View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: National Luna Twin 60 Freezer Fridge Reply with quote

Just picked up a National Luna Twin 60 Freezer Fridge for a Four Wheel Camper that I have on order. I plan on using it in the C-Dory as well. This one is an inch wider and an inch taller and 5 inches longer than my Engel Mt-45. I had the Engel under the table. The new one needs to be mounted on a slide in the same spot. I ran my first test at 72 degrees ambient temp and the fridge was empty. I did this to get a bench mark. Ran it for 24 hours on a Oddesey Extreme group 31 and used a Victron 700 for the monitor. It used 17 amps for a average of .708 amps per hour. The next test will be to load both compartments wait for it to cycle and see what the next 24 hours bring.

Specifications

Item #3115
External Dimensions 30"L x 17"W x 21"H, 35.94" H with lid raised
Actual Volume Right Bin: 36.87 quart (40L) Left Bin: 25.57quart (20L)
Weight 62 lbs
Materials Rigidized 430 stainless steel exterior, smooth aluminum interior
Insulation 40mm thick, high density foam injected
Baskets Divided Freezer compartment with lid, 5 food grade plastic baskets included
Color Silver
Compressor Danfoss BD35F
Power supply 12 / 24V DC, 120V AC standard
Power consumption draw* 12V - 2.5 Amps average running current
Power Consumption range* 1.53 - 2.6 amp/hour average power draw
Average power consumption is measured in a controlled environment with specific thermostat settings. Actual power consumptions may vary considerably with ambient temperature, thermostat settings and frequency of use. Power consumption will increase during periods of surplus available power (Turbo mode)
Shipping Dims. 33"L x 20"W x 23"H

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Jody... A nice unit!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, Wow-very low current draw. Sounds great!
how are you going to load the unit?

I would like to do similar tests to compare the Whytner 62 quart dual chamber to the better National Luna 60 quart unit.l

Are you going to use one side as a freezer and the other as refer? (This is the way we will probably use it on our boat). My rough calculation is that we used almost twice that power during each day, on the Miss. River trip--But we were opening at least one side 10 times a day, and putting in soft drinks and beer to cool.

In the past, I have used alcohol/water combinations to bring the freezing temperature below 32 degrees in some of my studies on the Dometic CF 50 chests.

I have just been using the Kill-o-watt for total consumption (110 V AC)--but can use the cheap 12 Volt meter to measure amp hours or watt hours with a 12 volt power supply (may be slightly different, since I probably will be at 13.5 volts or so with the power supply vs 12.2 to 12.6 volts with the battery...)

My guess is that the National Luna will be more efficient--and will have better life span.

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jody, Wow-very low current draw. Sounds great!
how are you going to load the unit?

I will probably put a bag of ice in the freezer and load the fridge with water and soda. I will run it on ac until it starts to cycle and then switch to 12 volts and run it there for at least 24 hours. I know it won't account for opening and closing the lid. I'm want the test to very controlled so I can see if I will need more battery of not. It looks like the difference in these is how good the insulation is in them and maybe some to do with the electronics and how they handle that.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your power draw is great. It's 1/2 of the spec average draw which is (see above) 1.53 - 2.6 amp/hour average power draw. The spec is typical just for heat leakage and would be higher if you opened the unit a lot, such as to remove beer. For the 17 hours, empty, it's the cool down load and the heat leakage from the outside.

I'd check those measurements, though your calculations are correct.

Boris
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Your power draw is great. It's 1/2 of the spec average draw which is (see above) 1.53 - 2.6 amp/hour average power draw. The spec is typical just for heat leakage and would be higher if you opened the unit a lot, such as to remove beer. For the 17 hours, empty, it's the cool down load and the heat leakage from the outside.

Boris

I'm using a Victron BMV-700 to take my readings when the compressor is running I'm reading 2.55 amps. So it looks like I am getting good numbers so now it's down to ambient temperature and how good it is insulated. It's in the house at 72 degrees and not in the sun. I loaded the fridge with water and ice and am running it on ac till it cycles. Then I will connect it to the battery and let it go. I am doing this to get a good comparison to see what the best conditions would be. I know when it goes for a ride in the boat the numbers will not be as good. Typically I can load enough in the fridge to last for the trip so I won't add in warm things to it. Some day I hope I will be out so long that I will have to do that.
jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fridge loaded with water and ice. Ran it for 27 hours and it used 16.7 amps. So the average for this run was .619 amps per hour. The distributor told me I should see better numbers with the fridge loaded. Now I just need to wait for warm weather to see what it does. I don't think I will need a second battery.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, This looks really nice, we'll built and efficient. Good choice. Keep up the updates. I'm not ready yet, but looks like you are putting together a nice package. Thanks for sharing the info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon Embarrased

jkidd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Boris

Boris has a good point so I did one more test I took a Goal Zero Light a Life and ran it for 12.5 hours. It used 5 amps off of the battery calculates to .4 amps per hour. The Victron's amp reading for the light was .41 amps. So it looks like the Victron is pretty close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: