The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 Suzuki DF140 RPM Racing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie, you say you're going to skip the relay because you only anchor a few times in a year. Consider that either switch ( the manual or the relay) has to pass all the current that the windlass motor demands. So either over a short period of time or when the anchor gets stuck, the manual switch contacts will disintegrate since they're not sized for the load and you're faced with pulling the anchor up by hand. The factory used only the manual switch on Journey On and it failed at a most inopportune time. And you have a Tomcat, which is heavier that a C-25 and would dig in the anchor deeper.

It doesn't take much time to wire in the relay and it offers a large amount of insurance. You can wire it with a larger wire size while you're at it. I certainly was glad I did it.

Lewmar added the relay for the 700 for a reason. And BTW they redesigned the 600 to a 700 because the capstan seal failed. You might go along with their changes.

Boris
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris - It really comes down to time. Since I rarely anchor, I really don't want to spend the time and money on this fix. The previous switched worked for 10 years. I hope to get that again...if not, I'll probably just upgrade the whole system.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Westie!
Agree with others a 255 prop CAN be changed out in a slip, but it's a MUCH higher risk maneuver than doing it in the driveway. Checking for a possible, as opposed to definitely, spun hub is a prop shop job for burly props like ours. Cheaper to buy a new one.
I favor aluminum 4 blade props (always the outlier) and just paid Accu-Prop $140 to spec and smooth both (each SOLAS was only $121 brand new from iboats.com including free delivery). I'm not convinced the SS is worth the rather marginal performance delta (1-2 MPH WOT) vs the downsides for the F150 (idle prop rattle, shift clunks etc).
Regarding bilge water, there are a lot of potential spots for rain to enter. Expect the fish boxes to be two 'enclosed plumbing systems' where any rain, fish ice, etc is plumbed to separate macerator pumps which output up high on the sides through an upper loop (to prevent any siphon action). Fishbox water can't leave except through those pumps and only when they are energized. Some owners have put float switches in the fishboxes wired to the respective macerator pump. Some cruisers/non-fishpersons like us simply disconnect the fishbox drain at the pump (not at the fishbox, which is very hard to access and therefore hard to to un-do). This allows all fishbox contents to drain directly into the bilge without backing up into the fishboxes. Then the bilge pumps for each sponson pump it out when the bilge pump float switch detects 3/4 inch depth (this is fine for rainwater, but not for fish blood/guts etc).
You can easily replace a float switch.
Many 255 owners have found that for whatever reasons, rainwater prefers equally to go into the fishboxes before exiting out the corner scuppers, even with a bimini.
On a day when your neck is feeling especially flexible, trace all the plumbing from the fishboxes and bilge pumps to get a good feel re how your boat was rigged/has been changed.
There will be a test question to ID all 8 water pumps (not including engines) on a typical 255 whenever you're ready. They all have a 12 month warranty because their Maker designed them that way. One happy exception is the Rule Gold series 5 year warranty bilge pumps...highly recommended.
Happy investigating!
John

Westie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - thanks for the insight!
Westie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally replaced the switch and it's the same...I have power incoming and no power gong to the winlass motor. I checked the resistance in the switch is connecting properly.
If the motor was bad, wouldn't I still see voltage going to it at the switch?
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw
1. start at fuse panel. check voltage for the windlass wire, record voltage.

2. go to windlass switch. with switch off, check voltage at the switch (power side), record voltage

3. with switch on, check voltage on windlass side and power side

could be bad fuse, bad wires, bad switch, etc

BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also inspect wiring from fuse panel to windlass for chafing, poor crimps and wire splicing
Westie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB - there is a fuse behind my Captains chair. I believe it is 50amp. It blew when I installed the new switch because I forget the anchor is hard wired. This makes me think the wires from the fuse to the switch is good.

I can't read any voltage at the motor. My crew thinks the motor is the issue but I think I should see voltage in the wire leading to the motor.
BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Do you have a clamp on meter

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok if switch has been replaced and tested with DVM digital volt meter then it could be the wiring, poor crimps, someone repaired a wire with splicing in a new wire and or poor crimps or the windlass. I mentioned the clamp on DVM and ammeter. It is handy bc it clamps on the wires and measures the current along with other features I just bought one from Sears on sale for $45. It may or may not help you troubleshoot. Bad crimps is another problem. It would help to know if the windlass is getting juice. Sorry I cant help more without seeing how it is wired and getting the entire wire line from battery to windlass and if properly grounded. Post update. probably something simple like the wire inside the windlass was disconnected and the solenoid if it has one is stuck. LOL good luck
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with installing a relay and now have corded or cordless remote control and having it properly fused with a circuit breaker
Westie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brent - I'll work on debugging the motor. I have lots of travel coming up but I'll update when I can get back to the slip.

Really appreciate your insights! Thank you - hope you have a great holiday!
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck and Merry Christmas!
Westie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. I had a mechanic on the boat yesterday and he found the relay in the battery box, starboard side that was totally corroded. He jumped it a boom - power! He gave me a good lesson in cleaning up my electric connections....something I'm ashamed to say has gone forgotten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: