HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

transducer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanna-be

City/Region: crescent city
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: none
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: transducer Reply with quote

Off to another question...thankyou for all the help and advice you guys freely share....my new question what transducer is best for a c-dory for fishing in 500' thru-hull or transom mount? also KHZ
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 99% of the C Dory transducers are going to be transom mount. One reason is that most boats are trailered, and a transducer sticking thru the hull is not a great idea.--;plus it can cause turbulence in front of the motor.

Any thru hull in the c Dory should be either thru solid glass, or the core removed, for and inch around the hole, and this filled with thickened epoxy. This is to avoid compressing the core, as well as avoiding water intrusion into the core.

For the deeper (500 feet is in that category), I would suggest 50 Khz. Also you want at least 500 watts, 1000 watts is preferable.

CHIRP Even in the 120 to 200 Khz range can work down to around 600 feet.

Mounting a transom transducer is important. First you don't want to compromise the core of the transom, and you want to be able to adjust the transducer, if necessary, without drilling a bunch of holes.

I use a 3/4" thick piece of Starboard. ( HDPE ) I drill 2 holes in the block with a drill press, and countersink the surface for the 2 screws. I use this as a template to drill the two pilot holes in the transom--Then over drill the hole for the screw in the transom. I use a dremel tool to cut away the core around the hole by about 1/4 inch. Fill the entire area, with thickened epoxy (brush the core with unthickened epoxy first. (I use the same mix, put in the catalyzed epoxy, then thicken with cabosil and medium density filler. Let this kick off and then drill the pilot hole for the screws. I also dovetail cut the back of the starboard, and sand any paint off the area of the point of attachment of the HDPE block, smear with 5200 and set the screws. Then screw the transducer into the block.

Below are two transducers screwed into one HDPE block. One is conventional 50/200 Khz, the other is DownScan CHIRP--no interference.

There are also some kits sold with "magic" adhesive and blocks--never tried them--but I like belt and suspender system..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: