The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Charger/Battery Monitor Recommendation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jritsema

State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: jritsema
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Charger/Battery Monitor Recommendation Reply with quote

Mine is a 2008 TomCat, lead acid batteries, 2 house, and one each start batts for my dual 150 Hondas. All batts new when I bought the boat this spring form Mobile East Marine. Gene did not advise of the need to replace the charger but did advise that it was a "lightweight".
I have the original Guest 20 amp charger and understand the general consensus that it is best to replace this, but am undecided regarding the Make and Model number best recommended. I will not be using an inverter.
I have had recent Xantrex failures on my former 36' sailboat so I am a bit uneasy about that manufacturer.
Further, I wonder if it is best to have a stand alone battery monitor, and what make and model might suit my needs.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Jeff
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guest chargers are sort of battery maintainers, and function mostly to top off the charge, but not made to take the place of a converter, or heavy duty battery charger, which carries the higher power loads at the dock. They are not fan cooled, and only have a relatively low output to each battery.

Of all the "latest" battery chargers, I would look very carefully at theBlue Seas.

The other two I would consider are Victron, and MasterVolt. I have a Mastervolt on my 22. It works very well.

The monitor systems are of several types, and certainly one type is recommended.
The Victron 702 allows monitoring of the house bank--and voltage of one other battery. You can supplement this with cheap digital battery monitors from Amazon.

I happen to use the" Link" system which is similar. There are some really cheap similar systems available, but not as easily reset, nor waterproof. All of these type use a shunt in the negative circuit, and monitor the current in and out of the battery--to give a picture of current status.

Another way of looking at the whole system is by Balmar Smart Guage This does not use a shunt, and gives a reading of "state of charge"--more expensive, but many who have used it, say it works very well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: BLUE SEAS Reply with quote

Oops, Bob beat me on this post.
He must be retired.
We're not in cahoots.
I'm rather surprised he didn't insist you can just monitor your House voltage carefully (to 0.01V) instead of a $300 monitor.
I'll have to get one someday, as another expensive redundant toy.
What fun is boating without expensive, redundant toys?

Jeff,
Yeah, I was there too, and that cheap Guest ruined 3 group 31 batteries (over $1,000). As always, I will be accused of buying the top of the line too soon, but I'm very happy with the Blue Seas P2 40A.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--p12-battery-chargers--P013908876

Unique ability to individually pre-float each battery (your House unit takes a beating compared to the Start batteries). Built bullet-proof, Fast US based tech support, designed and built right in Bellingham, and iron-clad 5-year warranty. NO ONE ELSE HAS A 5 YEAR WARRANTY ON A MARINE BATTERY CHARGER.
You get what you pay for.
After all is said and done, again, you get what you pay for.

I just installed their 12v digital readout for $40 on the helm bus and it works well enough to get you 0.01 voltage accuracy. Combine batteries or recharge at 12.20V on the House unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Mini-Voltmeter/dp/B01CZ2ZXKM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1483496230&sr=8-14&keywords=blue+sea

Good hunting. You will find many cheaper units.
Gene is a good honest dealer, he didn't lie to you.
My PO bought my boat from them.
I've had to replace every Guest unit including charger and Galvanic Isolator.

John

jritsema

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and John for the prompt, concise responses. It is something I can work on given this.
Jeff
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another way of looking at the whole system is by Balmar Smart Guage This does not use a shunt, and gives a reading of "state of charge"--more expensive, but many who have used it, say it works very well.

Just installed one. Works great, was easy to install and is simple to understand.

OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff
I just went through the same decision process over the last few months. Lots of good recommendations on the blog.
I have the same flooded battery set up as you have. I ended up going with Pro Mariner's ProNautic 12 -20amp charger. It won some innovations awards and had some feature I liked. It is newer to the market and does not have a lot of history yet but so far (2 months) no surprises. It basically shuts is self off when fully charged and automatically conditions the batteries when needed. It is supposed to be more energy efficient and even has a temperature probe to monitor the batteries.
I got if for only $227 from Hodges Marine on line. http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Xantrex-True-I-Charge-I-153-2-20amp-Battery-Cha-p/xan804-1220-02.htm

Voltage meter
If you want to go cheap I ended up with some simple inexpensive volt meters I added impulse switches and fuses so I could monitor each battery voltage independently. I mounted them by the battery switches for convenience vs the dash.
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Digital-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B010HM43RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483581177&sr=8-1&keywords=voltage+gauge

I will try and add some pics of the gauges and set up over the next few days I mounted the charger high in the hanging closet for easier viewing. I hated looking under the seat where the guest was installed.
Good luck with the project

jritsema

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
My local marine electronics guru recommended the ProNautics 1230P or 1220P as a reliable, reasonably priced charger. He's installed a lot of these over many years. He went on to say that Blue Seas also a good choice.
Any thoughts, experience, with the Pro Nautics?
Thanks, Jeff
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, which model Mastervolt do you have. I am looking at replacing my guest charger here in the next month or so, and while I like what I read about the Blue Sea, the Mastervolt appears to be quite a bit cheaper. My Guest has served me well, and for all I know might continue too. But I'm assuming it came with the boat, a 2007 model, and I'm sure the newer stuff is much more efficient. I'm also looking at replacing my batters in the next few years, and wondering if the Optima's would be a better bet over my regular lead acid batteries now. This is the mastervolt I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007D27KW4/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_xx_P1250_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=76c45a1c927536e5b3d261d3dbbd52a9_S

I really don't need more than 20 amps, I don't believe. I'm just running the two batteries now, and have not had a problem with the time to charge when on shore power. If I were to go to the Blue Sea, I'd look at the smaller one there too. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I have the ChargeMaster 12/25-3 Which I believe is the same one you linked to on Amazon.

I have no experience with the Professional Mariner current products. I had one of the Professional mariner years ago--and had a board failure which I replaced. My good friend also had one which he used on several circumnavigations. I did send him some parts along the way, but as I recollect the charger was still working when he sold the boat. But that was some time ago--and the newer products will be entirely different. I do have one of their small DC to AC MSW inverters and it has worked well for years.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, I have the ChargeMaster 12/25-3 Which I believe is the same one you linked to on Amazon.

And I assume you've been happy with it? Where do you have it mounted. My intent is just to put a new charger in place of the old one, which is mounted above the water tank on the bottom of the aft dinette seat. Thanks again. Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Blue Seas, Mastervolt and Pro Mariner are all owned by the same parent company.

http://www.powerprodllc.com/en/product-solutions/global-marine-mobile
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pro mariner on my 22 that had a circuit board failure as well. Replaced it with a rebuilt unit on ebay for around $80 and sent my core unit back. I've been happy besides that failure and it was 12 years old when it failed. Since the replacement its been going strong again.

I can only find the unit new now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promariner-ProTech-i-Series-1240i-40A-3-Bank-Automatic-Marine-Battery-Charger-/322379122226?hash=item4b0f4b0632:g:PJAAAOSwiDFYMHue&vxp=mtr
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff
With regard to ProMariner product longevity, before I installed the Dry Mount ProNautic 1220 in my tomcat I did have 4 years of trouble free use with the waterproof ProSport in a sailing catamaran I lived and cruised on. Familiarity with the brand, was probably part of the reason I leaned toward this unit over some of the other highly recommended chargers out there.

Also I did upload a picture of where I mounted the ProNautic in the Tomcat closet (Off Leash Photo album} . No matter which dry mount charger you end up getting, I would encourage you to consider this location, same wiring, better monitoring visibility even when the closed has hanging gear, and better air space than under the seat where my wife stuffs everything under the sun next to it. One more thing I am hoping for is heat and air movement from the charger fan will hopefully keep items in the closet a little dryer and keep any mold down.
One caution, if you are a big guy it will be tight to work in there if you don't have long arms.
Again , Good luck with the project.

Mike[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=OffLeash&id=ProNautic_1220P_in_Closet&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the photo:

ProNautic 1220P Charger mounted in hanging closet for easier battery monitoring:
(Good thinking/logic/execution! - Joe)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jritsema

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all-Great feedback
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: