Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jritsema

State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: jritsema
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboard our TomCat this summer, we spent 3 weeks on the T/S and the eastern shore of Georgian Bay and then back to Lake Michigan by way of the North Channel.
Some thoughts:
First, this was our first, but by no means our last time in these parts. We have spent decades visiting the North Channel, which is a separate topic to itself, but this was our first time in that part of Georgian Bay and the T/S. These are must trips. We had intended to do both the T/S and the Rideau but elected to do only about 3/4 of the T/S and then back-track to Port Severn, going from there north on the small craft channel along Georgian Bay. Our rationale was that after we counted the number of locks, we re-considered our original plan.
Both the T/S and the Rideau boast about 45 locks each (that's 90 locks one way if doing both canal systems. That's a LOT of locks. As it turned out, we did 45 locks in our up/back trip- that was plenty for one trip, for us.
We plan to visit one canal system per year.
Second, there are many, many opportunities to anchor, though it doesn't require a dinghy- we did not take ours.
Third, the scenery is spectacular, constantly changing. The townsfolk are the best. Marinas are available and we had no difficulty finding a place, in part because we start early and end early. Opportunity to fuel up is no problem. Staying on the walls by the locks works and many but not all have Hydro (the word they use for power) and bathroom facilities.
The season is a big issue for planning. These northern waters don't really warm until July (the Great Lakes and Georgian Bay). 2 years ago there was still ice in Grand Traverse Bay (northern Lake Michigan) the first week of May. The T/S doesn't open till mid-may and closes mid-Oct, a fairly short season. The canals and inland lakes warm earlier. We went mid-Aug through mid-Sept. Delightful weather, water warm. By mid Sept this part of the country gets windy and cold. Our marina in Muskegon michigan closes Oct 15.
While we were there in August I felt it was moderately busy on the weekends in the tourist towns but fairly quiet during the week. Certainly after Labor Day, things really quiet. June would be fine (before the family vacations begin), but prepare to dress warm or wear shorts/ both needed.
I would agree- 2017 may be busier.
Conclusion, this is not to be missed. Sorry about this long post.
Jeff
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Cruising Canada Reply with quote

Jeff, Sounds like you have done what I hope to do next summer! Would you care to comment on current "porta-pottie" requirements in Canadian waters? Last year there were rumors of boats being impounded for not having a permanently installed holding tank! Thanks.....
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am interested in cruising on the Trent Severn this year, and brought the following thread back to life for anyone else interested, or willing to share.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24155&highlight=

Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, thank for bringing that thread up, and it has some great links too.

Fun reading and planning.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Application to receive a National Park Pass can be found going to - "www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca"

Just checked the website - lock passes are "coming soon"

Rob

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Application to receive a National Park Pass can be found going to - "www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca"

Just checked the website - lock passes are "coming soon"

Rob

Rob, Are the Lock Passes a separate, required piece of paper? Are they included with/in the Canada parks pass?

Thanks

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Harvey - when we did the Trent-Severn, the lock pass was based on day-usage. They had a seasonal pass, or you could buy a one week or two week pass, as I recall. The days on the pass were not consecutive, i.e. if you stopped for a few days in one place, nothing was marked off your pass. And, you may transit several locks in one day, all covered on that day's check-off.

There was also a separate charge, per night, if you tied off on the wall outside the locks.

Hope that explains it.

Jim
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Are the Lock Passes a separate, required piece of paper? Are they included with/in the Canada parks pass?

Not sure how they will work that. Seems like a waste of paper if its free anyway but they are requiring people to apply for a park pass. Just keep checking the website and I guess we will see when "coming soon" comes!

Regards, Rob
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Thanks and yes it does explain it. The day pass concept makes sense, if you do the math and the miles. Takes some preplanning, which I hate to have to do when traveling here to there on a boat, but then, the canal weather and conditions are probably more predictable the Juan de Fuca.

Rob, Thanks too. I have applied for a "Parks Pass" but didn't know anything about the "Locks Pass".

Agree, if it free, why duplicate the paper and the provision process, but...... might have something to do with a/the government.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my Canadian Parks pass that I ordered earlier. Still waiting for the lock passes to become available. Colby
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking at cruising the Canadian canals starting in the second week of August.

We would like to do a loop of the Trent Severn, Rideau and maybe Richelieu to Lake Champlain down to the Erie canal.

Thinking of going as far as we can until weather or canal closings force us to stop. Can anyone recommend a launch and secure parking spot on the Severn/ Georgian Bay end of the canal?

How much should we try to cruise in two months? Most of the canals close by mid October. I'm thinking of a one way cruise not doing the Trent Severn in both directions. Mooring the boat at the end and traveling over land to retrieve the truck and trailer.

Looking for suggestions.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if our canals will be opening this week end - may be delayed due to flooding. If you were planning an early season trip check with Parks Canada.
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a picture of Lock 19 - Scots Mill - taken on May 10, 2017 - compliments of Parks Canada Facebook Page.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: