View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Lefers

City/Region: St.charles
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bobcat
Photos: Jim Lefers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Cumberland River trip Reply with quote

Just completed a great Cumberland River trip with my 25',twin 90 Honda's . Trailered from St. Charles,Mo. To Granville Marina in Tennessee and launched and cruised upstream to Celina ,Tn. which is as far as the corps maintains a channel .Started very slowly down the 380 mile River with the dory running at 1600-1900 , 6-9 mph depending on current burning on average about 3-3.5 mpg. I had a prop shop near my home port tweak a pair of 13.5-15p props to almost a 17" p ,I was shooting to go 'faster' slower. Instead of 1800 rpm 7 mph ,I wanted to keep the speed but drop rpm. It sort of worked but it's too much wheel for the engines at top rpm, but seemed to work starting down the Cumberland . Got caught one day as hurricane 'Cindy ' came inland and produced some pretty rough short storms,but other than that had great weather. I was gonna pull the boat out just a short way up the Ohio River at Golconda Marina in Illinois but decided on a longer cruise and so at Barkley lake crossed over thru the canal connecting the Tennessee and taking the Tennessee down to the Ohio ,then down (47 miles) to the Mississippi and up the Mississippi 224 miles to my home port on the Mississippi @ umr224 . Did just short of 700 miles,98 hours on engines . Knowing the current is strong on the lower Mississippi I switched the tweaked props back to a pair of13.5-15 props for the hard push up. Ran 3600-3800 going 10- 14 mph and dropping fuel to 1.8-2.1 mpg . Wife had obligations at home so this was just me and I have to be honest,not having her & the dog made for a easier cruise, no planned dog potty stops and a 25' dory with just one person and gear is pretty roomy! Put the boat on its hoist and then drove back to Granville to retrieve the truck and trailer and it's all just a great memory now. Time to dream about the next trip........Jim
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip! I had to abort a Tenn River trip a couple of years ago but still planning to do it in the future. If you have any tips it sure would be appreciated.

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Jim Lefers

City/Region: St.charles
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bobcat
Photos: Jim Lefers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd,sorry for my delay in responding ,I'm sort of old and out of it with the new internet stuff. Ok you want to run the Tennessee ,get a Quimpys book that shows all the marina's ,the river is so used that gas and facilities are available easy. Get a current corps chart, have a marine radio, and it's a great trip. Some of the lakes are big and busy ( avoid weekend travel) but it's really just a laid back great cruise. Look into Jerry M.Hay guidebook on the Tennessee published by inland waterways ,Floyd knobs ,Indiana. I've got his books on the upper Mississippi ,Tennessee, Cumberland and the Illinois River and he always has neat info on stuff as you travel. . I'm getting ready to travel the Illinois up to the lake and maybe do some lake travel. I just serviced my twin 90's and having new water pumps and seals on the lower units and am just so anticipating a river cruise . I love my Dory. From UMR 225 on the Mississippi ,out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: