City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I'll keep information posted here as I figure out what I'm doing. First plan of attack will be to decide which end I want to launch at. So, looking for recommendations on where folks have launched and parked their rigs either at Skagway or Prince Rupert. Colby

My knowledge for vehicle storage & the boat launch at Prince Rupert is from 2004, so pretty much irrelevant now, though it was a busy place back then & probably more so now. Our first launch at Skagway was a small inflatable in 2001. We went down to Haines & back. Fun trip. This is the inflatable & Jo-Lee at the Haines Marina.

At that time the Skagway Marina & launch was pretty primitive. We came back to Skagway in 2003 with the C-Dory. They had a place right at the Marina to store the truck & trailer. Since then, we’ve been back there six more times with the longest storage time about three months in 2012 & the last two months this year. Since our first trip they have doubled the Marina size & added a double ramp launch. We have never found it overly busy with a slip or spot at the transient dock if needing to stay a few days for the Lynn Canal to calm. There’s plenty of space to prepare for launch & tow rig storage at the Marina, also water for wash up when the cruising ended. Showers available at the Marina, a grocery store & laundry not to far & plenty to do in & around Skagway if stuck there due to weather. Skagway is an additional one way 600 miles further compared to Prince Rupert & that’s not a bad thing to us, as those miles are through some awesome country & Skagway closer to my preferred SE Alaska cruising area. We’ve cruised much of the area between Prince Rupert & Skagway with the area north of Petersburg liked best. Both launch sites have a stretch of water that can cause delays. The Dixon entrance just north of Prince Rupert & the Lynn Canal directly south of Skagway. Again our preference is Skagway.

We won’t see you up on the Alaska waters in 2019 as a rv road trip to the Arctic is in our plans for 2019, but who knows we may see you on the road. In 2020 we again hope to be cruising in SE Alaska via Skagway.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. I've been conversing with another couple planning to launch out of Prince Rupert, and good chance I'll travel with them. However, I'm keeping my options wide open. For me personally, I hope to spend two months out west. I would spend most this time solo on my boat, but my wife and I have been discussing the feasibility of either or both of us flying out and back home. This arrangement might even allow me to spend a little bit longer on the Inside Passage to see more. Rosanne is not able to to get so much time off of work, nor has an interest in small boat travel over open water or in the wilderness. Yet, would be nice to have her come out for a week or so of R&R in the larger cities or travel on protected waters, and for me to get back home for a week to take care of any chores she needs help with there. And needless to say, I don't care to spend several or more months away from my wife. So accepting some additional costs with air fare could make such an endeavor that much better. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very likely going to be joining with another couple, and launching at Prince Rupert late May. I should probably go back and review earlier posts in this thread or other threads, but to make it simple, any recent recommendations on safe places to store the pickup and trailer for several months in Prince Rupert? Also, just checked on non-resident Alaska fishing license. Ouch. $145. And then if I want a King Salmon stamp, another $100. I do want to do some fishing and crabbing, so I will get the sport fishing license. Question is, do I really need the King Salmon stamp? I'm looking at the months of June and July being in SE Alaska. From my earlier days based in Kodiak AK, it seems like the Kings ran later in the season. Of course that was shoreline. How common is it to catch Kings on downriggers or lines in the inside passage during June and July? Colby
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

Store your truck and trailer at Coastal Propane, a short walk from the launch at Rushbrook.

ADF&G has not yet published King limits for 2019, but chances are numbers will be really low. I will probably get a stamp, since I'll be in SE AK close to three months, but may suggest that my 2-3-week guests save their $100.

Last year non-residents were limited to 3 Kings, if all caught before end of June. If after that, only 1, including those caught earlier.

We're not the most expert at King fishing, but have caught our biggest mooching with herring rather than on downriggers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGVVNkSvfWm99ppG8

We consider we're doing OK if each of us gets one or two during the summer. Almost all caught in June or July.

Coho are lots of fun, and far more numerous, especially after about mid July. Halibut are probably our favorite - well, except maybe for crab and prawns. Hard to find a good meal up there........

OTOH, one nice King is worth a lot more than $100.

Maybe we'll see you up there!

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion:

Go for crab or prawns early in your trip - before the commercials take a lot of them, both numbers and size are much better.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. Think I'll just pass on the King stamp then. Doing so, I'll probably just end up hooking the downrigger on them, rather than the Cohos. LOL. They are fun to catch I know. Caught one or two Lake Michigan Kings, and one or two when I lived in Kodiak a long time ago. But the Coho's, Dolly's and others are just as fun. I'll have my crab ring along as well to drop over in the evenings or when anchored. Perhaps we'll run into you if you too are planning to be on the Inside Passage. I'll research the Coast Propane parking. I think I've seen that mentioned elsewhere. Colby
NewMoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

King restrictions just announced here:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index.cfm?ADFG=Region.R1&Year=2019
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a few weeks away from hitting the road to out west. Plans are to travel with another couple, and launch at Prince Rupert sometime around the end of May. As of now, looks like Coastal Propane will be the rigs summer digs. Unless anyone has anywhere else they'd recommend for truck/trailer storage.

At this point, I've decided not to bottom paint Midnight Flyer. I do plan on having her hauled out after about 6 weeks and pressure washing the bottom. This will be in Petersburg. Any other recommendations or warnings?

How is cell coverage on the Inside Passage?
NewMoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

Don't know about Verizon, but near many towns, even small ones, AT&T cell coverage is often workable. There are many more remote stretches where there's no coverage, but we find ourselves in covered areas fairly often. Some are pleasant surprises, like: Icy Strait south of the entrance to Glacier Bay (not too far from Gustavus), further west as far as Elfin Cove (weaker but sometimes usable), and right in the middle of the Dixon Entrance. Also depends on the surrounding terrain - no reception in the fjord-like Tracy Arm, for example.

FYI, the King numbers for non-residents have been announced. Like last year non-residents are limited to 3 Kings, if all caught before end of June. If after that, only 1, including those caught earlier. Plus the tighter restrictions in certain areas.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index.cfm?ADFG=region.NR&Year=2019&NRID=2719
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby;

It seems like you have a great summer planned out. I've been in SE AK many times. Sometimes we launch in Washington and cruise BC. BC is a great cruise however, fuel and provision prices are very high.....

When we're going to Alaska ATT seems to be the best carrier for cell coverage. Like Richard said there are some blank spots with no coverage.
We will get a prepaid AT & T phone since we have US Cellular here,

You can call Verizon and see if you'll have any coverage besides KTN,, JNU an Sitka.

Gene

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoom to SE AK. A T & T has by far the best coverage in SE. Click on the interactive map, and there is a window you can scroll thru carriers. But thru the country, Verizon has over 70%, with considerably less from other carriers. We had both an A T & T phone and a Verizon "burner" when in AK. We have just added a Verizon "jet Pac" to compliment our AT&T service. Just too many areas, including S. Calif. and the St. John's River. where we cannot get AT&T data, where Verizon will get a decent signal. Thru Family Motor Coach we get 25G (before throttling) of Verizon data for $50 a month with one penny for the jet pac receiver.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have Verizon and will be upping my data to allow additional Canadian service and also, just to have more data available. Smile Think I'm going to pass on the King stamp and just get the regular sport fishing license. I guess if I get a King, I'll enjoy the fight, then throw it back! lol. But I'll be plenty happy if I can catch supper of Crabs, Cohos and Halibut frequently. Very Happy Hard to believe just over two weeks before I head out.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's on! I left home Wednesday early morning, and spent the first night at a truck stop between Mitchell and Chamberlain SD, and then the second night at Red Shale Campground near Ashland MT. Bill and Becky from Blue Days joined me yesterday and we are currently sitting in Chief Joseph Park in the town of Harlowton, a little ways south of Great Falls, MT. We had planned on leaving here this morning to cross the border, but decided to wait out some winter weather. Yes, it does snow here in the middle of May! I'm not even going to say just how tired I am of this relentless winter the middle of the country has been having! We'll either head out this afternoon if it warms up, or wait until tomorrow. I probably won't be posting here as often, but will try to post the highlights as they happen, when I have internet. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying at Peter and Judy's Bison Ranch this evening. They shared a lot of interesting information with us, and dished up a great meal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: