The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Winter Cruises
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Winter Cruises Reply with quote

I thought it might be good to have a common place to post for those who do winter cruises. I know there are those who do crui9se year around and there are some who post about such. But when I went looking for where they were they turn out to be scattered through the site. So, please, feel free to add to this thread as trips and time allow.

SleepyC took advantage of the nice weather offered up over the MLK weekend. I launched out of Port Townsend, WA on Sunday for a short trip. The tides were high and only a foot or two of variation from high to low so I thought it might be a good time to peek into Matts Matts Bay. It is a very enclosed, protected bay about 20 acres in size with a very narrow and shallow entry that uses a set of range marks on the entry leg.

The temp in the cabin was 65 after I finished washing down the trailer and parking the truck, so I didn’t even turn on the Wallas. I did, peel off a fleece shirt layer though and was comfortable in a long sleeved tee. The yami’s started on the first click, without any extra choke, and purred. Seemed to be glad to be into the cold clear water. I had thought I may need to run the Wallas before turning on the electronics, but with it that warm in the cabin I cranked everything up, and had all the screens lit up before leaving the cock.

The Matts Matts Bay entrance is about 12 miles south from Port Townsend Boat Haven when you go through the “PT Cut” under the bridge to Indian Island. As I left PT, the fog was think enough to hide the big Navy crane at the Indian Island navy dock. By the time I was across the PT Bay and even with the big crane, the fog had lifted so that I could see the western shoreline, and as I cruised slowly towards the cut and bridge, the fog lifted and thinned enough to allow the sun to poke through and show the forest of masts below the tree line, and then eventually to be able to see the bridge at the cut. There was hardly enough current flow to leave wakes at the abutments, and a seal was drifting along with me for a couple of hundred feet.

The AIS screen was not showing any targets, but the plotter had a couple, so after I cleared the “Cut” channel, I drifted for a while, checking connections and running through the diagnostics. It came on line with the plotter on completion so off I went, happy in my little world.

Entering the channel to Matts Matts, I called “Secur a tay” announcing my intent (as there is a near 90 port turn right at the end of the range and no visibility of the complete channel), and with no concerned traffic, continued the entrance. The bay was quiet, and only about half the boats there since the last time I had been in. There was a fellow in a new, “Merry Fisher 795”, (a power boat by Jeanneau), who was working with a training captain doing float approaches, and docking. Good thing he had power steering as he was cranking those twins back and forth a bunch. We chatted a bit about the “underwater piles” on the plotter, and the advantages of twin OB’s then they left to go back to Des Moines. With his twin 200’s I’m guessing he used more fuel getting out of Matts Matts than I do for the whole trip.

The return to PT went a bit unusual as I watched a couple in a low freeboard, windshieldless (ex) ski boat take a tow line from a local crabber. As he started the tow, he snapped the line, which looked like binder twine, between the two boats. They were so low in the water that they took water over the side in the process. In my concern for whether they would be able to maintain above the surface, followed them back to Port Hadlock and then merrily went on my way back to the dock at PT, thankful for the beautiful day, the fun outing and the security and seaworthiness of my little C-Dory.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Some here in NW Michigan extend the boating season by doing what others would
not do.

I feel somewhat sheepish for responding since I have not done what follows but
have been familiar with those who have done so.

A well known NW MI yacht club has had for years a sailing race called the
"Deer Hunter's Alternative"; yep, a sailboat race from Charlevoix, MI to
St James, Beaver Island, some 32 miles of open water in northern Lake Michigan
on November 15, the opening day of rifle deer season locally. Then back to
Charlevoix the next day!

Is this being hardy or foolish? You be the judge.

Reports and photos I've seen involve high winds, iced winches, iced decks,
iced rigging and bitter cold. I am not aware of any serious injury to vessels
or participants. Bravo for the those living on the edge!!

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "People climb mountains because they are there."

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, that reads like a fun and memorable day on the water, with a safe and warm little vessel that's eager to delight you anytime you ask. Need to escape the pressure and anxiety of city life? Too many humans? Our little buddies are there to transport us to salty serenity.

Our C-Dory's are such functional, portable little passage makers. They give us a winter day's putt-putt adventure in the fog to Matts Matts, a run 65 miles out into the Pacific to chase fish, a 10 hour dash up to Lund, an afternoon on the hook sipping single malt scotch. What a marvelous friend.
Gift
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mats Mats has a boat launch at the head of the bay that is operated by the Port of Port Townsend. It is a little bit difficult to figure out how to get there, but the launch is fine at mid and high tide and has a nice dock. No fees and plenty of parking. I was the only one there when I launched to attend the Powell River CBGT. Overnight parking is allowed, but I think the sign says that it is limited to two or three nights. I've left a trailer there for a week with no problems.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Catman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first boating memories was cruising into Mats Mats on a 27' Owens in 1965. I recall a small bay full of trees and unspoiled, rustic shoreline, with maybe a cabin or two here and there.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts Mats (not sure which spelling is correct just now) Embarassed is an interesting spot. I don't think I would anchor in there, but you can sit and drift for almost ever. Anchoring might just keep you there forever. Likely an awful bunch of cable, and foul stuff on that bottom. But, it always has interesting vessels.

My first trip in was at close to a minus 1 foot tide. That park dock that Mark mentioned was high and dry, and the passage in was close to 15 feet wide. I shut one engine down and brought if full up, ran the other one up about 1/3rd and we crept in very slow hugging the range mark line.

Mark, your winter trip up into the San Juans motivated me to start this thread.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Likely an awful bunch of cable, and foul stuff on that bottom. But, it always has interesting vessels.
SleepyC Moon

My first time into Mats Mats was in the 70's in a sailboat with a 5 foot draft and no sounder. Spent the night with a big abandoned sailing scow that looked to have been moored there since the 1940's. Probably one of the original "landing craft" used to deliver goods to remote cabins on Puget Sound. We circled it several times, but I was afraid to board it because of ghosts. It would not surprise me if it is now on the bottom.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our favorite off season trips was to launch in Anacortes or Cornet Bay and cruise out to Lopez Island. We would boat camp at the islander resort docks, and utilize their hot tub(which felt really good that time of year). Typically we were the only visiting boat there when there's no fishing and its cold, so they were happy for our business. Restaurant and bar wasn't bad either. We would hike up the road into the little town and get any provisions we needed.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always liked Mystery Bay on the west side of Marrowstone Island in the dead of winter. Rat Island to the north has lots of shore birds and, especially when it's stormy on the coast and in the straights, the bay between Marrowstone and Indian Island loads up with offshore fowl like Murres, Oldsquaw, etc. that we don't usually see in large flotillas. Swinging at anchor in a protected bay and listening to the birds calling all night was a treat.

Mark
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always love Mystery Bay State Park dock, especially in the winter. And now that there is space at the dock for visitors.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO JEALOUS! I can only dream of winter cruising. I do keep busy in the winter with some indoor tennis and volleyball but I can't wait til late March.....

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Catman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I absolutely love that photo. So that's the Mystery Bay State Park dock, eh?

By the way, I had matters to attend to last weekend, but had I not I absolutely would have been out Saturday through Monday. The weather was uncommonly fabulous. Sunny and mild. It hurt to look.
Hot
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

You're not the only one who got to stretch their winter legs! Scallywag spent the day Saturday fishing off Hein Bank. Three just shy at 23", one big old wild and one keeper. It was a little cold and rainy but we'll worth the run. That night Alicia and I spent the night aboard in Cornet Bay and woke to some icy docks and a clear sky!

We loaded up two potential c-brats and headed out for round two on the banks Sunday morning. The tide was slack and the water was calm heading under Deception Pass but the calm was short lived. The porpoises in what seamed like schools of 10-15 were playing in the building chop and shortly after setting the downriggers, the wind waves and rollers were right on beam so we cut short for a run to Friday Harbor. There must have been 20+ sea lions and over 15 eagles hanging out on the island at the entrance to Cattle Pass and it quickly made the rough troll worth while.

Friday Harbor was quiet, lunch was good and a short walk around the docks dreaming of boats I'll never afford rounded out our stay. We headed home with some light, but choppy following seas and I gave my guest some time at the wheel to see if this was the style of boat he was really interested in. My friend had no problems at all handling the boat and I think making the run back under the bridge while he was captaining Scallywag might have sealed their boat fever fate.

Either way, it was a great couple days on the water and as soon as this wind dies down we'll be out again!

P.s. What's this winterizing thing all about?

John & Alicia
Scallywag
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are mostly sailors, but I picked up the C-Dory specifically to spend some time on the water in the winter. Now that the river has turned mostly back to liquid, I plan to go out for at least a bit this weekend! I just wasn't counting on this much ice this year.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I can't wait til late March.....

Jason, drag that boat out early March, and bring it down to Florida for the St. John's gathering! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: