jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Loopers Reply with quote

PAT keep us informed when you are arriving in Sw Florida . We live in Naples and can meet up in Ft Myers (Start of the river ) Jim W.

Pat you could come a month earlier and make the St.Johns gathering in early March and then work your way back down

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I hope you and Patti have as much fun doing the loop as you are in planning for it. I thought I'd looked into a lot of things when planning my trips east but you are really digging much deeper.

I'd suggest you attend the Huntoon Island gathering as it gets lots of east coast boaters. East coast and Gulf coast boaters have different ways of doing things. I've attended several gatherings and I learned a lot in one-on-one talks with local c-brats. Topics like dealing with non-floating docks designed for much larger boats and boating in the shallow waters that we seldom encounter in the west.

We'll miss you at this winters Seattle boat show gathering and in the spring Friday Harbor, but we'll be reading your blog, so tell it like you see it.

Chuck

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just published the second post on our blog! Find it here!

I have been having a great back-and-forth with Ted Stehle, editor of Skipper Bob Publications. He is a great person and has been very helpful!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
P/P,

We'll be following your blog and progress. Great trip!

We met Flint and Leslie on the Erie Canal in 2015 - good traveling companions.

Does DayDream have auto pilot? ...Very handy.

Will you be using a SPOT or inReach during your Advenure? If so, please PM us your device address.

Best,
Casey&Mary

Casey & Mary,

Yes, we have autopilot (a Raymarine S-1000), and will be using our InReach SE that we bought used from Jody Kidd!

Pat
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Loopers Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
PAT keep us informed when you are arriving in Sw Florida . We live in Naples and can meet up in Ft Myers (Start of the river ) Jim W.

Pat you could come a month earlier and make the St.Johns gathering in early March and then work your way back down

Jim.

We'd love to come earlier, but that can't happen because we are snowbirding in Arizona, and already planning to cut it a month short so we can be on the road in time to reach Florida by April 1st!

We should be at some marina on the Caloosahatchee on or around April 1st, give or take a day or two. PM me your cell, and I will give you a jingle!

Pat
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I just found a thing called "Great Loop Radio" a radio blog, and there is an interview with Tanya Binford here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aglca/2016/08/26/great-loop-radio-crossing-the-wake

It is about 30 minutes long, interesting and informative. She makes the trip come alive.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey,

Great Loop Radio is part of the America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association (AGLCA), which we joined some time ago. I will give this one a listen!

Pat
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the blog. You are a great planner and writer. Interesting. As to the Alligators, I have heard they are only a problem if you were sent to drain the swamp Wink Might want to keep on of those crab traps handy, to keep Baxter in when you are going through the swamp, and place it low in the boat to keep him out of sight from water level Idea

I will be watching your trip with interest. Thanks for sharing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Might want to keep on of those crab traps handy, to keep Baxter in when you are going through the swamp, and place it low in the boat to keep him out of sight from water level Idea

Yep, those big gators are going to jump in the boat and grab Baxter...Not...We had a neighbor who was convinced that one of the gators would jump out of the bayou and grab his boxer. He had a 4 foot sea wall, that gator would have to jump over! For the most part alligators are shy. If you respect them (its their land), no problems.

I have never used my PNW crab traps in Florida. Not sure they are legal here.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, here is a web site of a couple that did the Loop in a Ranger 29, starting from Puget Sound. They too started the Great Loop in Florida, although a couple of months earlier and finished the trip in 10 months: Andiamo does the Great Loop . They went through Lake Okeechobee, avoiding Key West and the Bahamas.

Their earlier start allowed them to do more in Canada, going through the Trent-Severn Canal, etc. and still head south to avoid the cold. Also the early January start allowed them to avoid Florida in mid-summer, a good thing.

Boris
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Pat, here is a web site of a couple that did the Loop in a Ranger 29, starting from Puget Sound. They too started the Great Loop in Florida, although a couple of months earlier and finished the trip in 10 months: Andiamo does the Great Loop . They went through Lake Okeechobee, avoiding Key West and the Bahamas.

Their earlier start allowed them to do more in Canada, going through the Trent-Severn Canal, etc. and still head south to avoid the cold. Also the early January start allowed them to avoid Florida in mid-summer, a good thing.

Boris

Thanks, I'll take a look!
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, Have you nailed down a secure and affordable place to leave the truck and trailer?

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Pat, Have you nailed down a secure and affordable place to leave the truck and trailer?

No, we were originally going to launch at Apalachicola, and Marc Grove of Wefings said he would find us a spot. Current plan is to launch on the Caloosahatchee River, and Flint said he would find out what is available around there, I need to find out what he has found out!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I'm proactive. So rather than wait till someone finds out what the score is, you might look at storage yards in whatever areas you wand to launch. Also call marinas in that area and ask where you can leave a truck and trailer for a long period. That's what we did (again) around Rio Vista and found an inexpensive storage yard.

I would think that if Werfings would find you along term place, that's ideal.

But call around, most phone plans have unlimited nation-wide call service. I also think you can launch anywhere in the west Florida coast, so if you locate a good storage space, plan to launch there.

Apparently no one s going to volunteer their back yard.

Boris
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came down the Caloosahatchee from Lake Okeechobee in 2006. As I remember there was a large storage facility on the south side of the river a number of miles above Ft. Meyers, but I don't remember a name. Maybe Wild Blue, Jim can remember. There were quite a few acres of boats dry docked there. Maybe by Port Labelle.

We are still considering doing the loop this year. I have been looking at options, even considering buying a 32' Nordic Tug for a loop boat, then reselling it in two years.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We came down the Caloosahatchee from Lake Okeechobee in 2006. As I remember there was a large storage facility on the south side of the river a number of miles above Ft. Meyers, but I don't remember a name. Maybe Wild Blue, Jim can remember. There were quite a few acres of boats dry docked there. Maybe by Port Labelle.

We are still considering doing the loop this year. I have been looking at options, even considering buying a 32' Nordic Tug for a loop boat, then reselling it in two years.

I remember the place, Brent, but not the name. We fueled up there, as I recall. Stack storage and a boat yard.

When we did the winter in Florida, Mike (Papillon) contacted us, offering a place to keep the truck and trailer in his yard. Mike has since sold his C-Dory and moved, so I can't help there, either.

At the time, our daughter said, "So, let me see if I have this right: you are handing the keys to your new truck to somebody you met on the internet? And, he's going to 'keep an eye on it' for you? Are you crazy??"

Yep.

Logistics. Leaving your truck and trailer for months at a time is a concern. I would start looking for storage lots that handle RVs - they are used to dealing with people who leave large assets for half the year or more.

Like Florida, we live in a "hurricane zone." We have a storage unit that is about 40 miles inland, away from the salt air and the potential coastal flood area. Just something else for Pat and Patty to consider in their search for the right place.

Wish I could offer more info.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 3 of 48

Jump to: