colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 22'. That's my first and only C-Dory, coming from a 21' pontoon and 26' SeaRay. I single-hand frequently, and tow it all over the place around here, including Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. On the trailer weighs in just shy of 5000 lbs fully loaded. Most SUV's can either pull 3500 lbs, which then makes this boat too heavy, or 5000 lbs, which puts it at the limit. (I have been using a 2010 Highlander which did a fine job. This past fall I bought a F150 and will start using that to tow with.) For me personally, I think the 16 and 19 would be too small. The 22 is perfect for my wife and I, or just me by myself. Colby
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to this good source of information on these incredible boats. I've had a 16 cruiser for 3 1/2 yrs now and i actually use my craft 300 to 400 hrs a year. This boat is effortless to trailer and launch primarily due to it's light weight. When I pilot this boat I can step to the center of the boat with my hand still on the weel and change the trim of the boat underway by moving my weight left to right just like sailing a nice dinghy. This boat is deceving because it has the amenities of a larger craft, how ever this light weight is a real trade off in big seas such as your home of Lake Superior, like the song says "Superior never gives up her Dead". The 16 is a one person boat, two people can stay over night if they are in love but after that its just two tight, I've done 3 weeks on mine alone with no problem even pretty bad weather. This is not a blue water boat even though I use mine like one. The 22 is your boat I say this because I've travled with another C Brat friend for a week and was on and off each boat every day. Love my 16 and dont care to replace my 16 I just know from hard experience the 16 is a single hand boat for sure. These boats move kind of quick so have your money ready, you'll also need an appropriate vehicle to tow this stable craft. You'll notice in the used boat section the bulk of the boats are 22's and the reason is couples using the boat. learn to use this system which is old and most all of your questions are answered here. Again welcome aboard we're all in the same boat Teeth
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to this good source of information on these incredible boats. I've had a 16 cruiser for 3 1/2 yrs now and i actually use my craft 300 to 400 hrs a year. This boat is effortless to trailer and launch primarily due to it's light weight. When I pilot this boat I can step to the center of the boat with my hand still on the weel and change the trim of the boat underway by moving my weight left to right just like sailing a nice dinghy. This boat is deceving because it has the amenities of a larger craft, how ever this light weight is a real trade off in big seas such as your home of Lake Superior, like the song says "Superior never gives up her Dead". The 16 is a one person boat, two people can stay over night if they are in love but after that its just two tight, I've done 3 weeks on mine alone with no problem even pretty bad weather. This is not a blue water boat even though I use mine like one. The 22 is your boat I say this because I've travled with another C Brat friend for a week and was on and off each boat every day. Love my 16 and dont care to replace my 16 I just know from hard experience the 16 is a single hand boat for sure. These boats move kind of quick so have your money ready, you'll also need an appropriate vehicle to tow this stable craft. You'll notice in the used boat section the bulk of the boats are 22's and the reason is couples using the boat. learn to use this system which is old and most all of your questions are answered here. Again welcome aboard we're all in the same boat Teeth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdr99 wrote:
I notice in the pictures of Aurelia, a 19, that it has a closed cabin. And the new models seem to have an open cabin? Is that something that has changed over the years?

I appreciate all this conversation, it's already been very helpful. And two folks who migrated from M15s to C-Dory, very interesting!

Bill

As Greg said, Their 19 had that aft bulkhead added by the original owner. It didn't come from the factory.

As to the M-15's, there are at least 4 represented here on C-BRATS, Wandering Sagebrush, Terry on RockC still has his I believe, minem and one other one I cannot remember now. Jim is right about the launching, the 22 is easier and in shallower water.

You will need a larger tow rig for the 19 or 22 than the M-15, but you will not regret the 22 over a 19. No difference there in single hand launching or navigating only cruising (space).

Enjoy your search and research. Anticipation and planning make it happen.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD 16 is perfect for anti-social people like me. Sorry, no room. Although I did spend two weeks last summer with my wife on board and she's already planning to do the same next summer, so it can't be all that bad. Broughtons or Lake Powell? Let's do both again!

If I need to take more people, I use my 14' sailboat. Sounds strange, but I've had 4 adults and two kids in my 14' PicNic Cat (only to go on a picnic) without a problem. Same beam as the CD 16 and much more stable. Tabernacle mast and gaff rigged cat makes towing and setup simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWhIwwvcwc

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wdr99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Awesome!

Although I currently own a Montgomery 15, my previous sailboat was a Picnic Cat. Great boat, huge cockpit, kind of a slug through a wake. We sailed that comfortably in the Apostle Islands even though it probably wasn't the best choice.

I see alot of similarities with the folks here, and I appreciate the comments about the CD16. I bet it would work pretty well for me, even though I'm not leaning towards it. I'm solitary by nature!

The big deal is the extra space for the occasional day trip guests, and for some elbow room for my wife and I.

Bill
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbow room IS a significant factor in enjoying a boat; and not just when single-handing.

CD-16 has 6'6" beam, 5' 6" of headroom.

CD-22 has 7'8" beam, 6'2" of headroom (more on the high-top version). The interior volume and comfort on the 22 will be WAY more than you'd imagine compared to the 16 or 19.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boils down to the 22 being a boat you can live on, for prolonged period of time....Although I have seen 16's cruising...it would be far more difficult.

Second is number of people. If never more than 2--the 16 would be OK

I would think that 4 on a 16, would be mighty tight!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contest, you will not regret a 22.
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: 22 on Lake Superior Reply with quote

We are former sailors (65 years) who joined the C-Dory family a few years back and also live on Lake Superior. Our 22 has served us well having taken us to Isle Royale three times along with cruises on Keweenaw Bay, Huron Bay, Apostle Islands and around the Keweenaw Peninsula. Last year we added 1500 miles to her bottom, not including highway miles.

We generally cruise at sailboat speed, but with the C-Dory when Lake Superior decides to show-off we can speedily head for safe harbor. We look forward to meeting you on the big lake.

Hank and Pat Clow
wdr99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hank,

I think you have precisely captured my scenario. We still like everything about sailing but I think we also are interested in some more flexibility. I get the sense that the 22 really positions a person to be right-sized.

p.s. we've passed through L'Anse many times, I believe we've eaten at a restaurant called the Hilltop(?) and stayed in a cabin up the shore a few miles. What a cool part of the lake.

Keweenaw might be our favorite, we've stayed in and around Copper Harbor several times, and it is continuously rewarding.

Bill
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: 16's Reply with quote

Hi,

I have experience with both the 16 Cruiser and Angler. The Angler is 2 people max unless you add seats. But what I like about the Cruiser is that the berth is open to the cabin, and a 3rd person can sit on the edge of the sleeping platform facing aft. By comparison, a 19' does not offer this. An additional benefit of this arrangement is that the 16C will ride better with this 3rd person provide more weight in closer to the bow. With that said, there is no seat back for this 3rd person, so it may not be comfortable for everyone, and may limit how long they want to be on the water.

Additionally, the PO added a rear bench seat to my 16C (which would also work on a 16A). I haven't used it... I think it would be fine at low speeds, but I also think the additional weight in the rear could be a problem for cruising(?)

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: 19 & 22 Seating Reply with quote

BTW,

Those who have experience with a 22Angler, is the berth open to the cabin? If so, does it work as a seating option like in the 16 cruiser?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 19 & 22 Seating Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
BTW,

Those who have experience with a 22Angler, is the berth open to the cabin? If so, does it work as a seating option like in the 16 cruiser?

The V-birth on the Angler is the same as the 22, access via the companionway, unless it has been modified. I don't think it would work like the 16, except there is no sitting with comfortable headheight.

Here is a photo of a 22 Cruiser and a 22 Angler side by side.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 19 & 22 Seating Reply with quote

The V-birth on the Angler is the same as the 22, access via the companionway, unless it has been modified. I don't think it would work like the 16, except there is no sitting with comfortable headheight.

Thanks Hardee!

So then, the 19A and 22A will both have the same companionway?

If so, they companionway hatch has both an open front AND an open top to them, right? If the top is also open, can someone sit there (facing aft?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: