The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/19 - 05/21 - 2017 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: GATHERING INFO Reply with quote

Spring is here Brats!

Ari is looking forward to hosting another Friday Harbor gathering and we have details on hand to share with the group.

When you arrive at the Port of Friday Harbor Marina, there is no need to call in for a slip assignment with the port. They have reserved the inside of H dock and slips 1-27 on G dock for our group. The slips available for our group should be largely marked with flags. Look for the other C-Brats to dock next to of course and we will be monitoring VHF 68 Friday and Saturday if you have any questions as you cruise in, or if you would like any assistance getting moored. Once you are settled at the dock, make note of your slip # and please walk up to the office to get checked in for the weekend.

If you don't want shore power, consider tying up on the walkway dock between H and G to free up more powered slips for others.

Marina Map
http://www.portfridayharbor.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/150312-POFH-Marina-Map-8.5-x-11.pdf

--There will be a casual (optional) dinner Friday evening at 5:30 at the Rumor Mill restaurant. We have a number of seats filled, but quite a bit more space, so let us know your coming by PM or post to this thread.

Rumor Mill Restaurant, 175 1st St.
Menu - http://www.rumor-millsanjuan.com/menu.html

--Saturday morning, starting at 7 a.m., we will have coffee, tea, hot cocoa and baked goods available on the activity float at the end of H dock. This is a good chance to enjoy some comforts and make plans for the day.

--We have arranged for Saturday morning Coast Guard vessel safety checks starting at 9am for anyone interested. Let us know by PM or this thread if you want one.

--The potluck will be at 5:30 Saturday at the end of H dock. No sign-up necessary, just bring an item to share. Plates and utensils provided. Bring your own drink and chair.

--Boat naming/de-naming will be Saturday evening immediately following the potluck. Be sure to bring some greenery and let us know the boat name if you are interested. Still seeking an interested master of ceremonies for this if anyone is interested.

Don't forget to bring your nametags! And we will have blank tags available if anyone needs one when they arrive.

Ari will be trailering up to Coronet Bay Thursday night and launching first thing for a early Friday arrival. We plan to stay through Monday and likely go to Jones Island for Sunday night.

Greg, Cindie, and Aven

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to arrive on Friday and stay in the San Juans for about a week or longer after the event - depending on the weather. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again this year.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather looks great for the upcoming weekend!...
If possible can you add two for the Friday night get together? Looking forward to starting the season and seeing everyone.
Hiromi, Mike and Sydney

Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Offleash! We will see you there!

Greg
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, Cindie, and friends,

Unfortunately Nomad has to pull out of the FH gathering. Andrea has been on the waiting list for minor surgery and her number has just been called. So we have to stay close to home.

The weather forecast is great. So everyone have lots of fun, and we hope to see some of you at the Great Canadian Gathering, Powell River, in July.

Martin and Andrea.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you will miss it but best of health to you both and we ARE planning to attend the great northern gathering this year and will see you on the water.

Greg
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been away for awhile.

Is this outing the third weekend of May, every year?

Keith

Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

We try to hit the weekend before Memorial day each year which ends up being the 3rd weekend of the month. The dates vary a bit of course but we try and post the dates in January for the sake of planning and assuring we get the dock space we need.

Greg
rlengle

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Margie May
Photos: Margie May
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Add Dick & Rosie Engle on Margie May for Fri dinner .... Reply with quote

We bought the Margie May (C-Dory 16 Cruiser) from Ron Holeman a couple of years ago and are looking forward to our first C-Dory Friday Harbor trip. Up until now, we've been up and back to the SJ islands by sailboat so this trip should be a treat .... it'll be a lot faster getting there.
Assuming the latest forecast holds we're heading out of Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island Weds morning en route Anacortes for the night. We'll cruise around the islands on Thurs and eventually expect to show up at Friday Harbor Fri by mid-day.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching for information about using Ethanol gas in my engines and came across this information that seemed to make some sense to me.

I know that most of you use Ethanol gas all the time with no problems, yet when Nomad went to Friday Harbor a few years ago he ended up with costly repairs and problems so this might be of interest to any Canadians traveling to Friday Harbor.

Quote:
Problems with the transition to E10 fuel

The most likely time for fuel problems occurs when you first begin using ethanol-blended fuel. When E10 is added to a fuel system that has been using non-ethanol gasoline, ethanol, as a new solvent, will tend to dissolve and loosen deposits that are present in the tank and fuel system. Phase separation may occur, resulting in an approximately 50/50 ethanol and water layer at the bottom of the fuel tank. To limit problems with a changeover to E10:

Check for the presence of water in the fuel tank. Inspect the water-separating fuel filter on larger engines. If water is found, pump the tank dry from the fuel line or siphon the tank dry. Examine the fuel in a clear container. If the fuel is not clear or has a sour odor, the tank should be cleaned.
Add a quality cleaner to help clean deposits in engine
Completely fill the tank with E10 fuel to maximize the amount of ethanol in the tank to absorb any water present
Monitor filters and carry extra fuel filters due to filter-clogging concerns

That information was from the WestMarine website https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths

Does anyone know what a good fuel additive would be?
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tosca needs to cancel. We will not be attending this year due some recent and unexpected developments. Too bad because I was looking forward to trying my new 13" pitch prop (which is being installed today) to get there with my year old Yamaha 200. Hopefully next week I will give her a spin.
bridma

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cgypsy,

What you described can happen with ethonol is exactly what happened to me. It was costly. Tow the boat to a marina. Recover boat. Clean out both fuel tanks. Clean 6 carbs in two engines. Relaunch boat. Cost hundreds of dollars and a great amount of time.
I googled ethonol free gas in the San Juans and came up with Rosario Resort as the only option. I fuelled up there a couple of years ago, no problems. Last year after Friday Harbor I went to Puget Sound, plenty of choices there for E free gas.
I would suggest you leave Canadian waters with both tanks full and carry extra in some jerry cans. I carry an extra 10 gallons.
If you HAVE to get ethonol, yes carry some additives. Seems that the places you fuel up at for ethonol also carry additives.

Martin.
bridma

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Good news, surgical procedure was brought forward due to a short-notice cancellation, so Nomad is still hoping to arrive FH lunch time Friday Smile

Martin and Andrea
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday Harbor has ethanol free fuel. I fueled up there on my Stuart Island trip less than a month ago. The ethanol free gas was something like .30/ gal more than the ethanol gas. Can't even remember which one I picked, I run both but most marinas I've encountered around here are Ethanol free (in fact I was surprised FH was even offering the E10).

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2646&id=IMG_0166_1500x1125&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

cgypsy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Friday Harbor has ethanol free fuel.

Thanks Mike.

Martin (or anyone) do you know the best place for the last gas stop before leaving Canada so my tanks are full before crossing the straight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: