The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar arch high enough for dingy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Radar arch high enough for dingy Reply with quote

to store on cabin top.

Our radar is currently mounted on the cabin top. I want to hear from anyone who installed or who has a boat, that has a taller radar arch installed that will allow an inflatable dingy to store underneath on a rack. Also the mfg, if you know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We indirectly "won" a tall radar arch at the old factory parties they used to host around the Seattle Boat Show way back in 2007. Long story short, Barry of C-Cakes won the radar arch but I was perceptive enough to realize he already had one installed on C-Cakes so I asked him about it and we made a very fair trade.

I installed the arch in the spring of 2007 and our Alaska Series dinghy fit under it perfectly like the two were mated to each other. The installation is not hard, it just was a little painful to drill the holes in the roof which happened to be cored on ours but other than that, easy breezy. Just be sure to slather enough bedding compound between the radar feet and the roof to prevent any leakage. I figured that out the hard way. Hope this helps.

Peter
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Thanks for the response and pictures. Just what I wanted to see.

BTW do you have any idea about the distance between the cabin top and the bottom of the arch? I called Bolton Stainless and they wanted specific distances to give me a quote.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be working on the boat this weekend. I'll take measurements for you.

Peter
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Laughing
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having called some mfg's, I now have more questions than answers.

We don't plan on using Willow as a fishing boat, but I'm wondering, just for resale value, if I should also have some rod holders added to the arch. In addition, they asked about antenna mounting plates. Do I want/need more than one???

Anything else I should consider before I order an arch?

Advantage to forward to aft mounting of the arch?

As always, I appreciate the forum members here who take the time to answer.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a dingy fit under the standard factory radar arch on a 25 Cruiser?
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: roof stuff Reply with quote

Bud
Re C-Dory rooftop stuff:
Your HARD LIMIT is a 13.5 ft vertical ground max hgt on the trailer...the Federal limit for bridges, power lines over roads etc though any bridge may be less, if marked.
Within that parameter some will want a Coleman type RV AC (14")…this should be forward enough that the front vent blows down towards the v-berth, which is forward for all of us.
Loudhailer/auto-foghorn must be mounted forward of everything else.
All-around white nav light must be above everything else in all conditions and visible at 2 NM but can be anywhere between front and rear.

Radar can NOT have any GPS antenna in the beam, but VHF antennas and transmitting AIS are usually OK despite Garmin's warnings. Radar can shoot through most dinghy’s except aluminum plates and some transoms, or mount radar on an arch over dinghy. Many bimini’s including mine are actually higher than the roof line and are not designed for the weight of a dinghy, so take that into account.
Radar mount may need a rear wedge if you run at a 4-5 degree bow up at cruise like many do, others may argue they only use radar at idle if conditions are so poor as to need radar in the first place, during which bow rise angle will be zero. Radar has to be higher than the AC (but the scanner beam is at about the logo level, not the base, so the base mount can be lower than the AC as in Bob Austin’s TC255 album pics).
I am facing this as Eileen just bought a Garmin GMR-24HDX radar which I plan to mount on a Bob Austin Special PVC Commode Mount and home-made Starboard base in front of the AC (which is at 12 foot already, and clearance issues require the bottom mount to be above the AC so I’m getting real close to the 13.5’ hgt limit).
We’re fair weather boaters but have still been surprised when local conditions result in saltwater spray soaking the roof of the TomCat. Don’t put anything up there (like a Honda generator) that wouldn’t enjoy that.
If in addition to everything else you decide to put the family dog up there while cruising, then history would suggest that you should not plan on running for President.
Perhaps this is not an issue for you.
That’s all I can think of offhand re roof ‘stuff’ issues, but I’m sure there’s a lot I haven’t thought of, so all Brats please pipe up!
PS: Who needs a dinghy when I can wiggle this thing into calf-deep water at the shoreline or a dock with a couple inches clearance on each side?
Happy Boating!
John

Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Radar Arch high enough for Dinghy Reply with quote

We have an aft mounted arch similar to the photos in this thread from Jazzmaniac. It was made in Seattle area by a company that EQ Harbor Services uses. You could call Kathy at EQ and I am sure she would supply the name and number for the company that builds these for them.

I have bolt on rod holders as that was less expensive than building them in. West Marine has a thanksgiving sale that has these for 1/2 price for a few days around the holiday.

We slide our dinghy under the arch and that works well for us.

The arch also has a platform for the radar unit and places for two antenna (we have two VHF units and each has an antennae on the arch). The anchor light post also sits right behind the radar unit.

Sorry, no pictures in the album and I am not near to boat to take any. Hope this helps.
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: roof stuff Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Bud
Re C-Dory rooftop stuff:
Your HARD LIMIT is a 13.5 ft vertical ground max hgt on the trailer...the Federal limit for bridges, power lines over roads etc though any bridge may be less, if marked.
Within that parameter some will want a Coleman type RV AC (14")…this should be forward enough that the front vent blows down towards the v-berth, which is forward for all of us.
Loudhailer/auto-foghorn must be mounted forward of everything else.
All-around white nav light must be above everything else in all conditions and visible at 2 NM but can be anywhere between front and rear.

Radar can NOT have any GPS antenna in the beam, but VHF antennas and transmitting AIS are usually OK despite Garmin's warnings. Radar can shoot through most dinghy’s except aluminum plates and some transoms, or mount radar on an arch over dinghy. Many bimini’s including mine are actually higher than the roof line and are not designed for the weight of a dinghy, so take that into account.
Radar mount may need a rear wedge if you run at a 4-5 degree bow up at cruise like many do, others may argue they only use radar at idle if conditions are so poor as to need radar in the first place, during which bow rise angle will be zero. Radar has to be higher than the AC (but the scanner beam is at about the logo level, not the base, so the base mount can be lower than the AC as in Bob Austin’s TC255 album pics).
I am facing this as Eileen just bought a Garmin GMR-24HDX radar which I plan to mount on a Bob Austin Special PVC Commode Mount and home-made Starboard base in front of the AC (which is at 12 foot already, and clearance issues require the bottom mount to be above the AC so I’m getting real close to the 13.5’ hgt limit).
We’re fair weather boaters but have still been surprised when local conditions result in saltwater spray soaking the roof of the TomCat. Don’t put anything up there (like a Honda generator) that wouldn’t enjoy that.
If in addition to everything else you decide to put the family dog up there while cruising, then history would suggest that you should not plan on running for President.
Perhaps this is not an issue for you.
That’s all I can think of offhand re roof ‘stuff’ issues, but I’m sure there’s a lot I haven’t thought of, so all Brats please pipe up!
PS: Who needs a dinghy when I can wiggle this thing into calf-deep water at the shoreline or a dock with a couple inches clearance on each side?
Happy Boating!
John

John,

Thanks for all the info. I was unaware of the federal height limit. Something to consider for sure.

We have spent a lot of time in the North Channel. We usually spend time with others from the Trailer Sailor Association. We anchor out. If we want to play dingy bingo, we need a dingy. If we want to visit some of our friends on their boats we need a dingy.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to understand that John is deprived. He boats in waters like the Gulf where there is maybe one tide of a foot a day or less...he does not have the challenges of the 25 foot tides of the PNW!

Even on the St. John's river, (no tide in the upper reaches)--We find the dinghy to be a great platform for bird watching--and keeping the snakes and other critters off the boat, if we were to do Lake Powell style of boating... (Although earlier this year Molly Brown did the "stern to the back thing, with their "Dog Plank"..We went with the dinghy! ) Confused

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Radar arch vs fwd mount Reply with quote

Hi guys,

As some of you know my 23 venture package is being built at the moment. I did not opt for the radar arch at this point due to dollars spent already but am pondering the benefits. Here are my questions:

If I simply go with a forward radar flush (shimmed) mount on the cab "maybe" I can get the factory since they are building it and this boat comes with the dropped ceiling and vinyl to mount it for me (I'm visiting the factory Friday I could bring the stuff with me) the thought here would be that I would not need to take the ceiling down to install it after it arrives. Either way wether they are willing or not could I still mount a 8-9ft dingy with a forward radar?

As to the radar arch - doesn't the dingy interfere with the radar when mounted on the arch? it would based on angles seem like it would... i am not a fisherman other than occasional trolling, other than looking cool and sliding the dingy under the arch what additional benefit does it provide?

Last but not least if the inflatable dinghy doesn't interfere with the radar then it would seem I could have the nose of the dinghy above the radar too if flush mounted? I dunno just split balling here. This will be my first radar and thus do not know the details of how sensistive they are etc.

Any advice would be great. If I have to I can add the radar arch but need to know the dollars justify the benefit.

PS the radar I bought is the new quantum radar from raymarine. Not sure if it matters (never realized how large these things are)

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a single post mount for my radar...and I am a bit sorry...it wears a hole in any tarp I put on the boat... plus it will not fit into my garage any more... so I am bummed about that.... I would love an arch...being able to put a kayak or an inflatable topside would sure be a plus....I do like having the radar up high is a plus but an arch would have been much better...

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 23 is going to be slightly different than the 22. I have usually mounted by radar on a short pedestal. The dinghy is not a problem with the radar. If you have an aluminum plate where the dinghy motor clamps that is the only potential issue.

The high arch will allow the dinghy to slide under the arch, and gives a slightly better place to carry the dinghy.

We have had both radar and dinghies on all of our C Dorys. My son has a 10' dinghy on his 25 roof, along with radar. A picture of our current 22, with a 9'6" dinghy on top. I could have mounted the strut "reversed" or made a platform for it further forward, but with some over hand over the cockpit it works find (the inflatable is a high pressure air floor, which I consider to be the best compromise between weight, ease of assembly and stability/performance.

My strut has a rake aft, it could have been mounted so that the rake was forward. In this case the radar is above the dinghy, but I have had radar which were lower.
This radar has a 3* down slant wedge. However I have never mounted a radar flush on the cabin top on a C Dory.

The factory should be able to accommodate you---give them a call and find out. Possible that they could put the cable in with out the radar, but you would still have to pull the headliner to bolt the base or strut in place. I moved the anchor light to a fitting which attaches to the radar strut, and puts the anchor light above and aft of the radar. (The small tubing, or even a sailboat mast, does not interfere with the radar function.)
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Radar arch vs fwd mount Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:

Either way wether they are willing or not could I still mount a 8-9ft dingy with a forward radar?

In my opinion, it would be a pain in the rear to try to get an 8-9 ft dinghy on your roof behind a forward-mounted radar. Unless you have a lifting davit like Dr. Bob has. If you have a rear-mounted high arch you can stand on the bow deck and v-berth roof and horse the dinghy up onto the roof and under the arch.

Not sure who supplies arches to the factory now. Tanner Manufacturing in Bellingham made mine. They come to your boat and take very precise measurements for a custom fit, and make the arch to your exact specifications.

I would suggest you determine what dinghy you'll be carrying, so you'll know the diameter of the pontoons for your arch spec's. I'd also suggest you have the factory install the arch and specify that the holes and bedding be done properly.

My arch has the plate for the radome, two antenna plates, and an anchor light post.

jd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: