thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the boating education classes which have the content approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), will have reciprocity with 45 states--including Washington St. Holding any of the Coast Guard Certificates, or licenses qualify as the boater education requirement.

Most of the CG Aux Classes meet these requirements. But a class taken in the past may not.

Easiest is to take the on line class/test by Boater Ed . This qualifies you in 45 states, and many other jurisdictions.

There are also a number of US Power Squadron courses on line.

However many of the more complex, and those requiring an instructor be present must be taken in person. A few states require that an instructor be present for the class of basic safe boating.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. Power & Sail Squadron classes - they are well worth taking. I will go one step further - join your local squadron. Being a member holds many benefits. I joined years ago and have taken a number of their courses. 3 years ago I was asked to serve on the Bridge. Very rewarding experience.

Regards, Rob

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here. I just wanted to add my two cents and with a quick scan of the 3 pages I did not see it but could have missed it. I think that binoculars are the most under used tool in a boat. I use mine all the time to check out the water conditions around me. As an example, i do not enter cattle pas with out looking thru the binos first. Even if the water around me is flat it might, and has been, really rough in the pass. Its not a solution for every event but it sure helps. I cant see very well at 10 yards let alone 100 yards. I use my binos at passes, marinas and harbor mouths.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I remember seeing that Washington State requires a boater education card for operators younger than me (like my wife, for instance). Any Washington C-Brats have one? What's involved? Any of the CG safety courses qualify for the card?

Mark

Mark, I have one, and have had it since 2005, When I bought my boat. Way back when, I used to teach boating safety classes, WA and Oregon, and for Red Cross.

The WA card can be had by taking the Boaters Ed class on the BoatUS site that I referenced earlier. My preference is to do it in person, so I took it through a Power Squadron class offering. I think it was $20, and two evenings of about 3 hours each. Well worth it, as I was new to the area, and to power boating.

This is a good time to start looking for current offerings.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the 'official' site for Washington. Apparently there are similar requirments in Oregon
http://wa-washingtonstateparks.civicplus.com/442/Mandatory-Boater-Education

"...we're all in the same boat..."
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating parts of an earlier post, in response to the OP, who was looking for help in learning how to run inlets to rivers and bays:

You got the horse laugh when you asked around about boater ed classes because really good instruction beyond whatever your state requires (or advises) for new boaters is very rare, and expensive when you do find it. In Oregon, new boaters are required to pass a class, now just a day long seminar, before earning a "boater ed" card. This was phased in over a period of years, moving up the age brackets. It has very heavy emphasis on novice boaters, especially PWC operators, because that is the demographic group where the greatest incidence of water-related casualties is.

You might find an "advanced" USCG or Power Squadron boating class, whose content is what was required in the old boater ed class. I took that, back in 2007, from the local Power Squadron, and it was excellent! YMMV, however, because the local group brought in USCG experts, etc., and had instruction on avoiding and dealing with hazards unique to our area [Columbia River Bar and estuary, as well as near shore sport fishery]. Others, who took similar classes where the major boating activity is running a wakeboard boat on the local lake, got none of that added instruction. None. Yet, they carry the same boater ed card I do.

All of this is by way of explaining why the best way to get started on training yourself on running tricky bars and inlets is ... hitching a ride with a local who runs them regularly. It will be worth the money to pay someone with a solid reputation if you can do a ridealong. Ask around.

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee just joined Boat US last season,didnt know about their classes,but will check thanks.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Hardee just joined Boat US last season,didnt know about their classes,but will check thanks.

Larry, check the website link I posted, and look through the magazine for the tips there too.

Always learning

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

A really good source for more info is Chapmans Piloting and Seamanship. It will cost about what a class would or less and have more than you will get in any one class.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hardee. The more I learn the better I feel about boating everywhere.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classes and rules are great and I dont knock them as a place to start and good source of information but, time on the water with someone that knows how to drive a boat ( and is good at it) is time well spent. Going and doing is always a better teacher when it comes to driving things, and shooting.

I have the job of teaching two things in life, basic marksmanship and driving concrete trucks. I can tell you what to do all day but until you feel it you wont get all of it. I also have taught boat handling for free to more then a few people( you get what you pay for) and I could not tell you half the rules or the water or what chapman has to say about it but I can tell you what a small boat 30ft or less will do in the water. Go use you boat.

One thing on rules and right of way. It does not matter if your right if you are dead. Most people on a boat today (90%) could not tell you the rules if you beat them and they could care less if you did tell them. Boating is not a competition. So when in doubt throttle back and let the asshat go first. You loose nothing being safe and gain everything.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can put you in contact with instructors who can help you learn to do this more challenging stuff.

This was a good long thread with lots of advice, but on thing I'd like to emphasize is that your boat is a really good one, and it can handle a lot more than most captains. That gets said a lot here, but its true.

In these conditions you don't want to try to come about. I've been caught in this type of situation before, and you will probably have trouble doing that. Once you are committed in water like that you need to keep going, mostly.

These conditions are common at the mouth of a river and should be expected. The best thing you can do is realize what the impact of wind, tide and current are on the inlet by observing it frequently and noting the tide stage, current and wind and get a feel for where your limits are.

Be aware that the inlet will behave differently after the tide turns. So a terrible ride out in an incoming tide might be paired with an easy return later in the day on an outgoing tide.

Generally, you want to take these inlets in the deepest parts of the channel. There the waves will be shorter, and spaced farther apart. Even if this is slightly the case, the result in your trip can be tremendous.

Of course, being aware of these conditions and making the decision to not go when its bad is the best thing you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: