El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightening! You will have warning from weather radio or clouds before the arrival of an electrical storm. Our immediate reaction to an approaching storm -- we either tied at a marina and got off the boat and into a protected place, or if that wasn't possible, we anchored in a cove where sailboats with tall masts were also anchored (advice to us from long-distance cruisers) since lightening usually strikes the tallest conductor and our low boat would not be the best target for an electrical charge from the sky.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
Pat Anderson wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:
Pat , are you doing The Loop non-stop?

Yes, we were originally going to start at Apalachicola, but now we are thinking of starting on the Caloosahatchee River so we don't start with a Gulf crossing. But it will be one continuous cruise around!

From Apalachicola you can cut up the crossing by making a quick jump to St Marks, then down to Steinhatchee, and then to Cedar Key. This is "Old Florida" and very cool not to mention much cheaper than other parts of FL. Shallow draft boats get to see more things than big ass trawlers Smile

We'll just do that at the end of the cruise not the beginning! We are planning on doing the hopscotching routine on the west coast!

I loved this post a few days ago on the AGLCA forum by Katy Nicolai:

Moved to Florida fulltime in 2008 but navigated the Gulf coast before that and found that there is actually no water in the Gulf of Mexico and along Florida's west coast - it's all an optical illusion.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning is not that big a problem--but going in the winter does not prevent seeing lightning. Any boat can get hit, including folks on stand up paddle boards. But generally the C Dory is as safe a boat from lightning as any.

There is plenty of water in the Gulf Of Mexico for the C Dory--however, we found a few hard spots with a trawler drawing about 4 feet. The Saint Marks route along the coast, is both interesting, and I believe worthwhile.

Alligators--we have them in the back yard (dormant in the winter up in Pensacola)--not an issue--just use a bit of common sense.

We will be reading every word of your blog.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 10 years ago about now that we hauled Wild Blue from south Texas to south Florida, to spend the winter aboard. Lightning? Yeah, we saw it now and then; like Bill's advice, we made it a point to not be the tallest point near us.

Alligators? Sure. Don't poke at 'em. Keep a close watch on the fur babies...

Florida is a good place to start - the cruising in FL, while completely different from the PNW, is still very interesting. You could easily spend months cruising south Florida and not see it all. The city "canyons" can be just as interesting as (though completely different from) Lake Powell...

Enjoy your time doing the loop. Schedules and "definite" are a good thing to leave behind. Let the season be a guide for your timing.

Have fun!

Jim
jritsema

State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: jritsema
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patty,
You are probably already aware, but if not you may find the blog and book done by Derrek Baan very interesting. He and his crewmate Daveen just completed the GL in 2016. These are 2 Aussies that my wife Beth and I had the pleasure of accompanying for 4 days on the east coast of Lake Michigan. Derrick chronicles their adventure in a C-Dory 25 in the about the same amount of time you have allotted and likely the same float plan. He did submit a few posts on C-Brats a few months ago.

His book is available in hard copy or Kindle at this website:

https://www.amazon.com/Derrick-Baan/e/B017JPAFM6/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1475288132&sr=1-2-ent

He also did an excellent blog that you may want to reference, the link is here:

https://balakera.com/2016/03/page/4/

If you begin the trip blog in March 2016 in the Archive section, you will follow it forward from there. I would recommend at least getting the Kindle version for easy and enjoyable reference.
I look forward to following your blog- maybe we can meet along the way when you get north in a few months.

Best wishes,
Jeff Ritsema
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jritsema wrote:
Pat and Patty,
You are probably already aware, but if not you may find the blog and book done by Derrek Baan very interesting. He and his crewmate Daveen just completed the GL in 2016. These are 2 Aussies that my wife Beth and I had the pleasure of accompanying for 4 days on the east coast of Lake Michigan. Derrick chronicles their adventure in a C-Dory 25 in the about the same amount of time you have allotted and likely the same float plan. He did submit a few posts on C-Brats a few months ago.

His book is available in hard copy or Kindle at this website:

https://www.amazon.com/Derrick-Baan/e/B017JPAFM6/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1475288132&sr=1-2-ent

He also did an excellent blog that you may want to reference, the link is here:

https://balakera.com/2016/03/page/4/

If you begin the trip blog in March 2016 in the Archive section, you will follow it forward from there. I would recommend at least getting the Kindle version for easy and enjoyable reference.
I look forward to following your blog- maybe we can meet along the way when you get north in a few months.

Best wishes,
Jeff Ritsema

Jeff,

I bought Derrick's book, Kindle edition. I have been emailing back and forth with Derrick on a variety of topics, most recently getting gas in Cape Gerardeau, which they did at the Red Star Access Boat Ramp, delivered by the local Farm Co-op tanker truck! Also, the boat Derrick and Daveen cruised, Grace Full, will be our cruising companion with its owners, Flint and Leslie Firestone. It was only last evening Flint suggested in a phone conversation that we really should start at the Caloosahatchee River and not Apalachicola. Made sense to me!

Also, they made the Loop in five months due to a visa limitation - we are planning eight or nine months, so their schedule was a little tighter than ours!

Pat
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a thing called "Great Loop Radio" a radio blog, and there is an interview with Tanya Binford here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aglca/2016/08/26/great-loop-radio-crossing-the-wake

It is about 30 minutes long, interesting and informative. She makes the trip come alive.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patti, I look forward to following your fabulous six month trek. What a journey! Bill and El, I really appreciate your suggestion to slow down, take it at five knots with one engine sleeping, and bring your bird book. My kind of cruising.
Hot

P.S. WildBlue, good job on protecting your beloved tabby buddy. Handsome critter, s/he.
Cat
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Jeff,

I bought Derrick's book, Kindle edition. I have been emailing back and forth with Derrick on a variety of topics, most recently getting gas in Cape Gerardeau, which they did at the Red Star Access Boat Ramp, delivered by the local Farm Co-op tanker truck! Also, the boat Derrick and Daveen cruised, Grace Full, will be our cruising companion with its owners, Flint and Leslie Firestone. It was only last evening Flint suggested in a phone conversation that we really should start at the Caloosahatchee River and not Apalachicola. Made sense to me!

Also, they made the Loop in five months due to a visa limitation - we are planning eight or nine months, so their schedule was a little tighter than ours!

Pat

I went to Amazon today for the Kindle version of this book and it says "This title is not currently available for purchase".
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:

P.S. WildBlue, good job on protecting your beloved tabby buddy. Handsome critter, s/he.
Cat

Brock, you may not remember this, but you had met Molly (that lovely girl) at Bellingham. A month or so later, we were locking through at Ballard, and you wound up rafted off to us.

I said, "Hi, Brock!" as you handed us your line... you saw Molly right beside me in the cockpit (she was almost always beside me) and said...

"Hey! You're Molly's parents!" Mr. Green

Sorry for the hijack on Pat's thread, just a moment that has stayed with me 9+ years later.

Best wishes,
Jim
jritsema

C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: jritsema
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat. Wow is that a small world. Beth and I have been aboard Grace Full several times in different Michigan ports. I must say, Flint and Leslie, that you have a fine boat. She was in good hands.
Sorry to hear the Kindle isn't available. The blog is accessible and is also very good.
Jeff
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ssobol"]
Quote:

I went to Amazon today for the Kindle version of this book and it says "This title is not currently available for purchase".

I just bought the America'sGreat Loop, Aussie Style: for $4.99 in the Kindle book store. So it is available, if you have a Kindle...

It also shows up: here on a separate web site for the Kindle edition.

But not on the print edition site for the book--not sure why--but it is far cheaper in the Kindle edition...The kindle download is large because of the 500 photos.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, of course! Thanks for getting me up to speed regarding Molly. It's all come back now.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P/P,

We'll be following your blog and progress. Great trip!

We met Flint and Leslie on the Erie Canal in 2015 - good traveling companions.

Does DayDream have auto pilot? ...Very handy.

Will you be using a SPOT or inReach during your Advenure? If so, please PM us your device address.

Best,
Casey&Mary

Jeffvann001

City/Region: Gastonia
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Carolina Breeze
Photos: Carolina Breeze
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited for you guys as cruising the Loop is a dream of mine. I'll be looking forward to the blog! Safe travels and God bless on your adventure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 2 of 48

Jump to: