The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Adding a sink to the 25 head
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Adding a sink to the 25 head Reply with quote

I can't find the thread and pics of the guy who added a small sink to the 25 head.

Can anyone else find it??

THANKS!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason
We just "wash" our hands with baby wipes then if we need to wash more the sink is only 3 feet away. Keep it simple!

Have fun.....Tom Laughing

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason
We put a sink in the head on our Tomcat and I think it is the same size as the 25 so it should be no problem. For us it works great, does not get in the way and gives us a place to put things while cleaning up in the morning.

We use our boat primarily for cruising and really like the idea of not spitting tooth past or washing our hands in the galley sink which is invariably filled with dirty dishes.

It is pretty straight forward build.
-Make a corner counter from the material of your choice for the forward starboard corner.
-Run your drain line through the bulkhead and T it into the galley sink drain or run it to the shower drain if you don't want to drill a hole.
-T you faucet to the fresh water toilet flush supply or through the bulkhead to the shower supply. We only used a single cold water faucet since we are usually out but you can use both. You can get single cold water faucets for $33 from Fisheries supply or find one used.

Ok...now for the hard part...finding a small sink can be a challenge. We gave up and got ours at Goodwill for $3. We ended up making our sink from a heavy duty stainless steel mixing bowel. Cut a hole in the bottom and add a drain. It not only looks better than the galley sink because it is shiny stainless steel vs brushed but it work perfectly and waste very little water.

If someone can tell me how to add a photo to the post or if I can get a photo album I will post some pictures.

Have fun.

OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I was able to add a photo album "OffLeash" and posted some pictures of some of the upgrades we did on our Tomcat. One is of the sink and it should give you some idea of how easy it is. Let me know if you have more questions.
Have fun with your winter projects
Mike
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just use the "Image address" by copying that from the album.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiromi and Mike,
the sink ($3, wow!) looks great and very useful.

Jay
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
Jason
We just "wash" our hands with baby wipes then if we need to wash more the sink is only 3 feet away. Keep it simple!

Have fun.....Tom Laughing

Tom,
I personally didn't care too much about the lack of a sink in the head BUT a certain female "friend" of mine mentioned that it would be nice to have one SO I caved! But now that I think about it, it would be nice to have a wash basin in there (it is a bathroom after all).

Last edited by South of Heaven on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike (Offleash): Thanks so much! The sink looks great and appears to take up very little real estate. I can't wait to start sourcing the parts and add this mod to my winter task list (which is becoming HUGE!).

Cheers man.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on one's size, and propensity to use the shower, would be a factor in determining if a sink should be put into these already small heads.

I felt that the showering in the C Dory 25 was marginal for someone my size. We rarely used the shower--preferring to use the marina showers. Tooth paste split into the head.

I would not suggest putting the sink drain into the shower sump. Generally I have found shower sumps to be a problem area. On several boats we have plumbed the shower drain directly to a diaphragm type of bilge pump, with a course screen strainer before in line. This got away from the residual water/material left in a shower sump.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Depending on one's size, and propensity to use the shower, would be a factor in determining if a sink should be put into these already small heads.

I felt that the showering in the C Dory 25 was marginal for someone my size. We rarely used the shower--preferring to use the marina showers. Tooth paste split into the head.

I would not suggest putting the sink drain into the shower sump. Generally I have found shower sumps to be a problem area. On several boats we have plumbed the shower drain directly to a diaphragm type of bilge pump, with a course screen strainer before in line. This got away from the residual water/material left in a shower sump.

Bob,
I'll be using the shower quite a bit next year; although if given the opportunity to use a marina shower while at a transient slip then I'd use the marina's facilities.

I used the shower once this year (I've only had the boat since late August). It is tight in there but was doable for me and I'm 6 feet/185 lbs. I don't think the corner location of Offleash's sink would get in the way of using the shower. But I would try and make the corner piece as small as possible and even source a smaller sink. There's no argument from me about the size of the 25 head; it's small! But I'm still willing to give up some precious real estate to "complete" the bathroom.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sink would be a waste of space. Another way to waste precious fresh water, and in the way when showering. Spit the tooth paste into the head, or overboard. If you wash it down the drain that's where it will be anyway.

We've used the boat for 11 years now and never wished for a sink in the head.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We considered adding a little sink to our 25 head as well but just could not find the space. I was planning to build a small unit that would fold upward against the wall when not in use and it just didn't pan out to be important enough. That pic is a Tomcat I believe, which has more space in the head than a 25, so what looks reasonable for the tomcat does not fit the same on your boat. If you or your lady friend have used the head as a shower, imagine a space that you didn't need to get through the event. Like Bob, I did find it roomy enough to share with much. Most of the dead space in the head is down at floor level.

Good luck and make some cardboard test versions.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, save yourself the hassle of the all those winter projects and get a Ranger 27, which has a sink in the head. Still a couple of months left in 2016 to make it 4 boats in one year, LOL!

-Mike

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
We considered adding a little sink to our 25 head as well but just could not find the space. I was planning to build a small unit that would fold upward against the wall when not in use and it just didn't pan out to be important enough. That pic is a Tomcat I believe, which has more space in the head than a 25, so what looks reasonable for the tomcat does not fit the same on your boat. If you or your lady friend have used the head as a shower, imagine a space that you didn't need to get through the event. Like Bob, I did find it roomy enough to share with much. Most of the dead space in the head is down at floor level.

Good luck and make some cardboard test versions.

Thanks Greg.

Greg
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Jason, save yourself the hassle of the all those winter projects and get a Ranger 27, which has a sink in the head. Still a couple of months left in 2016 to make it 4 boats in one year, LOL!

-Mike

Mike, good one! I needed that laugh this morning! The 25 will at least last me until the end of this decade...But in 2020 then I'll be thinking about my next, bigger boat. Lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: