uses 8.8 oz. and the 90 h.p. main only 28 oz. Not a lot. Certainly not measured in "gallonage". Joe

Yes it takes just over 15 oz. per unit for the change out, good point.

It's about time I made a trip to the Bargin Barn you never know what you will come home with and it looks like rain is coming, what a great opportunity.

Jim
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: oil filter Reply with quote

I have been using the Fram TG- 6607 for years now, on my 2000 F-115 Yami. It was strictly a size match I did myself at Wallmart one day. I was not going to give the dealer 10$ apiece for the OEM ones!

If Da-Nag copied the info over to here, in the Library section of this site, there is a thread called non-OEM parts.... or Sumpin like that! lot's of good info there to!

Joe I see your still "at it" hehehehee Laughing good come back there. Too bad it's not in the "Library section on site though Wink
RickC1435

City/Region: Central Florida
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha gear box oil ??? Reply with quote

Rooster 27509 wrote:
Someone must know and it sure isn't me.
Can something other than the ($) Yamaha gear oil be used for the twin 40s on the Catch 22? I don't won't to do any damage but would like to pay lese than $25.00 per gal too. While I'm looking what about the engine oil filters anything less expensave that anyone has been using?

Jim from the Catch 22
[color=green][/color

Re-Gear Lube

Have a 2001 50HP Four/Stroke Yamaha. Been using Amsoil SAE 80w90
Synthetic Lower Unit Oil Gear Lube for over 2 years. (GL-4).
8 oz. tube $4.10. www.lubedealer.com/clark

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly one of those threads that gives me a chuckle now and again...and I certainly *DON'T* mean that in an offensive way Very Happy .

You spend somewhere between $9,000 and $18,000 (more or less) these days for a good set of twins or a good sized single engine...and then up comes a discussion of how to save a small fraction of a very small percentage of the value of the engines on maintenance items. You gotta be kidding! Shocked

Greg, it'd take you 5 years to go through a $100 worth of OEM filters if you changed them twice a year! I can burn up more fuel than that in a weekend. Wink

I'm not suggesting that OEM products are the only way to fly; shoot, there are lots of good reasons for using other products that may be easier to find or just flat better stuff...but c'mon...to save money? Thumbs Down

www.marinautboats.com
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: ARG :D Reply with quote

Well it's the principal of the thing I guess. Disgust I actually go through about 7 oil filters a year! I'm one to change often. I say a dollar saved is a dollar earned. Thumbs Up Gotta try offset the cost of boating somewhere and show them gouging dealers to! lol
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEVEN A YEAR?!?!?

Where do I sign up to be your supplier? Laughing Love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: