The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bought a new windlass recently?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Bought a new windlass recently? Reply with quote

My Horizon 600 is giving up the ghost, and I have been looking at both the Lewmar Pro-Series H700 and the Lewmar Pro Fish 700FF. But each gets some fairly dismal reviews. Like this one:

A West Marine customer wrote:
Not reliable. The case halves are not gasketed, they are just glued together with gobs of white caulking. Same with the power wires where they enter the bottom of the case. Just gobs of caulking inside the case to seal the holes that the power wires pass through.

This is not a design that can withstand the elements in my opinion. Mine has failed numerous times within the warranty period due to case leaks and gear failures. Even though I have been very gentle with it, it continues to disappoint.

I am now replacing it even though it is still under warranty.

I can't trust it and to me that's a safety issue.

There doesn’t seem to be any way of telling when the negative reviews were written. Maybe--is this wishful thinking?--they are very old and the problems have been addressed.

Andy Ryan

NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I just bought a Lewmar Pro Series 700 H from Hodges Marine for $744.

One or two negatives don't bother me if the overwhelming responses are positive.

Seems to be a pretty popular choice here. Do a search. Lots of posts.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Pandion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price--much better than WM.

In my initial search, before I posted, I found the Lewmars got 2.5 stars out of 5 in 16 reviews on the WM site, and 1 star out of five in 6 reviews on Amazon. I'll grant you, that's not a very meaningful sample, but with more reviewers panning the windlass than liking it, it gives me pause. If you have found a site with more positive feedback, please point me to it.

I'm not trying to find fault with the Lewmar--just looking for useful data from people who have owned one for a while. Maybe my topic should have been, "How are you liking your Lewmar 700?"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 3 of the Lewmar 700, and no problem. Granted, I try and take care of them. When I was running a lot in Salt water, I kept a cover on the windlass, unless I was going to use it. But I did this with Maxwell and Ideal windlasses which I have had on larger boats also.

If you don't abuse the windlass, they will work fine for small boats. Too many people don't wash them off after each use in salt water, Use the windlass to pull the boat to the anchor and then use the windlass to break the anchor out. Also many use the windlass as a cleat to hold the weight of the rode. The windlass is not designed for this type of abuse.

You do have to service and grease the clutches of any windlass. You need to keep salt water off the motors (more of a problem in the vertical axis windlass).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pandion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Several of the negative reviews I read complained about the way the unit is sealed, e.g., "just glued together with gobs of white caulking." Do you think there could be any validity to that--or is their unhappiness more likely the result of poor maintenance?
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the windlass on my current boat about 4 years ago, and the unit was well sealed.

I cannot comment on any windlass newer than that.
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Maxwell that the previous owner installed right before I took possession, works great. One of the reasons he may have chose it was that it mainly covered the hole from the last one installed,something to consider.

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
Pandion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
I just bought a Lewmar Pro Series 700 H from Hodges Marine for $744.

I wonder if the $115 extra I would pay for the same unit at Fisheries Supply would be worth the peace of mind of buying local?
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the Maxwell. It's only a few more bucks at e-bay & Defender, but the reviews I've seen are more positive. A lot of teeth gnashing & fussing can we worth quite a few bucks, but we only seem to figure that in hind-sight. I recently made a mistake trying to order a tender & had to send it back. Shipping both ways wasted $250. Local sourcing sure looks good after that.
Chuck

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chuck, and I often will pay a reasonable amount more, to have a local, face/person to deal with. Admittedly, Seattle isn't exactly local from Sequim, but I went to Fisheries for my anchor last summer, and when I decided it would not work on my boat, I was able to take it back and exchange it with NO HASSLE escept for the trip across the water and through the traffic.

As to the windlass question. I did not buy one recently, but I was impressed with the response I had from Quick, when I was considering new rode and chain last spring. I would not count theme out, but have not looked at pricing. Could be purchased "local" (Seattle).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked on both the Maxwell HRC-8 and Lewmar 700 windlasses. I have owned one Maxwell and 2 of the Lewmars.

The Maxwell was set in a rode locker (semi-protected) and the Lewmars were out front on a C-Dory. The Maxwell lasted the 10 years we owned the boat and we used it a lot. It was free-fall The Lewmars were vertical and the first (a 600) lasted for 4-5 years and was replaced by a 700.

Based on that, there are 2 recommendations. First, the Maxwell HRC-8 is a free-fall winch which lets the anchor fall with gravity and only pulls the anchor up. I often wished for a 2-way (up and down) which the Lewmars have. Second, or longevity on a C-Dory, buy horizontal, which everyone is doing.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get a Maxwell be sure that you have the correct chain gypsy for the c Dory size boat, which would be 1/4" chain, and 1/2" rope rode. There are 3 sizes 6,7 & 8 mm for the chain.

I have only used vertical axis Maxwell, with both the capstan and chain gypsy. As with any vertical, be sure that you have adequate "fall" for the rope and chain, as well as keeping the windlass motor dry. I used a Sunbrella cover over the windlass when not anchored or in the process of anchoring. I also have over 5 feet of fall in the chain locker, in much larger boats--but the windlass served me very well for many hundreds nights of anchoring...
Pandion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears wrote:
I've been wondering about the Maxwell.

Oh great. A new wrinkle. I had just about decided to bite on the Lewmar ... fortunately, I have three or four months to make this weighty purchasing decision.

The Maxwell HRC FF Rope Chain Horizontal Windlass is $1,046 at Fisheries Supply. Exactly the same price at Defender. $185 more than the price of the Lewmar 700 at Fisheries (which costs more at Defender).

I agree with Chuck and Harvey on the value of the teeth-gnashing prevention fee charged by local dealers. Now I have some due diligence to do on the Maxwell. It sounds somewhat promising, although -- even before reading Boris' remarks -- I had been shying away from the free-fall feature of the Lewmar Profish. It looks as though the Maxwell will accept a rode of BBB chain and 3-strand 1/2-inch line, which is what I have.

What will partially decide the issue for me is the ease of replacing the Horizon 600 with either unit. The Lewmar is a near match and requires drilling only one extra hole. Does anyone know what kind of jiggering replacing the Horizon with the Maxwell will require?
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: windlass Reply with quote

Never a peep of problems with a Lewmar Sprint 600 over 9 years on the Regal 26, or with current Lewmar 700 2009 model on the 255 now 7 years old.
Defender never has free shipping.
Happy Shopping!
John

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the installation manual, with Template--double check to see if this is the same as A PDF file.

This is the newer installation manual, but no template: A PDF file
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: