Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, asked what is the “attraction” of the Canadian Historic Canals.
Both the T-S and the Rideau were built after the war of 1812 to provide a supply route safe from American invasion to central Canada from the business heart of Montreal & Quebec. Since they were made for the large freight hauling Voyageur Canoes the canals were built without a tow path (unlike the Eire canal) and thus could use lakes & rivers and so needed less work to build and maintain. The locks are hand operated with 6 to 8 foot lifts. That string of lakes and streams gives them a charm and beauty not found in a typical “towpath” canal, but you still have the small towns that welcome visitors. The locks are still hand operated and the locals bring out their lawn chairs to watch boats locking thru on weekends. With the string of lakes connected by short sections of river, canal & locks you have many good anchorages, wildlife & fishing as well as marinas and towns to visit & provision.

Penny and I attended the fall “looper” convention in 2011 wondering if we wanted to do the Great Loop. What we learned was that just getting around the loop is a big challenge. Each year about 300 boats start and only 100 finish. We quickly decided that the challenge to “do” the loop was not our bag. Instead we asked “gold loopers” what or where did you enjoy the most? We learned about three areas right off: 1) The western half of the Eire Canal, 2) the Rideau and Trent-Severin canals, and 3) Georgian Bay. As we had never heard of the two Canadian canals, we put those further down our bucket list and did the Eire Canal in August, 2013. We really enjoyed the Eire Canal, but it was quite warm = one morning at 6 AM it was 90 degrees and 90% humidity, devastating to westerners used to dry air. Our future plans try to avoid that.

In 2017 we plan to spend a month to six weeks in the two canals & eastern end of Georgian Bay. We can’t get free from Idaho before the middle of August. For us it’s 2,500 miles or 50 hours of trailering to the Kingston, ON area, which is a week depending how hard we push. Our thoughts at this time are to find a marina we can leave the truck & trailer so we can boat both directions returning to the truck as needed. We are planning to hang around as the weather cools until late September if the weather gods bless us.
We’d enjoy meeting any other boaters for all or part of the time.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, we spend most of our summers bouncing around on Lake Erie. Most of the time we anchor out, cruise a bit, float around or visit a nearby marina for lunch, etc. Some days its too rough to anchor, some days its too rough to get up on plane, some days its too rough to even go out. I've gone out solo when I probably shouldn't have but enjoyed the challenge. The wife does not enjoy any rough conditions. 5 years ago it took us 7 hours to get home from Welland(53 miles), then ran out of gas within site of our marina.

So,,,,, the point to all this - when we started exploring The Trent we were amazed. Protected waterways, fuel, food, beautiful places to moor or anchor overnight, and all the other things Jim mentioned. We have spent 6 weeks on The Trent and still haven't finished it. We have actually gone from 1 lock to the next and said WOW this is beautiful lets stay here for a night.

Some of the most important recommendations I can make are;

Get an up to date "Ports Cruising Guide" - well worth the investment.

Have lines and fenders set up on both sides when approaching locks.

Have chafing gear for your stern line when mooring at the locks.

In my album I have added tips/suggestions as a description with each picture - you have to clic on each picture individually to read them. There's 100 of them so you might need coffee or something to keep you awake to get through them all. Razz

Regards, Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Jim, Ken, Colby, Chuck & Penny and Rob, for your thoughtful responses. OK, I could be interested, and will do some more looking into it before I decide.

I certainly agree, there are different types of cruising and different folks like different areas and for different reasons. For me, I enjoy some geographical point goals and the navigation challenges included. I also have been interested in finding wildlife and have spent hours searching and watching bears and whales.

Rob, I will be looking at you album, and also I will be checking "Halcyon Days" for El and Bill's perspective. I will have to admit that part of the "dis-appeal" is the cross country tow. Not that I mind towing, but not for a 2-4 week cruise, and I'm not going for the full summer yet. It is still early and summer plans are not in concrete yet, so will see what happens.

For those who are interested, and going, I hope to see plenty of reports and pictures, please.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, my friend, I hope none of us here made you feel you had to defend your style of cruising. Any recreational endeavor should be because you want to, not because you were convinced to. Wink

I agree with you about a cross country tow for a relatively short cruise, but some feel that is part of the adventure. Their recreation, their decision. And just like the thread about "doing the Loop," there is no wrong way or right way, just the way each person chooses.

When you put it out there: "What am I missing?"... well, some are going to tell you... we have opinions, are we aren't afraid to use 'em! Cool

You live in a world class cruising area. I don't have to tell you that you could spend a lifetime exploring the Pacific Northwest and not see it all. And, going back to your favorite places?? Why would you do that - there are SO many new places??? Yes, I am kidding with you. Wink

Sometimes, the best cruising is because of the weather... or who you were with... of the fact that there was no one else around... the amazing scenery... the wildlife... this history... the architecture.

I have to say that I would never want to live in a big city... but I enjoy visiting them for a time. When we did the Erie Canal/Hudson River/Trent-Severn waterway, a week in New York City with the boat at Liberty Landing Marina was truly unforgettable. Finding a real Texas BBQ place a couple blocks off the Erie Canal (after being away from Texas for a month or so at that point) in a small town. Meeting the delightful lady (whose husband is bridge tender) who brought us white-hots after reading in our blog that we didn't know what those were (I think she mostly came by to meet Izzy). The lock tender on the Trent-Severn who gave us an "inside tour" of the Peterborough Lift Lock before it opened for traffic for the day - then took our photo in the lock...

Being invited to attend an "end of the season" marina party (complete with an Elvis impersonator. A chance meeting with our Texas neighbor while staying on a town wall, waiting to see a Jimmy Buffett tribute band. Poutine! The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Meeting other C-Brats in the area. New Jersey deli food. One of my favorite photos of little Izzy...

Each cruising experience is what you make of it. And don't get me started on all the interesting places you will pass by on your tow from the west to the east...

Best wishes,
Jim
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Chuck and Penny, our summer plan is to cruise the T/S and the Rideau Canals. Although the 'plan is still pretty loose, we'll probably head North (from Florida) in mid-May. Working our way north, and hope to find some place around Kingston, ON to launch the boat and store the truck/trailer.

The T/S isn't a loop, so I suppose we'll end up exploring it up-then-back. Let's see, if we concentrate on stuff on the port side both ways we should see it all!

The Rideau will be sort of a loop if we follow the current north, then ride the locks (southbound) back to Kingston. ...unless we opt to do the whole mini-loop.

Any ideas or suggestions are certainly welcome!

...already starting to get anxious!

Best,
Casey&Mary

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim how much did you use the dinghy on the canal trip?
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, Thanks for sharing those high points and the great pix. And no need for any apology at all. I was really trying to be apologetic about not being excited about an area that is so popular and that many love. Being a bit shy and single handing mostly, I don't meet and mix with as many folks as you do, so I might might miss those contacts you make. I do enjoy the scenery, and the navigation aspects. Sometimes the logistics are challenging, but after nearly 3 months last summer, I think I can handle it.

I have been looking at Rob's album and there are certainly some interesting aspects to the canal cruising, (lift locks, rail rides, and side swapping - red on right then red on left and back again) that would keep it challenging.

I am not putting the canal cruising down, and hope no one feels I am putting them down for choosing that type of cruising. I was hoping to get comments about what folks liked and why, and that is working. As you mentioned, living where I do, I could spend the rest of my life in this area and not see it all, so I either need some pretty significant motivation to go east, or spend my resources investing in more local enticements. For me, the mountains, deep fjords, and tiny hidden anchorages are still a big draw even though there are plenty of other places to go as well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
Hey Jim how much did you use the dinghy on the canal trip?

We didn't even put the dinghy on the boat for the Erie Canal portion - researching it showed me it wasn't necessary. I thought we'd use it on the Trent-Severn, but again, not necessary. We keep our itinerary pretty loose, so always had the dinghy as an option. In places like the Pacific Northwest and Florida, where we anchored out more than marina stays, the dinghy was a must-have for our needs... the Erie, Hudson River, and Trent-Severn: always seemed to be able to find a city wall, lock outer wall, or handy marina.

For planning purposes: most of the towns along the Erie Canal had free or very inexpensive town walls to tie to; walls outside the locks were no charge to overnight. Showers were often available near the town walls. Some had electricity for free or an inexpensive charge.

The locks and city walls on the Trent-Severn all charged; no power, no water, but most had restrooms (with hot water). Unlike cruising in the PNW, absolutely NO pumping out in Canadian waters and marina pump-outs were pricey.

You don't have to provision heavily, because there are plenty of grocery and restaurant options near the canals.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, if something that's free, will be too crowded to enjoy? The web site for the free parks pass was crashed for three days due to the volume of requests. The lockage and moorage site hasn't gone active yet.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
ken35216

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Great Loop sounds boring Xmas LOL

"America's Great Loop is the longest, safest continuous navigable waterway in the World... You can boat over 6,000 miles and end up right where you started without ever making a U-turn. It also overs an additional 23,000 miles of connecting navigable inland rivers and waterways - just for your boating pleasure, and what an adventure it is!
Along the way, you will cruise North as near the Artic Circle as you will South near the Tropics of the Equator. You will cruise by: 59 Forts & Fortresses, 52 National Parks, past 48 Lighthouses, 46 Historical sites, to 42 of the top 50 vacation spots, 8 of the top 10 U.S. and 8 of the top 10 Canada travel destinations, thru 7 of the top 10 Retirement destinations, and through 22 or more U.S. States, past Civil War battlefields, Pirate Ship wrecks, and to 5 of the largest Flea Markets in the United States (if you're into that kind of thing)."
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thanks for the really nice write-up and pix in your album on the Trent. The possibility of some lakes and side areas to explore make it sound much more appealing.

You all are doing great, interest is building. Thanks for expanding my horizon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Cruising Canadian Waters in 2017 Reply with quote

Last cruising season there was controversy over our "porta-potties" being legal in Canadian waters. Does anyone know what laws or rules will be in force in the various Canadian locations this upcoming summer season?
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Great Lakes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/lake-erie-beauty?utm_term=.mw2x0E93b#.xmWXYxd7N
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
the mountains, deep fjords, and tiny hidden anchorages

Harvey, now you've got me wishing I could snap my fingers and be on the west coast sampling your waters! Razz I do understand your hesitance to tow across 2 countries for a 2 week cruise.

Chuck/Penny, Will C launched in Trenton last year - he may have a suggestion as to a launch site. One advantage to going both ways is you can mark places to stop on your return trip. On your return - after Labour day the lock hours are cut and also marina hours(for fuel, etc.) You will have your choice of moorings though.

Brent/Dixie and Colby, the locks are open mid May to mid Oct. They are busiest in July and Aug. and yes they probably will be busier than normal next summer during those months. Some locks more so than others. The Ports Cruising guide includes a chart showing the number of boats locked through each lock each month the previous year. This will give you an idea which locks are the busiest.

Jim, first picture on page 4 of my album - is that the same lock attendant you met in Peterborough?

Ken 35216, I've seen those pics before - they are amazing. They were taken in Port Stanley, not far from me on the hard - by water though a long way around the Longpoint Tip. Those pics capture the essence of Lake Erie - confused chop coming at you from every direction with no apparent reason. Confused

Casey/Mary, pm sent

Barry, email sent

Thanks for all the reply's - sounds like a lot of brats have a great summer lined up.

Regards, Rob
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, If that finger snap thing works, I’d be glad to show you around some fun, cool places. Unless you can work it to get me there when you come here, then we’re both screwed.

I cruised with Dave and his wife some last summer, from Powell River up to Princes Louisa, and with Chuck and Penny a couple of years ago after Friday Harbor, and over to Sidney. I have been reading notes here about cruising there, and the Trent-Severn and the Rideau Canals are beginning to sound more interesting. So I’m not excluding them from planning, but it might not happen this summer. Bummer, because I’d like to take advantage of the Canadian Anniversary bonuses, just have other things to consider as well. Guess I still have some (a lot of) planning and research to do.

Casey, thanks for the tips on the cruise plan:
“The T/S isn't a loop, so I suppose we'll end up exploring it up-then-back. Let's see, if we concentrate on stuff on the port side both ways we should see it all!

The Rideau will be sort of a loop if we follow the current north, then ride the locks (southbound) back to Kingston. ...unless we opt to do the whole mini-loop. “

Will continue the research. Thanks again Rob for the good album notes.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: