View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Where C-Dory fits in the scheme of things Reply with quote

Boat U. S had this article on their website: Best Trailer Boats For Your Money. A list of trailer boats up to $100, 000. All C-Brats should read it.

They covered open boats, pontoon boats and jet skis, 22 boats in all. Not only where there no C-Dorys, but there were no closed cabin boats at all.

I think that shows the market for C-Dorys is a niche market; certainly as seen by the mass marketers. And this article proves that there is a limited market for C-Dorys, something of which we should be all aware, buyer or seller. They don't sell enough to attract the attention of a national magazine, and there's not a plentiful supply of them when you're buying or sellting. And they missed the Ranger Tug 21 which would have fit right in. And that brand advertises in their magazine.

Boris
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in the magazine industry in the past, I learned a few things about which items get mentioned in magazines and what travel locations get written up. Ever wonder why Mexico has so many travel articles written about it for example. Look at the ads. When you see the '10 best cameras of 2016 article' again look at the ads. C-Dory's are indeed a niche market boat and with a small production run, they advertise very little, so you will rarely see them in the magazines.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list was RIGGED! Haha, just kidding.

I for one am sure glad there are no C-Dories on that list. I think one of the many reasons most of us like our boats is because they are NOT mass produced and because they DON'T look like every other boat out there!

And considering how most of us use our boats, and the constituency of C-Brats (a lot of cruising and fishing couples and singles, many in retirement) it's really not surprising at all there are no C-Dories, Rangers, or other similar boats mentioned, since the vast majority of OTHER boaters out there want a boat that can accommodate their family of 4 plus their friend's family of 4 for a few hours of tubing and wake boarding on the lake. The list is simply reflective of how the majority of people prefer to spend their time on the water. That type of boating is definitely not for me, but I know a fair number of people (friends and co-workers) who do exactly that...believe it or not, they dream of someday getting that 27' party barge like we might dream of getting that Venture 23, CD 25, or TomCat!

On a side note, can you believe how UGLY some of those boats are?! Wow!

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the right tool for the job. For the average American, the word "boat" brings to mind an image of 4 pretty young people in an open runabout, going 40 mph on glass smooth water... water skiing... pulling a colorful float behind... a picnic on a sandbar. Mention "boat" where we live, and people think: a flat bottom skimmer-type boat used for fishing (we are not over-populated with runabout boats) or 65' shrimp boats.

It took years for neighbors along our canal to stop asking "What'd ya catch?" as we'd come back in with one of our sailboats... they couldn't imagine having any kind of boat if you don't fish! When hearing that we'd go out cruising for months at a time with Wild Blue, we would often see dumbfounded stares... "Why?" Describe the places we've visited, the spectacular things we've seen, and we'd still get: "But, you don't fish?"

Those of us who appreciate a cabin boat and spend time on this forum understand what amazing boats C-Dorys are. We can easily be lulled into thinking because we fit in here, we fit in with the rest of the boating world. Mr. Green

Yeah, these boats are a niche. But, what an amazing tool for handling that niche! The person looking for a trailerable adventure cruising boat is going to seek out a boat to fill that niche. The odds of swaying the average potential boat buyer (who is thinking: skiing, tubing, bikinis, blasting stereos... and maybe fishing) to a C-Dory is pretty slim. Even though we know how versatile these boats are, they seem like an over-priced, too specific "tool" for their boating desires.

Boating publications have to go for the demographic that will purchase what their advertisers have to sell. Don't expect to see "C-Dory Life" on the news stands... which is also why this forum is SO popular and active among those who DO appreciate that niche.

We have begun considering what will be "the next boat"... looking for something small for day-tripping in our local water, sight-seeing, dolphin watching, and just being out on the water. No over-nighting or trailering to cruise. We considered a C-Dory 16 (because I drank the kool-aide Wink ), but something like a pontoon or a deck-boat makes more sense for this use. Some dolphin watch operators here use pontoons. Fishing charter operators use boats here that can run across a foot of water (or less)... they remind me of a raft with a big ol' motor on a jackplate. But, it is the right tool for their use. It didn't make that magazine list, either. Cool

Not everyone has good taste, like C-Dory owners do. Wink
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement and add the same for auto related, guns, PC - computer, nerd stuff, camping, fishing ,cooking etc publications

LOL

enjoy the weekend!

NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the C-Dory is less than perfect from the factory, as evidenced by the thousands of pictures on this forum of improvements, it has a well built hull with the right form to be an all around "Swiss Knife" of boats.

When we decided we no longer wished to put up and take down sailboats, we knew what we wanted. A boat that was aesthetically pleasing to look at, that could be modified to meet our needs, that had a strong on-line user support group, that could easily be pulled with our current pick up, that could either eat miles or stroll along at slower speeds.

Much credit (or blame) goes to Wild Blue. Hearing about their transition from sailing to power on the Trailer Sailor forum as well as reading Jim's blog, convinced me that a C-Dory would fit our requirements. Having had the privilege of going on bmcpiper's Big Blue confirmed my opinion. Then going to the Mississippi River gathering and meeting so many wonderful C-Brats, as well as getting a chance to spend some time on the river with Dr. Bob, was kind of icing on the cake.

Having owned Seaward sailboats, it never bothered me that we had a relatively rare boat or that others had never heard of the brand. I did appreciate the many compliments paid to us by boaters and non-boaters alike. C-Dory's get the same reaction.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
It took years for neighbors along our canal to stop asking "What'd ya catch?" as we'd come back in with one of our sailboats... they couldn't imagine having any kind of boat if you don't fish! When hearing that we'd go out cruising for months at a time with Wild Blue, we would often see dumbfounded stares... "Why?" Describe the places we've visited, the spectacular things we've seen, and we'd still get: "But, you don't fish?"
We still get that every weekend. Even though we've been going out diving and photographing marine life nearly every weekend for the past 25 years we are still asked how many lobsters we caught.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
We still get that every weekend. Even though we've been going out diving and photographing marine life nearly every weekend for the past 25 years we are still asked how many lobsters we caught.

But you don't fish?!? Laughing I'm one of those people who can't imaging owning a boat and not fishing but for me, that's the primary reason for owning a boat. That, and getting the heck away from people. You don't fish? Unfathomable. Laughing

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the primary thing that makes the C-Dory family of boats "the" niche boat is the hard top, enclosed cabin, and trailerable. The enclosed cabin is perfect for two boating climate extremes, the hot south and the cold north. That works to be able to AC or heat the boat to make it comfortable. Maybe it has to do with that most of us are past the waterskiing stage, and are more content to do water activities that are less "brutal" to our bodies.

When asked about fishing, I often respond with a comment about fishing for whales and bears....... with my camera. I really get some strange looks. It's OK, what I do on my boat is really my business. If I am safe and enjoying what I do, I'm happy. Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our conversations would go like this...

"What'd you catch?"

"Some rays."

"You caught some stingrays?"

"Um, no - we we got some sunshine."

"Oh, didn't catch any fish, huh? Maybe next time."

Wink

Tough to do with no fishing gear on the boat. We did get stopped once by a Texas Fish & Game warden. He wanted to see our fishing licenses.

"We don't fish."

"Oh, really? What's the net for?"

"We have a cat."

"Ohhhhh..."

Fortunately, never had to use the net for Molly or Izzy. Works good for a hat-overboard situation, though. Cool
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think not many people buy a C-Dory as their first boat...
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

It was ours. But boating in the PNW demands a cabin w/ heat. Had I still been in Hawai'i, a more "open" boat would have been fine.

NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

I think you are correct for the most part. The owners we have spoken with have had other boats before either "moving up" or "moving down" to a C-Dory.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

Interesting thought.

My boat was purchased new, and set up by Jim, who was getting ready to buy his last boat, "retire and fish his way to Alaska." The impressive part of the story to me is that this was his 34th boat over his lifetime. He lived in norther California and boated on the Delta, the coast and the lakes. I give him credit for "knowing a thing or two since he'd done a thing or two", and I just have to think he got most of it right. (We disagreed on the importance of having good VHF capability, so I added some there.)

Unfortunately for Jim, it was his last boat, and for me, my first power boat. I think I got it right with his boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

I think you are correct for the most part. The owners we have spoken with have had other boats before either "moving up" or "moving down" to a C-Dory.

I would think more people buy a C-Dory as their last boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: