The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Equiping a C-Dory for Lake Powell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarobi

City/Region: NE
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Equiping a C-Dory for Lake Powell Reply with quote

I'm hoping to buy a 22 Cruiser in the near future and wondered how I need to equip it for a Powell trip. Besides Powell I'd like to explore mostly inland lakes and rivers.

I've been lurking here for a while and have really enjoyed reading about everyone's adventures in their C-Dory's.
Thanks! For the great site.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
There is a lot of information on the threads about the Lake Powell Gatherings in the past few years. Photos, anchoring techniques, what the area is like.

I suspect I could write a book on it, and we have only been there a little over dozen or so times--some of the C Brats many more than that.

First you need a good bow anchor--and I would say at least 200 feet of rode/chain. Two stern anchors--I use Fortress or Guadian 6 to 7#. I use 3/8 or 5/16" line there. Also several lengths of chain to take around rocks in some places for the stern. Some folks use sand spikes. Many make "rat/mouse" guards. We often use the--fresbees with a hole in the center, which can be slipped over the stern lines. Some claim rats get aboard, with, some have never had a rat. We have never had a rat on the boat--but see them at night, and occasionally see one crawl under a chair into the shade!

Shade--We use a Noah's Tarp.

Good cooler or refrigeration/freezer --see threads on these. We have spent a month on the lake. Only supplies we have had to go to get, was fuel and fresh water (could have boiled or filtered)--trash--could have burned--but still have to take plastics/metal/glass to be recycled.

Probably a kicker--no Sea Tow.

Understand that Verizon phone works somewheres on the lake--usually when in view of Navajo Mountain's towers. A T & T--not so well. Messages better than phones.

Fans--We use either a "endless Breeze"/Vantastic 3 speed 12 volt fan over the forward hatch, or a Ryobi 18 volt battery portable fan.
Also fans in each aft corner of the V berth--so each person can adjust the amount of "cooling" they want.

Map--Stan Jones Map. I also like lake contour maps.

Book: Boater's Guide to Lake Powell

Fishing: Plastic worms/crawfish, 8# line, spinning reel. Or various shiny/spinner baits.

Clothing: Swim suit, light weight, sun protection long sleeve shirt and long pants, broad brim hat, bandana,

Camera & Binoculars. (to see the # of buoys and the features/buoy of canyons.)

Off hand, I don't think of any thing else that one does not use elsewhere.

We have Garmin Electronics, with the Western Lake maps--but those are pre-loaded. Navionics has I pad charts, I also use.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to Bobs comments that you need a bimini cover over the back of the boat. Nice to have shade. BUT, it needs to have 2 (two) zippers next to the cabin, one on each side of the boat and they must UN-zip inwards - towards the center of the boat. That way you can stand on the step and stick you head and shoulders to see over the cabin and look up at the cliffs overhead when in the slot canyons. I have a "rocket launcher" radar arch which is great to hang onto when taking the great photos. We took more than 1,000 images on our last two week long visit.

Regarding anchors, I think Bob is suggesting a stern tie, where you drop the anchor and back towards shore (hopefully a sandy beach). Just before the prop hits cut the motor and raise it. Then as the boat drifts the final few feet you step ashore, take a stern line and tie to something. Then tighten the anchor line to pull you out enough that you don't "grind" the boat on rocks from wakes/ waves. Watch also so you don't damage your trim tabs and transducer.

We carry one of those RV 12 inch folding steps to provide a step to make stepping over the transom easy. I built a bridge over the motor-well which can get wet and slick. Just three steps from the cockpit to the motor-well bridge to the swim step and then you are on the beach.

Chuck

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Bob and Chuck said, a generator (1000 watt) or solar to keep the batteries up on non travel days. More important if you have a compressor refrigerator onboard. Lots of line and stakes that hold in sand to keep your tarp from sailing across the pond. A misting battery powered fan for each person is nice, too.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few comments so far are nice options. Bare bones, all you need is the boat and typical required safety equipment! I do not have a cockpit cover (I'd like one, but my wife likes the sun). As she says, that's what the cabin is for. I do not have a refrigerator, but I did have a nice 100 qt cooler that we kept getting ice for every few days. I have a single 115hp main, and a kicker for backup. But the kicker is just additional insurance. Wink A good anchor should always be on board, and two is even nicer. I did Lake Powell two years ago, and usually threw an anchor off the bow, then backed in towards shore, tying stern lines to trees or rocks. On nice sandy shores, we just bowed in and tied off both the port and starboard stern to trees on shore. Because of all the canyons, cell phone reception isn't real great. And VHF is line of site. I did have a 12vt fan in the berth that made the nights more bearable. I do most my boating in the Midwest on inland Lakes and Rivers, including the Great Lakes. I do have radar and two GPS Chart plotters. Didn't really use the Radar in Lake Powell, and one GPS would have sufficed. I did have the Stan Jones charts which were very helpful. Oh, I also had my Honda generator along, but I would have survived without it. FWIW, Stan Jones mapped most of Lake Powell using a small open boat with a single small engine. Period! Equip the boat to the gill if you want lots of comfort. But again, you can enjoy Lake Powell with a basic C-Dory, and common sense! (Just like any other inland lake or river!) Colby
jarobi

City/Region: NE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the quick responses and helpful info. All my boating has been day trips on inboards to wakeboard or wakesurf, so this will be a new adventure; I hope a 69 year old dog can learn some new tricks. Very Happy

Keep the advice coming.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stern Bimini is nice, (and I really like the permeant cantilevered covers), but many of the slot canyons, it is nice to have the top of the cockpit cover off, to look up to the top of those many hundred foot walls in the slot canyons.

Pieces of canvas or towels to place on each side or end of the cockpit when the sun is shining thru. Also window coverings to keep sun out of cabin. We use the large spring clamps to keep shades in the cockpit in place.

Ice--Ice is the worse ice I have ever bought. Seems like granular ice compressed into cubs, and does not keep as well as many other suppliers of ice. It is available at Dangling Rope Marina, which is about half way between Wahweep and Bullfrog.
We used one of the "super coolers", which was supposed to keep ice for a week--about 3 days is what we got. We kept the top of the cooler covered with a wet white heavy towel to get evaporative cooling effect, and tried to keep it in the shade.

This is why we went to a freezer and cooler compressor driven. (Now have a combo unit of freezer and refer). For this we made a second insulated shell out of reflective foam board, and also used the damp white towels.

As Steve noted, a generator to keep the batteries topped off, plus we used a dedicated 30 amp charger (portable marine) to keep out batteries charged when running the refer/freezer.--all of this is not essential.

Since we carry a "Action Packer" type of plastic chest for some of the food, and implements plus the reefer/freezer or ice chest, we use these as "steps" (and as seats) in the cockpits to the stern or back side.

You cannot always find a tree (real trees are very scarce) to tie that stern anchor to, You can always create a "Dead man"--bury sticks, or rocks and put the anchor chain around those--or put the anchor behind rocks etc.

Marie likes to light up our two stern anchors (one on each side) at night, with cheap solar lights. We usually anchor in shoal l enough water that we can either step off the boat to dry sand, (rock) or get a few rocks and make a step, to keep the feet dry.

In clothing, I should add light gloves or and thing sun block socks, even with sandals. Really watch for sunburn--very high UV light effects, with altitude, water reflection, and very clear sky. We usually wear sandals, most of the time, but a good pair of hiking shoes is a great addition. We use "Keens" for both--and are a good compromise, unless you are doing some serious rock climbing.

We also enjoy both a dinghy (for some side trips and excursions)--in our world, we either use a 3.5 hp kicker, or an electric Torqeedo outboard to power the dinghy. We have dog/dogs, so when anchored out (rare) we use the dinghy for getting the dog ashore.

"pool toys"--I don't usually suggest these for boats--but some inflatable lounger, pool noodle, etc makes a great recliner in the water!

Shovel and axe. We carry a German war surplus (better than the imitation "GI" shovels, and the genuine "army surplus" shoves) Ours has a pick as well as shovel, and one edge some what sharpened to chop. Shovel for dog waste (buried way back from shore line and at least 12" deep)

But we also carry a small hatchet. This we used to pound in stakes. (Also Home Depot has some huge sand stakes for the shade). Also axe occasionally used for chopping wood.

Chairs--folding chairs --We have one with a built in side table, and a small folding table for sun setters, day lounging, camp fire, star gazing etc...

Sunshower--if you want warm water. Generally the lake is warm enough to swim in from June thru Oct.

Storms: Lake Powell is subject to violent thunder storms. They are spectacular, and not to be missed. Some come with wind up over 50 knots--and that is why you want good ground tackle. We had our dinghy blown onto the top of the roof from the water (didn't go over because of ties on bow and stern.

Flash floods: Storms can bring heavy rains, and the slot canyons became very dangerous. Also look before you anchor that you are not in an area where debris piles up. that there is no "balanced rock" overhead (a couple killed a few years back by a rock falling on their boat). Be sure that there is no "waterfall" slot above where you anchor--these dry washes can be huge waterfalls in minutes.

When hiking be very aware of storms even miles away--that storm 10 miles away, may drain into a slot canyon, and you could be trapped. Alway know a way out. We tend to also carry a rescue rope of some fashions when hiking.

Water bottles--again if hiking, we usually have a fanny pack or back pack with extra water and first aid kit.

Medical: There are fatalities each year at Powell. Drowning is probably top of list--Falls, heart attacks, and Carbon monoxide poisoning are also high risks. We have seen CO poisoning with a C Dory where the generator was run in the cockpit.
Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are also high on the list.
Help: Get to place where you can either get good marine VHF coverage, or cell phone coverage. (Also a 2 meter repeater on Navajo Mountain, if you are a ham.
The park brochure gives an emergency number--dial 911--that gets you to local Search and rescue, the Park Rangers, and a chopper. Another reason to have a dingy, to get out of a canyon--and to show the ranger where your boat is located, if you cannot move the victim by boat. We have seen tragedy on the water, all of the way up to the top of the canyon rim. If you cannot get cell phone, try instant message on the Verizon phone--I don't know if the 911 ops get this or not--but it might be a life saver, as you try and make contact. We were involved in a chopper rescue a couple of years back, and moving as little as 20 feet would give us adequate phone voice coverage, vs no communication. There is also a channel 16 repeater, but you have to get to a place where it works--and usually the phone will work there;

* even if you cannot get park service on VHF and "MayDay" on channel 16 and/or DSC, will alert nearby boaters, and often there will be someone who has medical skills/supplies, plus boats can relay by VHF or phone to emergency services.
This is real wilderness, so be prepared.

We like the San Juan arm--and back there you may only have yourself if you go back far enough--same with many canyons, so a good first aid kit, plus try to get emergency services thru phone and VHF, even if you don't get a response at first.

A last ditch effort--and I have seen this used on several occasions--is to signal aircraft--either a signal mirror --S O S. Some outfitters carry an aircraft frequency portable transceiver and put out a MayDay on 121.5 Mhz.

Last ditch is a Personal Locator beacon. We carry these when ever we are in isolated areas. They work exactly the same as an EPRIB. 405MHz to a satellite. Satellite link to an international SAR center. Then case sent to US and nearest SAR center, as well as checking the profile on the registration, and checking with the contacts, to be sure that it is not a false alarm.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge amount of great information so far. I would temper some of it a bit with the following recommendation. Pack light. You won't need many clothes changes as you will be in temperate water during 9 months of the year. Second, keep the cooking really simple. Susan and I now only carry stuff that doesn't need cooking. Even at that, we overload on food.

Most important contribution I can make to you is to make your first trip to Powell out of Wahweep where you have good services in Page, AZ. Also, don't get carried away with any long trips that take you away for several nights. Spend a couple of days on day cruises-there is plenty to see at Powell during day cruises. Then, get out there fairly close, and do one overnighter. Easing into big lake cruising is a good idea. Powell can be an animal that eats boats, worse, it can scare you to the point that you don't want to ever come back. Don't let that happen to you. Your first Powell trip will be memorable for only good stuff if you keep it simple that first time.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Lake Powell, we carry a Fortress as a spare and stern anchor. There are a number of nifty places that are shallow enough but too skinny to anchor with enough swing room around us. West Canyon comes to mind.

So we get out the stern anchor and anchor fore and aft. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but as long as winds are reasonable, with a silt bottom maybe 20 feet deep or less, it's not too tricky.

Have the stern anchor ready to go. Anchor at the bow first, let out enough of extra rode to accommodate the amount you'll need for the stern anchor, and back away. Drop the stern anchor, move forward enough to set it, position yourself midway between the two anchors, tighten up enough you can't swing into the side wall, and voila.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: