The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25 with a semi- flybridge??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: 25 with a semi- flybridge?? Reply with quote

Is this photoshopped?? It looks pretty cool but then on closer inspection the logo is reversed and the registration numbers too. Is it real???

IF IT IS REAL......Can a 25 handle a person on the roof? Roof construction? Where would the best place be for the bridge? Forward, mid or aft? Does cabin weight affect the bridge?; like 4 or 5 people in the boat vs 1 or 2?

VERY INTERESTING STUFF!! I wish I never saw this pic! Now I'm thinking about having a solo bench on the roof with controls, electronics and an Eisenglass enclosure made over the winter! Gosh, I love my 25! And all C Dory's in general, the customization limits are endless....

From my brief time on my 25 I would say that the 25 could handle the top heavy-ness of a person up there but ONLY in a perfect sea state. I can't imagine being up there unless the seas were calm....VERY CALM.

BUT getting back to reality, please someone talk me out of this craziness and quickly. HAHA

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)

Last edited by South of Heaven on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO that is just wrong. Especially at that speed

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Fly Bridge Reply with quote

This a modification I did several years ago using PHOTOSHOP. Although I was looking into it when I had my Tomcat Cigar
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fly Bridge Reply with quote

Zydecomo wrote:
This a modification I did several years ago using PHOTOSHOP. Although I was looking into it when I had my Tomcat Cigar

Haha, I figured that. Anyway, what did your research find? Would it work on a Tomcat or 25? Probably the cat would be a better candidate right?
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomcat is a different stability platform for sure and I would never consider the permanent addition on a 25. Now, with a wireless autopilot remote, and a copilot still located in the cabin... I might do some steering from the roof or bow in flat conditions at low speed.

Here is a custom setup on a 24 Tomcat.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=2012_06_24_12_39_58&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=2012_06_24_12_40_25&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Or a custom job on an older 26 pro

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=danag-cd26&id=PICT0071_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Or a temporary solution for northern waters

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album879/Moose_Hunt_Dory.jpg

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it could be done. Yes, you could then balance on the roof and run the slot canyons at Lake Powell at 25 knots. Yes, you could do that while blindfolded and wearing ear buds.

A lot of questions that ask "could" ignore the issue of "should."

Mark
Dept. of Grumpy Old Men
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof is generally cored and plenty strong so roof strength isn't an issue if one wanted to put a fly bridge up there.

Relative to deep-V's the primary lateral stability (the initial desire to roll) of a dory-hull is high. Secondary lateral stability (the ability to resist a roll once at a steep angle) is probably lower. I say this based on my experience in flat bottom relative to more v-shaped canoes. The flat bottommed canoes are harder to tip initially but go over quickly once you get to a certain angle. The more v-shaped or rounded bottom canoes are initially quite "tippy" but beyond about 20-30 degrees laterally, they are more stable than the flat bottom ones.

So for someone who wants to travel at hull speeds, with a better view of the water, a fly bridge on a 25 would be IMO OK. If one wants to cruise at 20kts and make sharp turns, the affect on lateral stability could be a big issue.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason said:
Quote:
"Now I'm thinking about having a solo bench on the roof with controls, electronics and an Eisenglass enclosure made over the winter! Gosh, I love my 25!"

Yup you could do all of that. Should you?, well, as Roger pointed out:
Quote:
"So for someone who wants to travel at hull speeds, with a better view of the water, a fly bridge on a 25 would be IMO OK. If one wants to cruise at 20kts and make sharp turns, the affect on lateral stability could be a big issue."

The best way to turn a power boat into a sail boat is to add acres of Eisenglass at close to a vertical plane, and put that high up in the air. So, in certain conditions, no wind would give you flat water, and no sail affect. Add a little breeze, and you now have a sailboat with a flat bottom, no keel and no ballast. Sounds to me like a recipe for a hard to control vessel in all but the absolute best conditions.

Yes, the top would take the weight. Greg had a 25 with a Portland Pudgy on a stainless tubing frame and launch rack on top of a 25. That weight would probably be equal to the weight of the guy in that (OP's) Photo-shopped picture. He would be a good resource for the stability effect of weight aloft.

So, if you do it, you will really stand out at the next CBGT. All the best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We once had 220 lbs of weighted shrimp pots strapped to the top of our 22' cruiser. I say once because we never did it again when we discovered it handled terrible and wanted to roll. We tossed the pots to fish, and when we retrieved them, they never went back up there again.

I see this modification alot for offshore fisherman on deep vee boats. Some of the cabin model parker boats we looked at had this mod on the east coast. I'd guess the tendency to roll is less on a boat that isn't a flat bottom. If they handle anything like our c-dory did it would be down right frightening.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea in a boat like the C dory 25.

I have seen several 25 foot boats capsize from too much. Weight aloft.

My 2003 25 had no core in center section of top & was not satisfactory to stand on.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I was "semi" joking about the "semi" flybridge idea. Although I was and still am serious about gathering info on the feasibility of it. It looks like it CAN be done but then you can only use it in absolutely still waters so not practical for us sea folks.

Hopefully another Tomcat guy does it again and reports back!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the photo albums there is a picture of a C-Dory, a 22 I believe, that is in Alaska, where they are on a moose hunting trip. There is a ladder mounted on the roof, and it is a good 15 feet or so to the top. Seems there might be a guy on that ladder too, but don't remember for sure. Pretty scary if you ask me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: