The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Broughtons Summer of 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Broughtons Summer of 2017 Reply with quote

Just received an email from George and Gail at Port Harvey Marine Resort and they said Capn Charlie will be there for July 1, Canada Day. For those of you who know his music, you will know it would be a fun time to be there, For those of you who don’t, check him out here:

http://www.capncharlie.com/suciasunset.html

It's good cruising music and it’s at a pretty friendly place, Port Harvey Marine Resort,
Blog is here: http://portharvey.blogspot.com/

Facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/Port-Harvey-Marine-Resort-292924097388624/

Port Harvey is one of the first stops on the way up into the Broughtons, and a good place to hang out when Johnstone Strait is blowing up. It is also a hop skip and a jump from a launch in either Campbell River or just up the strait at Telegraph Cove.

It might not be too early to start looking at scheduling where and when you will be in the Broughtons for summer of 2017.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey...mentioning Port Harvey....

I see what you did there.... Wink Laughing

In all seriousness, it's on our cruising bucket-list, along with Alaska...but we are still slaves to the 9-5 and I'm up for promotion. If/when I get it, my life will be filled with nothing but work for a few more years. Crying or Very sad

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We visited the Broughtons again last summer so won't be back so soon, but I am planning to do a trip into the Quadra Island area launching from Campbell River so it's not out of reach! I led a kayaking trip though The Octopus islands, Hole in the Wall rapids, Okisollo rapids, and Surge Narrows rapids last year and enjoyed the scenery of the area so much that I would like to give it another go by C-dory. I am figuring about 5-7 days in late July or August but we may try to tie into a CBGT BC gathering when those details emerge.

The weather was challenging at the time but the bottom fishing was great and the water clarity was the best I have seen on the inside.

https://goo.gl/photos/r6LV6Cb13vEWYX6o6

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
We visited the Broughtons again last summer so won't be back so soon, but I am planning to do a trip into the Quadra Island area launching from Campbell River so it's not out of reach! I led a kayaking trip though The Octopus islands, Hole in the Wall rapids, Okisollo rapids, and Surge Narrows rapids last year and enjoyed the scenery of the area so much that I would like to give it another go by C-dory. I am figuring about 5-7 days in late July or August but we may try to tie into a CBGT BC gathering when those details emerge.

The weather was challenging at the time but the bottom fishing was great and the water clarity was the best I have seen on the inside.

https://goo.gl/photos/r6LV6Cb13vEWYX6o6

Greg

Greg, Sure hope I didn't go by and not wave. I saw a ton of kayakers up there last summer, and was in some of those same places. Yup, it is a beautiful area.

I went through White Beach Pass one morning in 50 to 150 foot visability, and found a kayak flotilla on the radar. The group leader had a radar reflector up. Smart lady. She was also checking with Vessel Traffic for clearance across Blackfish Sound.

Don't forget to send off a support message. It's for the good of the boating community.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Harvey...mentioning Port Harvey....

I see what you did there.... Wink Laughing

In all seriousness, it's on our cruising bucket-list, along with Alaska...but we are still slaves to the 9-5 and I'm up for promotion. If/when I get it, my life will be filled with nothing but work for a few more years. Crying or Very sad

Mark,

Hope that promotion comes through, you deserve that, a big raise in pay, and 110% support 24/7 and to be home every night.

As to making it up to PH, it can be done from home in one day. Up early, drive to Tswassen Ferry, get their oversize special fare to Duke Point, Nanaimo, then drive an hour north to Campbell River, launch and head to East Cracroft Island. ETA about 2 hours on the water. You'd be there in time to order pizza for supper. Oh, don't forget to keep your eyes open for the Orca in the area of Robson Bight.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from the Seattle Boat Show 2017 and had a nice visit with George and Gail from Port Harvey Marine Resort. Great to get to see them there, and hear the good news -- the barge is rehabed, the menu is set and it looks to be a good year at their dock and restaurant.

Great plans for the coming season. July 1 is Canada Day and they have a super fireworks show. Along with the traditional free supper, they are talking of adding breakfast to that too. There will be a concert from Capn Charlie on the dock and he will also be (and I confirmed this with Pierre from Echo Bay) at Echo Bay for the 4th of July.

Still not set for sure on Broughton plans for the coming season, but it is looking like I should be there for the concert(s).

There may be some other high points in the Broughtons as well. Post any here, and let's put C-Dory's on the map up north. I know Dave will be back at Pierre's with his C-Dory in June, and look forward to seeing him there again.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Do you use email during the summer? If you do, you can send me your preferred email address by PM. I can then let you know when we are on our way with tentative arrival dates.

Larry H
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Good to see you at the SBS. Thanks for the offer and for the good chat.

I have not been very successful with email while I was up there. Mostly no connectivity. Where I did have connection, (about 10 nights out of the whole trip), I did try to check the email, but I don't live by that. I can send you some more info via PM.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

serenitymay1995

City/Region: Cumberland
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Gumption
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Broughtons 2017 Reply with quote

Greg, make sure you get in touch when you are up here this summer as you are in our back yard. We will tow the 16 up and take aven fishing! Should be a huge Fraser River pink year and the discovery island area is certainly the spot to find them
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, ditto on the promotion! I hope you get it, and the time to get out for extended cruises now and then.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked with the BC Ferry service and the "Size UP the Savings" promotion is not out yet for 2017. No guarantees but just have to check their site occasionally.

BC Ferry Home Page: http://www.bcferries.com/

Then look for the "Promotions" button. Look there for oversize, RV or Trailer reduced rate info. It is usually specific to days, dates and times of day.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: The Broughtons Reply with quote

The Broughtons. It's a long trip there, but we love it. We're still looking for that summer heat wave like our first trip there 6 years ago. Smile

We make a point of spending some time at each of the little marinas. Some are a little short on amenities, but the people more than make up for it.Thumbs Up

Sorry to loose Shawl Bay. Sad

It will be interesting to see how that plays out and what the new people will be like at Lagoon Cove. Wink
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Jack. Good to see you here, and up there last summer. Hope we can meet up somewhere there again. You have the only robin egg blue C-Dory I have seen. What happen to Shawl Bay?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re:Shawl Bay Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

Lauren sold Shawl Bay and the word is, the new owner is going to turn it into a fish camp. We'll miss the pancake breakfasts and they were one of the few places with tannin free water.

We haven't been to a Boat Show in years, so l'm glad to hear George has the restaurant barge back together. It was a little drafty eating dinner last year in the tent.

Did you miss that wind storm around the end of August last year ? It blew right into Lagoon Cove and we spent two nights bouncing off of the dock before we could get out of there. I had to put the Pocket Yacht behind the dock. It was better later at Port Harvey. The wind blew right over the top of us.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

Yes it was good to see George and Gail at the SBS. Sound like it is coming to together pretty nice up there. I really hope to be there for Canada Day.

I was at Alert Bay on the public dock there, on my way to go get Bannock at Duchess's, for breakfast. That wind came up pretty fast, and we had 3-4 foot waves at the dock. I helped several local boats off the dock, and then I got off and went into the AB Marina. Spent 3 nights tied up next to an old 40 foot fishing boat that had the bilge pumps running 24/7. That was about all the space they had left.

They had 3 other C-Dorys there during that blow.

It worked out, I got to meet Alexandra Morton there, so it was all good.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: