HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ceramic Heater on full-time through Winter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Ceramic Heater on full-time through Winter Reply with quote

I mentioned previously that we will be keeping C-Dancer on the trailer here in Seattle throughout the winter and probably beyond. The main reason is to allow me to do projects from fall through spring without having to drive 2 hours. We have access to electricity and water so I think it will work out great.

I bought a small ceramic electric heater from West Marine to keep the cabin warm and dry in the winter. It has several safety features (see below) but for some reason, I'm a little uneasy about having a heater run all winter.

My question: Do you feel safe running a small electric ceramic heater in your cabin all winter?

Description of: Comfort Zone Oscillating Ceramic Heater/Fan

"Keep your comfort level at an optimum with this portable oscillating heater/fan. It features a four-position rotary dial to adjust the settings, adjustable thermostat, oscillation option, safety tip-over switch, safety overheat protection system, stay cool body with molded handle, power indicator light, and a 6' power cord."

Watts: 750/1500
BTUs: 5120
Amps: 12.5
HZ: 60HZ
Volts: 120
Dimensions: 5"L x 6"W x 10 3/4"H

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the boat be covered or in an enclosed space?
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat will be outside on the trailer but will probably have a tarp covering the whole boat or possibly an Angola cover. You know, trying to keep all the rain we get in Seattle off the boat as much as possible.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Ceramic Heater on full-time through Winter Reply with quote

We have used the same electric heater on our boats since 2009. Our boat spends most of the winter in the driveway covered before we slide down to the Fl. keys in Feb. We keep power to the boat via shore power while running the battery charger. We just keep the heater plugged into an outlet inside the cabin. I have a small LED night light on a slide window so I know I still have power to the boat that we can see even though the winter cover. We had / have winter covers covering this and our previous boat while running a heater. The heater was made by Honeywell was less than 30 dollars. It has tip over protection and have infinite temp adjustability. The model escapes me but it is round and a dark grey color. We bought it in 2009 just before doing the Erie canal when we heard the temps were going into the 40's before we ever hit the canal. Never had any surprises like mold or mildew developing. It's still going strong. I probably just jinxed it. If it somehow it shorts out I'm sure a circuit breaker would trip. I'd rather have a heater running than not. You could put the heater on a timer if you were not comfortable leaving run constantly. Our heater cycles on and off responding to the temp setting.
D.D.

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dave, your post contained a wealth of information. Our boat is on shore power hooked up to a battery charger and CFGI outlet. It seems to be set up with the appropriate safety features. A timer is a great idea. I'm feeling much better about the safety of running this heater. Thanks!

Peter
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
I do not have a ceramic heater but a small oscillating heater with temp and fan settings. It cuts out when temp is reached but the fan and oscillating movement continues. I run it on a very low heat setting. Also cuts out if knocked over. It sits on the floor under the table. I have all the cupboard doors and bins open where possible. I also have a second heater that gives out the warmth of a light bulb in the v-berth. Just a bit more back-up.
Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both ceramic and oil filled heaters thru the years. My current preference is an oil filled heater: DeLonghi oil filled 500/700/1200 watt heater, with timer, GFRI, and thermostat built in. Darn those have gone up in price, I paid about $35 each for mine 7 or 8 years ago! But used them every year in the RV and boat. One feature I like is that when the temp goes down below 44 degrees (or can be set) the heater comes on low. The oil filled heater is less likely to cause a fire--I know that ceramic heaters are safer than the electric coil type--but I have seen shorts in them and fires. I find that setting the heater on 500 or 700 watts is plenty in the C Gory.

During the cruising season (includes the winter here) we use one of the ceramic heaters, and on 600 watts, it is plenty to keep the cabin comfortable.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Camframo boat heater. Made especially for the marine environment. We have run it for 7+ years now in the winter on low on the floor in our boats. Boat is parked in the yard under the tarp.
We have the same set up you will have with boat plugged into shore power, battery charger switched on.

Works great for us.

Here's what we have:

https://www.amazon.com/AMRC-9206CA-BBX-True-North-Cabin-Heater/dp/B00NZJT7N4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1478917525&sr=8-10&keywords=caframo+boat+heater

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bob on the oil filled heaters. They even radiate some nice heat, which is nice on a cold day. I'm suspect any you buy will be fine. My trouble with any of the cheap ones is the thermostat not really being accurate at all and coming on all almost always, which isn't needed.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my boat stored on it's trailer during the winter, here in Wisconsin. It has a full cover. Last year I plugged the charger in a few days each month. This winter I'm going to try keeping it plugged in all the time, along with a small fan running. (No heater. A small one wouldn't do much good in our cold winters anyway.) I also have several jars of the dryer stuff as well. I do have a webasto heater on the boat, that I run a short time monthly, per it's instructions just to keep it lubricated. Colby
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you have nothing to worry about running a small ceramic heater inside your boat on the trailer, we have done that for years. Oil filled is great but there is nothing wrong with a ceramic heater either. No need to worry, really.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a given but all cushions, rode, lines, food, clothing, etc -basically strip out items and open drawers and cabinet doors along with removing water and a good cleaning of all surfaces would a good idea. Air circulation is just as important as heat to control mold and mildew.
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I feel safe with those ceramic heaters. We have two of them onboard over the winter. One in the cabin and one in the bilge to keep the water tank and plumbing from possibly freezing. We use the boat through the winter when the weather allows us to get out so winterizing the water system would not be convenient. When the two heaters are running at the same time we can only use the 750 watt output setting on each or the circuit breaker will pop. It is still plenty of heat. I also use Dri-Z- Air pellets in the cabin to help remove excess dampness.
They are good little heaters and last for many years. One of ours is at least 15 years old running around the clock all winter.
Cheers, Tom

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be cautious about: The wiring in the boats. My boat, my son's 25, a friend's 22 all had plain 2 wire "zip" cord, #16 wire, extension cords involved in their "110 V System". No fuse, no proper inlet, no GFRI. All of these had the end of the cord in the bilge! These boats all had trickle chargers wired in and permanently attached to the battery, with no switch. I have seen household type of Romex (solid wire) with wire nuts---again a no no !

Needless to say, I removed these systems, and put in a proper inlet, (out of the weather), #10 or #12, marine, tinned stranded, 3 strand, with vinyl sheath wiring, with a circuit breaker, and proper outlets out of the bilge.

The system I use, is considerably cheaper than the "factory" installed with large panel, etc. However, it is safe. The #10 wire, is from the inlet to the fuse and switch box. #12 to the outlets. All wiring is supported as per ABYC.. Proper terminals are placed on the ends of the wire to the outlets,
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information guys. Now I feel totally comfortable leaving the unit on. The fact that it has the thermostat, shut-off feature, tip over feature plus all of your recommendations have convinced me. Plus I'll be visiting the boat frequently doing my projects to check on things.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: