NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Looping Reply with quote

I like riding long distances on motorcycles. I'm a member of the Iron Butt Association http://www.ironbutt.com/ which promotes long distance rides in relatively short periods of time: 1,000 miles in 24 hours, coast to coast in 50 hours, 48 states in 10 days etc. It's about the riding, vs experiencing any one area.

So I'm looking around on the interwebby thing and find the web site of America's Great Loop Cruisers Association. http://www.greatloop.org/ It looks like the Loop would be somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 miles, depending on route.

This guy did it in 57 days. http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/october/hurry.asp

Others take a year or two, stopping to smell the roses.

Using the middle, 6,000 miles, that would be an average of 1,000/month if you did it in 6 months.

Which then leads to the question of what can you experience at that rate?

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.advrider.com

Best site for big adventures on bikes.
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
www.advrider.com

Yeah, been a member there for the last 10 years. Very Happy
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
ken35216 wrote:
www.advrider.com

Yeah, been a member there for the last 10 years. Very Happy

I am Ken from the basement :hide
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I read that article when we were boat shopping. Everyone has their own way of doing things - doing the Loop in 57 days would be more like an endurance contest than a discovery cruise. But, the guy in that article did it the way he wanted (and in a pontoon boat), and was happy with how it went.

When we did the Erie Canal (spent 6 weeks on just that portion), we met a couple from Houston who had been out two years on their 65' boat (their aft sun deck had more square footage than our C-Dory) on their Loop adventure. Time in the Keys, several months in the Bahamas - they were enjoying every bit of the trip.

We also met people who were trying to cover it as fast as possible, going from New York City to Lake Erie in 4 days. I don't know if they were enjoying themselves; didn't have much time to visit. Wink

Before committing to a schedule, you might want to take a portion of the Loop (lots of people do it in segments) and see if you like it fast, or slow. Nothing stopping you from doing some of each.

Our style would be to enjoy exploring the towns along the way - no fixed schedule to be at the next marina or anchorage on a specific date. That wouldn't work for others. You may be going on a route that many others have cruised, but each boater gets to determine how their cruise will unfold.

The Great Loop is a dream for many boaters... do you want the dream to include seeing America, meeting local people, and all the side trips along the way... or, do you want to get it done and check it off the list?

What would you see in traveling the Loop as fast as possible? A lot of water, shoreline, and glimpses of the highlights. Only you can decide if that is enough.

For the record, Joan and I used to do cross-country motorcycle touring (I know you are aware of that, Bud), each on our own full-dress bike. We had some long days in the saddle on occasion, but we also enjoyed spending a few days in one place - the places we found interesting. We weren't looking for the shortest routes nor the routes that would give us the most "bonus" side trips or sleep bonus.

I wouldn't care to do an Iron Butt (we did do a 1000 in 1, once, just to do it - we were a lot younger then), but I don't diss those who like that kind of riding. We have been known to ride a great road... then turn around and ride it in the other direction, just because it was so much fun.

Come to think of it, we did that while cruising on the Trent-Severn Waterway - the Big Chute Railway was SO cool!

All that to say: what would you miss? From my perspective, a lot. If you were still on a sailboat, you wouldn't have any choice but to see it all at 6 knots or so (and some of it with the mast down)... but, with your C-Dory, you have options. Options are good. Cool

Jim
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud,
Sorry to get off track but I ride too. I never had a true ADV bike before but I did lots of multi day/multi state touring on my sportbike from the ages of 26-31. Now I don't have a street legal bike anymore and mainly ride the racetrack. You can see some of my racing photos in my album. I often toy around with the idea of buying a real sport touring bike and hitting the road again but will probably hold off on that for another year or 2. I really love the boating lifestyle now and I wanna do some long, multi day trips on my new 25.

It's good to have another fellow rider on C Brats! There's a few guys on here who ride. Nice diversification of hobbies!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the "goal" in "doing the loop"? Is it just to say you have done it--sort of a chic thing to do these days. I had lunch with Rudy and Jill Sanchez authors of "Anchoring: A Ground Tackler's Apprentice - Basics and Beyond". They have been going to many of the "Great Loop" and trawler meetings, promoting their book, giving lectures. Their comment is that the majority of loopers they meet are first time boaters, with little experience. They have heard that it is "cool" to have this adventure--buy a boat, and do the loop. Many don't complete it. Many sell the boat after the loop and go back to whatever was their pastime before. Many loopers he met at Joe Wheeler State Park Oct 17-20 had never anchored before!

The parts we have done, are mostly in trawlers --up to 12 knots or motor sailors, up to 7 knots. The C Dory has a lot of advantages: Speed when you want to get from town to town. Shoal draft, so you can get into places where others don't go,.

Our experience is that it is the people and places which give the interest of cruising--of any time. This is especially true for the "Great Loop". I think that
what Derrick from Australia found on his relatively fast 5 month trip this year:
blog.

Jonathan Arthur who has done the loop twice had a great idea to go fast between towns, and spend time in the small towns along the way, while the trawler speed boats were going 7 knots missing al of the towns. Second loop

Living right off the route of the loop, my advice is to take as much time as you can and visit, get to know the towns along the way. Meet the people--that is the most fun. All too often I see 'Loopers" who stay with the same boats for the entire loop, have cocktails together each night at marinas, and never really get to see America--which doing the "Loop" is all about!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back a couple of years or so ago, there was an article in a boating magazine about 2 college age girls, sisters i believe, who did the loop in a hurry. IIRC it was about 10 days, and it was in an aluminum skiff, shere they were doing 25+ knots and screaming through the locks, and didn't need to worry about bridge clearance. I believe it got them a record in Guiness, and a boat mag article, but i doubt they met more than a dozen folks along the way.

My thought--What was the point? To check it off some list, get an article deal or....? Their speed could be beaten with a real race boat if that was the goal, and as mentioned, they had little boating experience prior, and went on to other stuff right after.

Yup, you could do it fast, but why? For me that would be a chore. Mavbe not for you.

BTW, There is a motorcycle thread on the site. Quite a few of us ride. I even tossed around the idea of a CBGT group ride someplace. No Iron Butt endurance ride but a decent day trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's clear there are two ways to ride a bike and run a boat. Bud (and I hope Nancy) enjoy long fast rides and are considering the same with a boat.

On the flip side I enjoyed short fast rides on a bike, 100 mi in 3-4 hrs and long slow rides on a boat with Judy.

Both sides are doing it for enjoyment so both ways work. That's the only reason to ride a bike or run a boat. In my case part of the enjoyment in going (relatively) fast on a bike for a short time or stopping over on a boat each night was talking to the people doing the same thing. I certainly enjoyed being on the boat whilst moving, but talking to various people and stopping to see interesting stuff was a huge part of the experience for us. And the side trips were fantastic.

So the recommendation is to figure out what both of you want to do on the boat, slow or fast, whatever makes YOU happy, and then do it. If you're in Illinois, you probably can do it both ways.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of what Jim wrote. Coming from both motorhoming and now boating, I've had the opportunity to spend much time in some areas, but mostly see a lot of area with little time. For me and my family many times the limiting factor is time available. And I'd rather see as much as possible with the time I have. If I like some place, I can always try to go back later. But at least I saw it, even if it was just a "peek". Sort of like the drive out to get somewhere. The drive, or seeing the scenery, even at 60 mph, is still half the fun. If someone wants to do the loop, even at break neck speed you have the opportunity to see the scenery go flying by. And to some, that's enough. If you want to meet people, then take time to visit with those along your path. Different strokes for different folks as they say! Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the motorcycle thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17390&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=motorcycle+ride&start=0

Just to steer those interested in pursuing that topic, you can go there and keep this on on the "loop" info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a boating thread, or motor cycle thread?

Hardee posted:

Quote:
Back a couple of years or so ago, there was an article in a boating magazine about 2 college age girls, sisters i believe, who did the loop in a hurry. IIRC it was about 10 days, and it was in an aluminum skiff, shere they were doing 25+ knots and screaming through the locks, and didn't need to worry about bridge clearance. I believe it got them a record in Guiness, and a boat mag article, but i doubt they met more than a dozen folks along the way.

One of the times I have to disagree with Harvey:
Here is their complete blog. I think it is well worth reading for any looper. This was in 2009, and the skiff was 16 feet long.

The girls were 21 and 25, their dad runs (I believe owns) Duroboat--and they had a lot of experience with the boats and boating. The trip took 84 days for just a little under 6,000 miles. Not sure what record they set--certainly not the smallest or fastest. They did meet a lot of people, and saw a lot of scenery. Part of that was because of the fast speed of the boat between stops. In any case pretty impressive!

I have owned two Duroboats, and they are great aluminum skiffs. One feature is that they use no rivets in the bottom or sides except for the thwarts. There are extrusions that the sheets of aluminum are placed into with an adhesive at the chine, and keel, as well as the gunnel.
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, neither Nancy nor I intend to be Loopers.

I was interested in the concept and what motivated people to do it and the different styles of boating and types of boats that people used.

As sailors, we are used to slower speeds. We will be with the Trailer Sailor Association annual North Channel Cruise the last couple of weeks in July. They have "grandfathered" us in. Very Happy

We have met Loopers and Looper dreamers from time to time. I've always enjoyed the conversations.

Sorry that there was a slight hijack about bikes and I've checked out the "motorcycle" thread as was suggested.

As I get older, the enjoyment of long days diminishes while the desire to see different places remains. We will see how it all goes.

The bike and boat are parked for the winterbut we have plans for both in 2017. FL gathering early spring, Charlotte Harbor a few weeks later. A couple of motorcycle gatherings after that. Michigan with Willow in June with the family. North Channel in July, Maine in August, Mississippi River gathering in September. Then perhaps a couple of fall motorcycle gatherings in early fall.

We plan to keep going till we can't.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Bob. and thanks for disagreeing with me. I didn't have the memory down pat, and tried to find that info quickly but ran out of time. Glad you could come up with their blog and the correct info. I didn't think they were out that long, but 68 days makes more sense for sure. Still faster than I would want to spend on that much territory.

I was trying to keep this as a "loop" thread, so inserted the "motorcycle" post to redirect further MC interest that way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NancyandBud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the girl's blog:

"Katie
Thursday June 25 2009
Apalachicola FL
We stuck around Bay Point Marina most of the morning trying to figure out where to get our oil changed. They had a breakfast shop near by that catered to elderly folks looking for a cup of coffee or a social atmosphere to collaborate on crossword puzzles. We ordered egg sandwiches and started calling around to find a Suzuki dealership. We nursed our meals and our drinks as we blogged and made phone calls. A few hours later we had a plan . . . winging -it is harder than one would imagine.
Suzuki contacted Wefing's Marine in Apalachicola and arranged for a 100-hour service maintenance. Relieved to have a plan we head for Apalachicola, the last stop before our next major challenge - Florida's Big Bend.
We arrived in Apalachicola around 4pm. Following Mark, the owner of Wefing's, instructions, we docked at Scipio Marina and walked over to the Water Street Hotel. The three-bedroom condo suite was much classier than the three weather and sun burned patrons that came staggering into their lobby dripping with sweat. After hearing about our unusual journey from Mark, the women at the front desk agreed to give us a discounted stay. It was a deal we couldn't pass up, although admittedly still a splurge outside our budget. Our hotel room was actually several rooms - two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room, and a screened porch with a view of the river.
After cleaning up, we all walked over to a restaurant called Up The Creek to meet Mark and his wife Anita for drinks and oysters on the half shell. I did my best to enjoy the local fare, but I'm told raw oysters are an acquired taste - I'm two oysters closer.

Mark gave us an evening tour of the town. We were pleased to see that everything was in walking distance from our hotel and there were several stores, restaurants, and some nightlife options for tomorrow night."

Once again Marc goes the extra mile! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: