View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Whynter FM-62DZ Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Reply with quote

We purchased the "slightly used" Whynter dual zone 62 quart freezer/refrigerator at the Mississippi gathering. We had our Dometic CF-050AC110 on the boat, and switched them out for the next 3 weeks of cruising. We have used two of the Dometic 50's--one as freezer (the one where we had the problem with the thermistor, which was replaced under warranted--and I replaced, the "non replaceable" thermistor)--and the new one. We have used this duo for two one month segments--on Powell and on the St. John's.

The question was could the Whynter duel unit replace the two smaller units? If so what were the advantages? What was comparable power consumption, and what were we going to go forward with? (The other would, be given to my son, for use on his 25.

The Dometic 50 has a measured refrigerated/freezer space of 2232 cu inches and the secondary space, over the compressor of 472 cu inches--but this extra space is at a lower temp than the other part. (total of 2704 cu inches= 47 quarts)

The Whynter has a total space of 3630 cu inches(=63 quarts=2.1 cu feet) 1845 cu in. is the larger of the two spaces, and includes the area over the compressor, which is at the same temperature as the rest of that section (either refrigerator or freezer) The other 1785 cu inch section\ can be either a freezer or refrigerator. One side cannot be turned off. There is only one compressor, so I have to conclude that there is a computer which shuts off a valve to the refrigerant flow to the cooling plate. The current draw seems to be the same, no matter which space is being cooled, or if both are being cooled. The draw is 4.7 to 5.5 amps. (This is with the battery at a resting voltage of 12.6 volts--I suspect that the 4.5 "advertised" current draw is when a vehicle's engine is running and the voltage is closer to 14.2.) I have not yet done equal cooling space tests (will be done on 110 volts). We know that the Dometic has the well respected Danfoss compressor. I suspect that the Whynter has a Chinese copy of the Danfoss compressor.

Looking at the units--the insulation on the Whynter is almost an inch thicker--but we don't know what the material is under the metal covers (both in the box, and outside are metal). The Dometic is closed cell foam, with plastic inside and outside. The lid is over twice as thick on the Whynter and there are more positive seals and over 1" wide gaskets on the Whynter. The lid on the Dometic is reversible, with is handy when we are using it in the car. (We have used the Dometic on a daily basis for over 5 months--running off a group 27 AGM battery, in the Yukon XL--used a Blue Seas Voltage Sensitive Relay, with an "on/off" switch, and a dedicated circuit to a cigarette lighter plug, via 12 gauge marine wiring in the middle seat of the Yukon). The Whynter would be too big to fit easily in this same seat.

We used the Whynter as only a refrigerator, since we did not have any frozen food--and did not anchor out or go to sand bars at night--as we normally do (because of crew injuries)... However, Marie feels that she could get by with the single dual space freezer (the smaller area) and refrigerator for a month/ vs two of the Dometic. This also has the advantage of less room taken up in the cockpit, and about 50% less current draw using the single unit, vs two Dometics. However, we would keep 3rd Group 31 AGM battery.

Reading, it appears that general satisfaction, and various issues are about the same between the Dometic and Whynter (which was a bit surprising to me, since the brand of the compressor in the Whynter is unknown, and probably a Chinese knock off of the Danfoss.)

All and all, from my reading, and looking at Pat Anterson's 50 quart ARB might be a better unit than the Dometic based on his apparent less power consumption when our boats were side by side at Lake Powell.

Now if you really want big: Dometic has a 95 quart two chamber: combination Refrigerator/Freezer....It is 10" wider than the Whynter...but still would fit in the C Dory22 cockpit. This even comes with I phone/android "apps" for control!

I need to test my Dometic 50, vs the Whynter under identical conditions (but it will be on 110 V rather than 12 V DC). From my limited 12 volt testing, the Whynter had more capacity with the same or slightly less power consumption--stay tuned!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. I've been curious about the dual-zone units too. I have a Dometic CF-50 like yours that I've been using for the past year or so, mostly in my RV (although it's also for boat use; but I had to get my solar/house bank up to an appropriate level first).

The insulation does seem a bit weak in the CF-50, especially in the lid. I tend to plop a pillow on top of the lid overnight, and sometimes during the day.

The one difference on my CF-50 is that the temperature in the little upper compartment is higher. They call it a "crisper." Basically it's a separate compartment that is right above the compressor (and probably gets somewhat heated as a result) and has no metal cooling walls as the lower area does. I use it for butter, cheese, mushrooms, etc.

I have tried to use foam and etc. so that I could use the Dometic as both a refrigerator and freezer, but it just ended up being too much of a pain, and I never felt confident that the frozen things were staying frozen enough (or the refrigerator things would be freezing). So I think if I were to try to use the one for both, I'd use the Dometic as a pure freezer, and then freeze gallon jugs of water to move to a cooler for the refrigerator temp functions (but it's so easy to get spoiled by not using a cooler, even with a water-jug-freezer right next to it!).

I've wondered if the Dometic CFX series has more insulation in the lid. It's hard to tell from the photos if it's just a "beefy looking" re-design or if it's really thicker. The dual zone Dometic CFX65 looks interesting to me. And I like that it still has the Danfoss (now Secop) compressor. Doesn't have two lids though, like some of the larger dual zones.

The pleasant surprise to me is that you're finding the Whynter/knockoff to do so well (great to read) and that the lid/seals/etc. sound good and maybe even superior on the Whynter (not that it would take much to surpass the CF design that way).

On the other hand, I have a hard enough time lifting up the CF-50 (even empty). But maybe the larger ones aren't that much heavier - the CF50 has been working so well that I haven't looked that closely.

It is nice to have one in the car, isn't it? A friend of mine got a CF-40 and had it in the car, just using it when driving plugged into the dashboard cigarette plug. Well, but he had a leftover solar panel and a small MPPT controller just sitting in storage.... So of course I said you know, if you just get a battery we could make you a "solar car" Laughing Well, not quite a solar car but the CF-40 is now hooked up to a "house" system consisting of it, the left over 100-watt panel (on the roof rack), the spare controller, and a Group 24 battery in a secured box (with an extra 12 volt outlet just for whatever). Boy has that been nice. Go kayaking, come back to cold drinks! Go to work on a project... there is food and cold drinks when break time comes. Grocery shopping, you can pick up ice cream and then do other errands (even with the car off for hours). Might not work in generally cloudy areas, but where he is it has worked great. Pure luxury, obviously, but really nice since he had most of the parts lying around already. The 40 is commodious, but still fits reasonably in the car. Maybe a 35 would be even better, but he picked up the 40 on a sale and at that point was sort of "well I don't know that I'll really use one of these that much." Of course once you have one it's suddenly amazing. As a side benefit his regular "household" refrigerator went on the fritz a few months ago and .... CF40 to the rescue.

Sure is easy to get used to not doing the ice routine.

Back to the Whynter, I'm glad you started this thread. It's interesting to hear how you like (or don't like) the dual zone and how the Whynter does. It's hard to test more than the one you buy, so few people have the information you are recording for us.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post should have read that the small area over the compressor in the Dometic 50 is at a higher temperature, than the rest of the box. Sort of a bleed over, with some insulation between. Thank you Suneam for pointing that out. We put items which don't require as low a temperature in this area. Usually set the refer at 34 degrees, and the freezer at 5 degrees. This area over the compressor, does not keep frozen items as hard, so things we are going to use that night are placed there.

As for weight, and portability, the Whynter is bulkier and 18# heavier, so it is difficult for one person to handle. It just so happens that the spreader bar of 1" square aluminum tubing I made to hoist the inflatable onto the top of the C Dory roof, is the close to the same width as the Whynter span from handle to handle., so a quick lashing from the handles to the carabiners on the spreader bar, and it is very easy to pickup and swing into the C Dory from the ground, using the Garhauer lifting Davit on the aft Starboard side of the cockpit.

Someone would have to do a lot of convincing to get me to freeze water just to put it in a cooler as ice. This might be "OK" in the PNW, but does not work well in the South .
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Someone would have to do a lot of convincing to get me to freeze water just to put it in a cooler as ice. This might be "OK" in the PNW, but does not work well in the South .

It was just a thought I had since most of the portable compressor refrigerators can only be all freezer or all refrigerator. So I was thinking of ways I could make the one I have work; like say, freezing gallon jugs and then transferring them to my six-day cooler (that would be the "refrigerator," and I would run the Dometic completely as a freezer). But I haven't done that, and it wouldn't be as nice as two compressor units (or one dual zone unit). But at least there wouldn't be meltwater like with "open" ice.

Basically these units are amazing: For a year or two I was using the six-day cooler and buying ice, draining the water, etc. That was just normal operating procedure. Then one day about a year-and-a-half ago, I turned on the Dometic CF50 and instantly life was basically pure luxury. Yessss!

I'd had the CF50 for awhile (bought it when someone here pointed out a good sale price) but hadn't used it as at the time I didn't have a way to re-charge batteries consistently. Now 200 watts of solar has been tidily taking care of that for the past 1-1/2 years (although I have not traveled in consistently cloudy areas). Anyway, it's like a miracle, basically Thumbs Up - whichever model one uses. Now very interesting to hear about the dual-zone from you - who has had a few different models - as having both a refrigerator and a freezer would be great.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
thataway wrote:

It was just a thought I had since most of the portable compressor refrigerators can only be all freezer or all refrigerator. So I was thinking of ways I could make the one I have work; like say, freezing gallon jugs and then transferring them to my six-day cooler (that would be the "refrigerator," and I would run the Dometic completely as a freezer). But I haven't done that, and it wouldn't be as nice as two compressor units (or one dual zone unit). But at least there wouldn't be meltwater like with "open" ice.

Stuff Clipped.

I think that is what Greg and Cindy are doing on the 19, Aire (sp) and are using 1 liter and half liter squarish plastic bottles with good success. George and Carolyn on KerriOn use a 2 tiered system in their freezer, with the top section insulated from the lower "freezing" section, again with good success.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: