View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
BrentB wrote:
any other boats in the area at the same time as you?

Yes, why?
\

Did they have any problems?

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:
BrentB wrote:

Yes, why?
\

Oh, you mean at that particular time? Yes, there were a few but they were big boys. Like 40' sportfisher type boats; they didn't even slow down. Lol.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:
BrentB wrote:

Yes, why?
\

Oh, you mean at that particular time? Yes, there were a few but they were big boys. Like 40' sportfisher type boats; they didn't even slow down. Lol.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Thanks for the responses. It's hard to reply to everyone!

Another point that I'd like to make is that I have been through this inlet (Canal) many times and with different winds and tides. BUT I have never seen 6 foot walls of water coming at me before. Lol. I've taken the 16 and 19 C Dory through there many times.

In a strange way I'm kinda happy that I encountered those conditions. It'll prepare me for my multi day cruising trips next year and any weather/bad conditions I may run into.

I'm hoping to find a USCG seamanship class that I can take over the winter. That was my regret, that I didn't take it last year. I figured that I could learn everything on my own. Well, in many ways I have learned a lot on my own and through the Brats but I'm not against taking instruction either. I spoke to a few guys at my marina and asked them about the USCG course and they laughed at me (not in a rude way). They told me they would never spend a dime on that; well I don't agree with them at all.

Yes, every day is different, and learning is an accumulative thing. The only "for sure" about boating is: I learn something every time I go out. Getting caught in rough conditions may not prepare you for "any weather/bad conditions," but it does give you a knowledge base to build on.

You can learn a lot on your own... often times, about what not to do. I feel education is a good investment, though. Your friends laughing at you makes me think there is a lot they could stand to learn. If you are not able to find USCG Aux classes in your area, look for US Power Squadron courses. Start with their Safe Boating class, then build up from that. Over the years, we have taken ASA Sailing Classes, US Power Squadron classes, and schooling for my original OUPV Captain License and the Master License. All money well spent. Read as much as you can about boating. The Chapman Piloting and Seamanship is a wonderful reference.

Nobody thinks it is acceptable to get an airplane and teaching yourself how to fly by "going out and doing it." I don't understand why this is acceptable with a boat.

Good luck as you progress - you have a very capable boat; do all you can to be an equally capable boat operator.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Really good thread, good information being provided, and good to share your experience.

Jim's advice on finding and taking classes is well worth serious effort. Experience is also a really good teacher IF, you survive and are smart enough to learn from it.

You have a good, sound and seaworthy vessel. Don't abuse it but do use it. It is bigger and heavier than the 19, so less like a cork and more like a 2x4. Keep the hatch battened and stuff stowed. Keep the PFD on, and I would highly recommend a PLB to wear on the PFD along with the handheld VHF. Single handing, you have to keep priorities in order. If the PFD and VHF are with you, you will have that few extra seconds to grab the ditchbag, (which for me is on the seat next to the cabin door), on your way out.

Keep enough power to maintain control, and riding the back of a wave is a very good place to be, if they are going your direction. You have to look at the situation. Sometimes it's better to run in the center, deepest, part of the channel, sometimes there is less wave action along one shore or the other. Look for where the wave action is happening and judge your course accordingly.

Experience on your boat will be your friend. Enjoy it.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

You got the horse laugh when you asked around about boater ed classes because really good instruction beyond whatever your state requires (or advises) for new boaters is very rare, and expensive when you do find it. In Oregon, new boaters are required to pass a class, now just a day long seminar, before earning a "boater ed" card. This was phased in over a period of years, moving up the age brackets. It has very heavy emphasis on novice boaters, especially PWC operators, because that is the demographic group where the greatest incidence of water-related casualties is.

You might find an "advanced" USCG or Power Squadron boating class, whose content is what was required in the old boater ed class. I took that, back in 2007, from the local Power Squadron, and it was excellent! YMMV, however, because the local group brought in USCG experts, etc., and had instruction on avoiding and dealing with hazards unique to our area [Columbia River Bar and estuary, as well as near shore sport fishery]. Others, who took similar classes where the major boating activity is running a wakeboard boat on the local lake, got none of that added instruction. None. Yet, they carry the same boater ed card I do.

All of this is by way of explaining why the best way to get started on training yourself on running tricky bars and inlets is ... hitching a ride with a local who runs them regularly. It will be worth the money to pay someone with a solid reputation if you can do a ridealong. Ask around.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another educational possibility: I am sure other communities do this - the sailing club we used to belong to taught a 6 week class through the local adult ed center. My part was teaching Rules of the Road (intro) and man-overboard rescue techniques. There were people who were considering a boat purchase, new boaters, and experienced boaters taking the class.

Might be worth checking into adult education classes offered in your area.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Power Squadron may be your best bet: Here is a link to look up the nearest class to your location during the winter. The information is good. I had an uncle who was an instructor in all of the classes thru celestial navigation. He had about 500 miles of total boating experience. Owned a 50 foot boat, which never left the dock under its own power. There may be many seasoned boaters giving the classes, or they may have just worked up thru the various classes.

There are plus and minus thoughts about the Coast Guard classes, and the Aux. I took the basic series of classes in the 1960's and again in the 1970's with Marie. Good basic knowledge, but may not prepare you for situations like you experienced. For the most part there are very good dedicated men and women in the CG Aux. I have worked with them doing safety for various sailing regattas, and high speed power boat races. For the most part they were very professional.

CG Aux classes can be found on line here. I put my zip code in and it gave no classes--so this may be outdated?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobAustin Said:

Quote:
"CG Aux classes can be found on line here. I put my zip code in and it gave no classes--so this may be outdated?"

I put in my ZIP Code and got 4 classes within 50 miles, so I think it's still a working site. 50 miles is good for Sequim.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the thing's you should do as practice is learn how fast you can do a 180 turnaround. Find out what is possible/comfortable and count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, etc. You will probably be surprised at how fast you can turn in a C Dory. Then time the wave interval coming at you when you're in something that is uncomfortable.

I got into some big seas this summer and then the wind came up and started blowing the tops off. I needed to turn and run. I slowed to idle and watched the waves for a while hoping for something small. When I finally made my 180, I was amazed at how fast I turned around with a dory hull. I accelerated and the approaching wave didn't even have a chance to lift my stern before I was heading back in the trough. I was giddy.

The 16 spins and takes off like a scalded cat. You might be amazed at what you can do in six seconds.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some, I believe the turns to port or Starboard may not be equal, in timing or leaning. I know for me I can turn much faster and with more lean in to Starboard than port. makes for a tighter, faster turn.

Also want to pay attention to where on the wave you would make that turn. I think that would depend on whether they are oncoming of following waves.

Thoughts anyone?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that the CG Aux class site is working well.---I guess just no classes in Pensacola--or it is not recognizing my ZIP...

The 16 will turn far faster than a 22 or a 24. A lot does depend on how the boat is trimmed. Being broadside at the wrong time (on the face of a wave) can be catastrophic in any boat. So making a 180 degree turn is not undertaken lightly in waves which are of the size enough to roll a boat. Generally, waves come in sets, even in instances as Jason was in. You need to time the sets, and pick the smallest of the waves--then make the turn, just after the crest has passed. But then you better be ready to use both throttle and helm to control the boat...

Agree, the most right hand rotation prop boats will turn faster to Starboard. This is certainly a factor to remember as Hardy suggested! I had to make some sharp turns to port with a 25 knot wind and very un responsive steering, due to air in the hydraulic system--it would have been easier to the Starboard.
westward

C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also gain helpful knowledge on youtube. Try this search query: How to cross a bar safely in a trailer powerboat New Zealand". Best, Mike.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
I would love to take a course on everything you could learn about boating. From navigation,to maintenance ,to chart reading also old school navigation .of course everything safety ,understanding tides,figuring slack tides ect. Long winters around here ,would be a great way to past the time. But here in PA not many in depth learning courses.

Larry, Don't know if you do this already, but if not, look into a membership in "BoatUS". You get access to some great online courses, other online info, and a monthly magazine that has plenty of good educational material.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.boatus.org/

It's a good place to start, and worth the membership fee which is pretty minimal compared to what we spend for fuel etc.

Just read a Q&A in one of their magazines about taking waves. Their advice, "not directly on the bow, 90 degrees from the wave direction, but take the wave just aft of directly on the bow, on a bit of an angle. Less chance of having a water boarding incident that way."

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing that Washington State requires a boater education card for operators younger than me (like my wife, for instance). Any Washington C-Brats have one? What's involved? Any of the CG safety courses qualify for the card?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: