View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Any more Chicago "must see" or "must do" tips will be appreciated!

The German U Boat - (U 505) captured during WW2 is a very interesting tour. I went through it in the mid 70's. Just googled it to check if it was still there. Yes it shows the museum is still operating.

Regards, Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, When I was in school there, PEOPLE magazine was just new. One of their first issues had a series of "Best Ever (such and such) in the country" Gino's Pizza on Lakeshore, not far from the Navy Pier, was listed as the best Deep Dish Pizza in the USA so I had to try it. It was good, almost habit forming, and worth the experience. Hope you get to try it there.

http://www.ginoseast.com/locations/magnificentmile#menu

OR, they will deliver. Good thing they don't charge by the pound on the delivery.

162 E Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 266-3337

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's blog post is about Marina Shores at Dune Harbor in Portage Indiana!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions! I wish we had booked four or five days instead of three at Du Sable! Being Labor Day weekend, i suppose it would be difficult to extend for Sunday and Monday, but we will ask!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that extension Pat. But DuSable is a nice marina and great location. You can easily walk to all the neat things everyone has been mentioning. (or catch public transportation.) I think the Chicago harbors are way overpriced and the facilities are not as nice as many other more reasonably priced marinas. But, it is Chicago... I think you'll enjoy the river thru the city, but we found there really are no places that you can dock and eat. Unless you don't mind paying an hourly fee of $20 or more! All the commercial traffic in the city on the river will use ch. 16. I'm not sure what the working tugs use as you go down river outside the city. Some monitor 16, but I found those "mule" tugs positioning barges in the tighter areas didn't always reply. And I'd try 16, 13, 9 and 10. The Chicago lock will have lines hanging down for you to grab and hold. (And be sure to have your PFD ON!) As for the other locks, you will be using your own lines to hook around a bollard. Be prepared to stand on your gunnel or use a hook as the bollards are set more for the barge heights! And specially at the Chicago Lock, stay out of the way until the green light as all the commercial tour boats get to enter on the yellow and they get kind of testy if you are not way off to the side. You can give the Chicago lock a courtesy call, but I found they are just constantly running boats thru and you are just another number in a gaggle of many... But rarely more than a 15-20 minute wait. The other locks down stream on the other hand, might pay to call them a few miles out (either by phone or radio) to see if you will have much wait when you get there. I zipped thru twice at one of the locks, but seemed like a hour - 2 hour wait at the other. Make sure you have enough fuel leaving Chicago to go at least another 50 miles! And if you do stay on the wall at Joliet, fender well and have chaffing protection on your lines! Enjoy! Colby
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's blog post is about Chicago!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Good luck with that extension Pat. But DuSable is a nice marina and great location. You can easily walk to all the neat things everyone has been mentioning. (or catch public transportation.) I think the Chicago harbors are way overpriced and the facilities are not as nice as many other more reasonably priced marinas. But, it is Chicago... I think you'll enjoy the river thru the city, but we found there really are no places that you can dock and eat. Unless you don't mind paying an hourly fee of $20 or more! All the commercial traffic in the city on the river will use ch. 16. I'm not sure what the working tugs use as you go down river outside the city. Some monitor 16, but I found those "mule" tugs positioning barges in the tighter areas didn't always reply. And I'd try 16, 13, 9 and 10. The Chicago lock will have lines hanging down for you to grab and hold. (And be sure to have your PFD ON!) As for the other locks, you will be using your own lines to hook around a bollard. Be prepared to stand on your gunnel or use a hook as the bollards are set more for the barge heights! And specially at the Chicago Lock, stay out of the way until the green light as all the commercial tour boats get to enter on the yellow and they get kind of testy if you are not way off to the side. You can give the Chicago lock a courtesy call, but I found they are just constantly running boats thru and you are just another number in a gaggle of many... But rarely more than a 15-20 minute wait. The other locks down stream on the other hand, might pay to call them a few miles out (either by phone or radio) to see if you will have much wait when you get there. I zipped thru twice at one of the locks, but seemed like a hour - 2 hour wait at the other. Make sure you have enough fuel leaving Chicago to go at least another 50 miles! And if you do stay on the wall at Joliet, fender well and have chaffing protection on your lines! Enjoy! Colby

Thanks, Colby.

We decided on a one day extension for Sunday, and it was not a problem. The Harbor Master will put us in a permanent slip where the slip holder is gone for Sunday night.

We have plenty of fuel, we fueled at Portage, and used about 10 gallons crossing from Portage to Chicago, so with 90 gallons remaining, we are good for quite a way yet at 4-5 miles per gallon.

We are as well prepared for the locks as we can be, but of course we do have some apprehension! I guess a boat hook is the order of the day to put the line around a bollard!

We are prepared with chaffing protection for our lines and fender boards to protect our investment in our new rub rail for any walls!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's blog post is about Day Two in Chicago!
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Loopers Reply with quote

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 50 YEARS WOW
Have fun and take care hopefully see you guys in Florida in Oct?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's blog post is about Day Three in Chicago!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Loopers Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 50 YEARS WOW
Have fun and take care hopefully see you guys in Florida in Oct?

Thanks, Jim! I will more than likely be November before we are back in Florida.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mention of the Hancock Tower brought back memories. Went up it back in the mid 70's. Don't remember a lot about the tower except at the top - looking down on the roof of the Playboy building. They had a bunny shaped swimming pool on the roof. Didn't see any "bunnies" but being a young lad of 20 - I had to look !!

Regards, Rob
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's blog post is about Day Four in Chicago and our new friends Evan and Jeanne Chiligiris!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Your mention of the Hancock Tower brought back memories. Went up it back in the mid 70's. Don't remember a lot about the tower except at the top - looking down on the roof of the Playboy building. They had a bunny shaped swimming pool on the roof. Didn't see any "bunnies" but being a young lad of 20 - I had to look !!

Regards, Rob

One of the streets we biked by was Hugh Hefner Avenue!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:

Regards, Rob

NOT being a fan of heights, It was a really big deal for me to get up both the Hancock and the Sears towers. I don't remember which but one of them had small holes in the observation deck windows, just big enough to reach through with a camera. Don't remember how I did it, but I did get close enough to the edge to reach through there with my camera and get a picture shooting down toward the street. Back then, it was film so it took a while to get the slides back and get prints. That photo took my breath away every time I looked at it. I had forgotten all about that.

Hope you are enjoying cool temps and soft breezes. We are not back here in PNW.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 31 of 48

Jump to: