The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Roller trailer question for the brain trust.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Roller trailer question for the brain trust. Reply with quote

We now own a roller trailer, something we have never had before.

I always assumed that the set up of the rollers on pivoting mounts would automatically center the boat on the trailer.

Perhaps they are not properly adjusted on our trailer as the boat wants to move to starboard by several inches.

We are leaving tomorrow for a few days on KY Lake and I have a brand new ratchet strap to hold it down.

What say you? Rollers improperly adjusted? Just the way they are? Something else?

All answers appreciated. Laughing

Correct answers? Love

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really loved my roller trailer for 10 years with the 22...

The trick in my opinion was the side guides which lined up the boat on the roller when retrieving.

Hope that helps...
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with John...it helps to have good loading guides or rails because the boat can sit off center very easily.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

We have guides. The boat can be centered when loaded, it still moves to the side when trailering.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like maybe you need tie-down straps, one at the back corners and one on the front. First check that both sides of the rollers are adjusted the same.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunk trailer, so can't give you a definitive answer. But what I can say is that if I pull out of the water with the boat perfectly centered on the trailer, and then drive X number of miles, it will walk to one side at the stern. It will only go so far before one of the bunks stops it (due to hull shape), but I would still prefer it didn't. I could imagine rollers perhaps not doing any better because they will still be as "flat" as the hull shape (which I think is why it likes to walk. It seems like the orientation of the rollers is more to ease the boat on and off the trailer (fore-and-aft) not keep it centered (athwartships)?

I don't have the loading guides that many do (the ones that guide the boat up near the sheer stripe), although I now have some to install. But I wouldn't want those rubbing on the boat when trailering either (was thinking of them more for loading).

Given the number of possible solutions I've seen on the forum, I don't think mine is the only boat that likes to "walk" a bit on the trailer (and I do use a heavy strap). The solutions that looked the best to me involve some sort of a guide/stop that sits down on the trailer frame rail and thus contacts the boat low (for both effect and for not rubbing on the topsides). Something like this from the 22 Cruiser 3rd Byte. You can't completely tell in this photo but these are aft of the wheels on the frame rail. He mentioned he would adjust them after the boat was on the trailer (he had separate loading guides up higher on the topsides) and that they worked really well.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sunbeam's picture. That's what I need.

I put "bunk rollers" on my trailer when I went to Lake Ozette. I had read that the launch was very shallow and rollers might be the only way to launch and retrieve. It turns out that the ramp was very good and I didn't need rollers.

I left them on part of the summer. When I went on bad gravel roads on the outside of Vacouver Island, I noticed that the boat had shifted sideways. My guide bars were u-bolted on to the trailer and when the boat moved sideways, the guides simply twisted out of the way. They look like the same guides as shown attached just forward of Sunbeam's lateral stop. Fortunately, the EZ Loader trailer has rounded plastic fenders, which ended up being my lateral stops.

The problem with bunks, bunk rollers, and traditional rollers on a dory is that there is no "V" to sit down and center the boat. On gravel logging roads, it's common for the road to be accordion pleated and not canted towards the inside of a corner. When going around a corner or going down a steep grade, the trailer starts bouncing while it isn't level and maybe even tilted towards the outside of a sharp corner. There is nothing to keep the flat dory bottom centered on the flat bunks or a few rollers.

I put lateral straps on both sides of the boat from the center cleat to the trailer. Even still (after tightening them when I check axle temps), I can get a few inches of lateral travel. I also bolted my guides directly to the trailer. That didn't really help. I need some big herkin' stops like Sunbeam shows to take the load when the boat shifts, which it will do.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have boat movement after loading, I would take a look at the alignment of the rollers and how that relates to the hull shape. Is there any positioning of the rollers you could do to align some wheel with hull edges to grab and keep the boat from moving sideways. I was able to do that on one boat we had and it only took a little time with wrenches to make the change. Roller positioning often doesn't match the hull shape with any perfection but they all have a least some adjustments.

This is why I like bunks and guides. Less moving parts to get aligned.

Greg
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattish bottom boats aft don't act well on trailers or going down steep waves.
There's a physics reason for this that just now alludes me. But, it doesn't take
too much brain power to understand why.

On the trailer scenario, to minimize the sideways walking, I've found placing
stern trailer straps in an "X" direction is much improved than using them in a
vertical direction. Placing straps further forward vertically or one over the gunnel
in the cockpit may look like it helps but doesn't actually help prevent aft sideways
movement of the boat. You want the "X" aft where most of the weight is. Two
purely horizontal aft straps would work best if it could be done reasonably.

Works for me.

Aye.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my bunk trailer the fenders over the wheels act as side guides There is about an inch clearance. The inside of the fenders are padded to protect the hull.

The only issue is that sometimes when the boat is pulled out of the water on side may be sitting on top of the fender instead of inside it (usually if there is a crosswind or current). I have to watch the boat settle on the trailer as I pull it out.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best solution is to use ratchet straps from the trailer frame to the "tow eyes" on the transom. I also use a larger ratchet strap on the trailer. Lacking the straps to the tow eyes, the boats all tend to walk, some.

The side guide bunks which I have rarely contact the hull--their principle function is centering the boat on the trailer when retrieving.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo said:
Quote:
The problem with bunks, bunk rollers, and traditional rollers on a dory is that there is no "V" (bottom), to sit down and center the boat.

Mark hit it on the head, the V would help keep it centered but the tie down process is also particular.

Foggy said:
Quote:
On the trailer scenario, to minimize the sideways walking, I've found placing the stern trailer straps in an "X" direction is much improved (system rather than) than using them in a vertical direction. Placing straps further forward vertically or one over the gunnel in the cockpit may look like it helps but doesn't actually help prevent aft sideways movement of the boat. (It does help keep the boat on the trailer, should there be an unforeseen accident of some type.) You want the "X" aft where most of the weight is. Two purely horizontal aft straps would work best if it could be done reasonably.

Most aft ties are done from the “U” loops on the transom straight down to the tie points on the trailer. On a bunk trailer, tightening them down snug does help to decrease the sideways shifting, (more so than a roller due to more bottom surface contact area), BUT and SO, not a bad idea to use those but to prevent the sideways shifting, the cross ties are a MUST.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: boat travel while on the trailer Reply with quote

I can't speak for trailers with rollers as my trailer has 4 padded bunks that the boat rests on. I typically pull the boat out and if it has rested off center, I use a lever ( I use a wheelbarrow handle with a thick pad on one end.) to center the aft end between, but not touching, the side bunks. I don't have tow eyes on my transom, so I throw a strap over the gunnels and I'm off. I have never had the boat shift around. Can't explain it, maybe it's the 4 2X8 bunks. It just works for me. If I had your problem, and had tow loops, the cross tie-down idea sounds like a winner.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the E-Z roller trailer under Journey On. There are no provisions for small adjustments. The only adjustment is several inches in the height of the rollers, allowing the correct initial height of the boat be set.

This is my second roller trailer. I wonder how people with 8 1/2 foot width retrieve those boats, because with rollers, you just crank it in. And you don't have to be too careful how the boat is pointed, because I've found the rollers straighten it out. That said, after I've loaded the darn thing, I've found that it'll shift against one or the other guide-ons during travel and ride there. Every time I tow it, I use a truckers strap across the back of the boat, across the cockpit. Yes, I almost lost a boat, the front tiedown broke but the 2 motorcycle straps held. Years ago, in Enesnada, Mexico and I still sweat when I think of it.

So, strap it down for safety, let it shift and enjoy the fact that it's a roller trailer.

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the "hold in placers" shown in my above post on the Cabernet colored boat aren't mine (wouldn't mind if they were, because they reportedly worked a treat). They were designed and fabricated by the owner of the 22 Cruiser 3rd Byte, and are pictured on his trailer. I had saved the photo because it seemed like a great design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: