The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Roller trailer question for the brain trust.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris said:
Quote:
So, strap it down for safety, let it shift and enjoy the fact that it's a roller trailer.

I would respectfully disagree with the "let it shift" part of that statement. from my experience, a load that shifts is not a controlled load and if that shift happens at an inopportune time it could result in "bad things" Cry Embarassed

Much less likely to have a spilled load if it is constrained. YMMV Wink

Yup, there are some advantages to a roller trailer, but I don't think they include getting away with an unsecured load.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tie down strap that goes from the bow eye vertically down to the trailer frame (in addition to the winch strap and the safety chain). This keeps the bow from bouncing up and down when towing.

One advantage of bunk trailers is that you can undo all the straps and still back the boat down the ramp without it sliding off the trailer. Makes launching easier.

I lost a RIB once because the winch strap broke. The boat blew over and the transom straps let me drag it bottom up down the road for a bit until I could stop.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trailer my CD22 very far or very fast. I do trailer flat bottom jet boats all over, on and off road. I launch and recover where there are no ramps.

With that in mind, I can offer this insight:

1. Straps straps straps. Of you have tow eyes on your transom that's the best thing to use. Cleats aren't great for this and can break off when used for such applications, but may be all you have. If so, consider adding tow eyes. If you are having issues, strap your transom down with four straps, two attached to the same side as the tow eye, and two crossing in an X like Foggy said, from the tow eye on one side to the trailer on the other. Make the straps tight, and use straps that are made for boats, and large enough for the load.

2. Throw a strap over the gunnel, and under the trailer frame in addition to the straps on the transom.

3. You can do a lot by adding a strap from the bow eye to the trailer frame, straight down or even slightly aft of the bow eye. It may seem counter intuitive, but a more secure bow will make a difference at the stern.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Snappin Turtle (www.snappinturtle.com) ratchet super strong and wide
red trailer straps to secure my important stuff when I'm on the move.
They're awesome and gently priced.
Check'em out.

Aye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: