View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: A thought Reply with quote

A special pleasure, for us, while in the cruising world, was the companionship. Here, disjunct from 'everyday' life, folks relax, enjoy and share. The duties and obligations of 'town life' are forgotten and chatting, laughing, and comments about the natural world surrounding us become the norm. Most of the folks we knew well from cruising, we didn't see except on the water, and those were special times indeed.

Living aboard a small boat and cruising the water of America is a unique and wonderful retirement life.

Sent from my iPad

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know what you mean. In the condo I wake up and don't know where the wind is! It's odd. On the boat there is always something going on. Town life is more sterile for sure. Planning the next trip 6 months a year is too short
George
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. C-Dory's (and therefore C-Brats) constitute an affinity group that is hard to beat. Friends with similar interests, Adventurous, and looking toward tomorrow in the great outdoors.

Hard to beat.
...no, Impossible to beat!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After lurking on the old Cdog site for a couple of years I purchased my boat from a member sight unseen 1800 miles away in 2001, knowing that the group of owners that I had been observing were trustworthy enthusiasts with nothing to hide. I sold it the same way in 2013 to a young couple that reminded me a lot of myself. We're a great bunch, that's why I still check in almost every day.

It's something in the water!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget the sundowners in the cockpit swinging on the hook in some nice little cove!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making me thirsty Pat. Cindie and I look forward to that period in our lives. Aven is wearing a women's size 7.5 shoe so we can't be too far off. For now, we will continue to practice and build perspective for the future.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us it is far more than a retirement life style. Two nights ago, we had a gathering of 14 friends. The major reason (if we really needed one), was to give some encouragement to a recently retired Navy Officer and his wife in their plans to go cruising.

4 families of us, sailed together (raced against, and cruised with) since the 1960's--I have know these people thru sailing for over 50 years! These 4 families all decided to leave S. Calif. and move to Pensacola--based a great deal on our friendships. One of the group, had met several cruisers from Pensacola in Mexico--liked them, and it was history. We toasted several departed friends. The comment made about one of them--was that it was hard to find a cruiser of our vintage who didn't know this man and his wife. How true that is in the small boat cruising world.

We were each challenged to say a few words about what was best about our cruising lives. Many of the comments were based on the people that one met and the friendships made. Of the group--one had made 3 circumnavigations (His wife 2), one had sailed across the Atlantic on our boat. We have spent about a year total sailing onboard our circumnavigating friend's boat. Cummulatively there were over a dozen trips to Hawaii. Most of us had transited the Panama Canal on our own boats. My comment was the best thing about cruising was spending full time with Marie--interacting together 24 hours a day with our lives and safety dependent on each other, as we crossed oceans.

I see the same things in the C Dory community--it is a lifetime of boating. Friendships here transcend the boats. It is an extended family, with people all over N. America, and occasionally elsewhere in the world. These are lifetime friendships--no matter what stage of life we are in.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People we meet boating and camping are the friendliest ,willing to help out. The stress of everyday work and commutes are gladly forgotten and everyone just wants to enjoy their time on water ,or at a slip or campground. People are quick to grab a line to help you in . Met about 16 couples at Cayuga 2 years ago,wife had to write down the names until we could recall them. The friends we made at Erie invited us over for dinner at campground and we met a few more couples. A month ago we visited them in central PA elk country,nice way to meet and make friends.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Bob! What great experiences to have shared! We are building our own memories, but no sailing and no ocean cruises! We are however tremendously excited about the Great Loop!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two summers ago I went up to the north end of Vancouver Island, spending a fair amount of the time in the Broughtons. One of my goals was to go to Port Harvey, which I did and made several stops. Going back there again this summer, some of the same folks were there, and we had occasion to share a boat ride. And later, off and on through the next month we would talk on the VHF, or share an anchorage. They were often "checking on me" because my boat was so little. If they heard of a location for "fuzzy beachballs" they would pass that on to me. Great folks, cruising friends that made a difference.

I had the opportunity to meet a young couple on a 25, "Plan B", and we spent some enjoyable and memorable times together, some quit evenings, and some rollicking waves. All good times.

I didn't spend many nights at a dock, but did meet some wonderful people. Sharing a common goals and memories. The cruising has a way of equalizing and bonding. What a life.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon Embarrased

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey - such great experiences and thoughts. Thanks for sharing. You capture the essence of cruising.
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a small world after all.

This week we were leaving the ramp at KY Dam Village Marina and heading south. Then a sailboat came into view and I motored towards it. It turns out that it was a couple that we last saw in the North Channel several years ago.

Then we were talking to a couple that had just bought a Grand Banks 42 with which to do the Loop. Turns out they were long time sailors and we shared several acquaintances. After a couple of hours of conversations, I decided Bill and I are brothers from a different mother.

Nancy and I can certainly attest to the friendliness of C-Brats. A few short weeks ago we met many on the Mississippi River. We got a warm welcome, tours of all the boats, a ride on thataway, lots of advice and well wishes in our search for a C-Dory.

This forum heavily influenced or decision to buy a C-Dory.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
OffLeash

City/Region: SEATTLE
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: OffLeash
Photos: OffLeash
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are own observations on this subject a much the same as others. I was lucky enough to take a year out of my career and do the Caribbean back in the late 80’s aboard a 44’ ketch, 2 years ago we got to do the Loop in a 34 sailing cat. Now we are back in our adoptive home of Seattle with the first third of the inside passage aboard our Tomcat under our belts.
The only reason I mention three different adventures and three different types of boats is that to us it did not seem to matter what kind of boat you are on or where you are cruising, boater seem to have a need to reach out, make a connection, and help each other. Maybe it’s a need to share the beauty or the terror we have all experienced on our boats.
We tried the RV thing and saw similar beauty but never really experienced the comradery. Maybe it is just something about the water.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Harvey - such great experiences and thoughts. Thanks for sharing. You capture the essence of cruising.

El and Bill, thank you for being a fine example, and for your complimentary comment. Not being one to participate in the "sundowner drink set" I have to agree, it must be the water Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

and this place helps make it special.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee you made me curious about what is a fuzzy beachball?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: