View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Angola Canvas Kudos Reply with quote

So I purchased a cover from Angola Canvas about 6 years ago. It was high quality and and fit perfect. Also the was price was very reasonable, about $850.00. The stitching finally started to disintegrate after being in the hot California sun for 6 years. I went to get an estimate for a re-stitching of the complete cover, a small hole patch and a one foot extension to the transom area of the cover. I was quoted over $600.00 from a local place at the Channel Islands Marina. Anyhow I talked to Angola and decided I could save a little money by sending it back to them. Just got the bill for the job. A whopping $75.00 +$30.00 shipping. Unbelievable the difference in price!! I highly recommend them for a C-Dory cover. I am pretty sure they have most of the C-Dory patterns, and I love my cover from them.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

It always pays to shop around!

Sometimes shops and stores in affluent areas expect you to just pay up regardless of any cost difference they may be asking.

With the internet, shopping around can be a rewarding adventure!

How about a physical/mailing address, phone number, and internet address for Angola?

Thataway Bob would have probably suggested you have them re-stich the canvas with Tenara thread, because it holds up so much longer. Was it done or suggested to you? (I understand it costs a bit more, but is well worth it.)

Good boating!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have been very happy with our Angola cover. I am not sure if they use Tenera.

That is a bargain for $75.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up. I purchased a cover from Angola many years ago and recently mailed that cover to them as a pattern for a new cover. This year the experience is different.
I had to call to find out if they had received the cover I mailed and the pictures of changes on my boat I emailed. They had to look then found the box and opened it to confirm it was mine. They gave me an estimate of when they could start on it.
I called back a few weeks later and they had not started yet. Another couple weeks and I was told they might ship by the end of the week. I called the next week and again was told may ship by the end of the week. The last time I called (week and a half ago) they said they were still figuring out the changes I wanted and maybe another week. I have still not heard anything from them.

I don't remember being strung along like this the last time. If they could just tell me it would take 2 months and then make it happen that would be better than just keep telling me maybe the end of the week.

Anyone else have this kind of service with Angola?
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a cover from them last fall. Their email communications were sporadic and slow, with a lot of misfires and dropped balls. But every time I picked up the phone and called them, they answered quickly and were great to talk to.

Like a lot of companies, they were severely understaffed and hurting from materials shortages. Sounded like a lot of nights and weekends for the skeleton crew. It took them longer than promised to make and ship my cover, but they did an excellent job.
skagerrak

City/Region: WASHINGTON
State or Province: DC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Morning Dory
Photos: Morning Dory
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful to hear, I was really starting to wonder.

I guess it's still an issue: it's well over a month now and I still can't even get an actual quote from them, I have no idea how long this is going to take to even get one, maybe not by winter even? It goes a week with no reply and then I have to send another email or call. I'm trying to not be a pest recognizing how overwhelmed they probably are. And this thread helped confirm I should just continue being patient with them.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had them make my cover there was a bit of back and forth and phone tag. At the time it seemed that there was one person I had to talk to about a C-Dory cover and he could be hard to get a hold of. In the end they made the cover the way I wanted and it has held up well.
Catskinner

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Dock Holiday
Photos: Dock Holiday
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Angola Canvas Reply with quote

I ordered a cover from them at the end of May. They quoted me $1700. On June 3 I gave them a $200 deposit and was told it would be 2 to 4 weeks to complete. After four weeks I started calling for an update and was told next Friday almost every week for three months.
I went on an Alaskan cruise and when I was able to get signal I checked my Citi Card balance and saw that there was a charge for $2247 from Angola Canvas. No discussion of any up charge was ever had between Angola Canvas and myself. Never got a tracking number or anything. The cover finally arrived on September 26. Two days later I tried the cover on. It was nowhere near a good fit. It was terrible actually. Mind you they told me they had a pattern and I had sent them every dimension they asked for as well as several pictures of the boat.
There was no invoice or explanation of additional charges. So I disputed it on my credit card. The cover was an absolute mess.
I have now negotiated with them and paid them $1000 which covers their material plus a little bit and I’m now going to take it to King Marine Canvas to have it tailored to fit the boat properly. I would most definitely not recommend Angola Canvas.
kcassal

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Slug
Photos: Sea Slug
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a sunbrella cover for my C-Dory 22 and it was perfect. My Venture 26 came with a Aqualon cover that the PO bought. It doesn't fit very well. I think that they just don't have the pattern for a Venture 26 at this time. ?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I ordered a sunbrella cover for my C-Dory 22 and it was perfect. My Venture 26 came with a Aqualon cover that the PO bought. It doesn't fit very well. I think that they just don't have the pattern for a Venture 26 at this time. ?

I was kind of wondering that as well. I did send them a quote request for my 25, just to see what they charge. I do have a local guy that does great work, and when I'm ready to get a new custom cover, may well just go back to him. But good to get other quotes. Right now I have a cover on C-Traveler, but it was not custom made for my boat, although it had some alterations, but still not the perfect fit I'd like. Colby
skagerrak

City/Region: WASHINGTON
State or Province: DC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Morning Dory
Photos: Morning Dory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights. It's not looking good for getting anything from Angola at this point.

colbysmith, do you have any sense if your local guy would be interested in making a cover for a C-Dory 16?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure he would if your boat was in the area. He needs the actual boat to work with. Another option would be to find a similar boat in the area he could use for fitting. It’s Lohaus custom covers in Cottage Grove, Wi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: