The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hot Springs Cove/Tofino/Vancouver Island West Coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer of 2015, C-Gypsy and SleepyC launched in Port Alberni and went down the Alberni Inlet to Bamfield, spent some time in the Deer Island group. We did get north into Barkley for a bit but it was kind of rough.

I found a guy out there, paddling an 18 foot skiff, "trying to stay off the rocks until the tide changes", who was couple of miles from his home station. His outboard had quit and he had one oar. No PFD on, no VHF, and no cell phone service. He did accept a tow back to the home 40. Might have been a long day for him.

There is a pretty neat place tucked into the cove behind Robbers Passage, and we spent a night there at Port Alberni Yacht Club outpost there. Launching at Port Alberni could work, and a nice day trip to the PAYC outpost, then going north up into Barkley Sound and the Broken Group where there are lots of anchorage spots for a stop over on the way up to Ucluelet, Tofino or Ahousat before Hot Springs Cove. That would make about 25 miles of open Pacific (outside) waters to travel. That could be an easy one day hop from the west end of Alberni Canal to Tofino, weather depending, of course.

Lots of possibilities.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo Hardee's endorsement of Barkley Sound as an alternate access for Clayoquot Sound, if the run outside from Amhphitrite Point (Eucluelet) to Tofino does not intimidate you. I agree there are some good anchorages in the Deer Group, with tying off at the PAYC float in Robbers Passage a very convenient pause drop for a shower, free water, and good company.

However, the run from Port Alberni to/from the Deer Group (or the Broken Group) is sometimes a hellish wind tunnel ahead or behind a system, and may not be a "nice" day trip. When good weather prevails, an early morning run ahead of the afternoon inflow winds is the way to go. Afternoons, the inlet can be very rough. Not unsafe, by any means, but certainly taxing.

Perusal of the chart may suggest either Bamfield or the native ramp on the N shore of Barkley Sound as alternatives. Both demand some rough logging road access, however.

YMMV applies literally, here!

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, You are SOOOO right about the Alberni Canal in the afternoons. We had the great fortune of caching some flat water in the middle of 3 foot chop by following a log barge up the canal. I contacted him on the VHF to request permission to follow him in. He advised us that he had a drag line and float aft of the barge, and just to stay behind that. Outside the chop was 3 foot with white caps, behind the barge, it was 4 inches at most, and he was making about 8 knots. Worked perfect.

I know you can't count on that kind of luck every day, but I have good guardian angles, (and I could see him coming, from way back, on the AIS.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I hope to celebrate our 30th anniversary on the island next summer. We are looking at a place near Esquimalt Lagoon(Victoria area).

Would like to get up to the Tofino hot springs. Any suggestions of places/things to do in the Victoria area are welcome.

We will be on the hard though, driving a rental. Preliminary plans are looking at June 10 to 24.

Will be keeping a lookout for Cdory's.

Regards, Rob

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to launch at Port Alberni, the best site to launch is in Uculelet. They have a good paved road into the town and a great small craft harbour. I don't remember potholes, but curves; just go slow. I'd avoid those dirt roads.

A good thing about Port Alberni is that when you launch at the Harbour Quay Marina (off Hwy 4, kinda north) is that there is/was an empty lot across from the launch site where we left the truck for a couple of weeks. Hope it's still there, empty.

Boris
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Since you will be boatless, there is a working coastal freighter/mailboat that goes from Port Alberni, out to the west side of the island, stopping at Bamfield, Euclulet, and dropping kayaks in the Broken Island group. See the Lady Rose Marine Services at:
https://www.ladyrosemarine.com/

and book an all day, interesting ride to the west coast. I don't think they get up as far as the Hot Springs, but you can go out one day, and return on another day, making the Hot Springs reachable.

For those on their own boat returning up the Alberni Canal, one of these boats could help knock down some of the windwaves, if you are going up the canal in the afternoon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the cove with Natural C-lection http://naturalc-lection.blogspot.ca/2015/08/july-30-to-august-2nd-clayoquot-sound-44.html and also by kayak while circumnavigating most of the island by kayak. In the summer, it is a matter of having time to choose days to travel if you are going outside. The road to tofino is not that bad. I have taken Natural C-lection up there several times now for fishing trips.

I might be up for joining a c-brat group if a trip happens, though I may be busy working on MV Swellhttp://mapleleafadventures.com/ships/the-swell/.
I'd recommend driving to Tofino rather than Port Alberni as it is a long haul out and around. To get to Hot Springs you have a choice of inside or outside Flores Island depending on conditions.

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, what can you tell us about good launching in Tofino area, or parking.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Mike_J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually launch at the ramp by the public harbour/wharf on 4th street. I have parked my trailer there as well, though it costs a bit. Parking anywhere around Tofino in the summer can be a challenge.
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many options. Port Alberni is a long way from Clayquot Sound, but an option for someone with lots of time who wants to explore both areas.

My thought was to put the boat in the water at Grice Bay near Tofino. The launch is free and although you would normally have to pay for parking, it is free this year also because because all Canadian parks are free.

http://www.gotofino.com/tofinobeachestrails/all-beaches-trails/grice-bay-aerial-photos-tofino-bc

My goal would be to spend a couple of weeks in the area so the extra distance from Grice Bay will not be a problem to me.

Any suggestions about the best time to go?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, That is a nice web site and thanks for the link. That "Hot pool Experience" would sure feel good about now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That "Hot pool Experience" would sure feel good about now.

Yes, it sure would be nice. We have had a cold and long winter, but at least we are getting a little sunshine right now.

I'm still wondering about the best month to go to the West Coast.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGypsy,

I just looked at my old pictures to get the dates that I was there, but apparently I had moved the pictures on my computer and the dates aren't accurate. So I looked for my old log book (and can't find it). I'll have to go from memory (Oh, oh).

I was in Barkely Sound in late September and the weather was great. I stopped in at Haggard's Cove to visit with the fishing guides because I had been there many times. The fishing report was that it was their last week. School had started and bookings were down. The guides all thought it was crazy that the big Kings were in but nobody books. Weather was fantastic and the Big Leaf Maples were glorious.

In Turtle Bay, it was me and another boat from Seattle. The weather was good and predicted to stay that way, so I headed outside to Clayoquot. My boat did about 8 knots, so it took a couple hours to Tofino. Under those conditions, it would have been easy and faster in my CD 16. I spent a week and came back about the first of October. Other than a few boats at Hot Springs Cove, I saw one other boat (a logging company transport) back inside the Sound.

The view from offshore.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Limpet&id=GoPhoto_0091_Scanned_Image_00659&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

The view from inside Clayoquot.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Limpet&id=GoPhoto_0088_Scanned_Image_00656&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Grice Bay looks perfect for me. I'll have to try Google Earth and see how much parking there is. I assume that the road isn't paved.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cgypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice pictures Mark. Thank you for the information.

Here is another link to an aerial view of Grice Bay http://tofinohiatus.com/tofinohikes/grice-bay.html

Quote:
I'll have to try Google Earth and see how much parking there is. I assume that the road isn't paved.

The pictures on Google Earth may not be up to date as the road and area were closed much of last year for improvements, however it sounds as if the parking lot may be smaller now due to some constructions projects that didn't get finished.

Quote:
Grice Bay Road Re-opened (July 2016)

Parks Canada is pleased to advise that Grice Bay Road in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve has re-opened following the completion of several infrastructure improvement projects. During the closure, three culverts were replaced, slope stabilization and drainage work were implemented, and the road was resurfaced.

In addition to this work, rehabilitation of the boat ramp, parking lot, and day use area had been scheduled, however the initial stages of construction revealed underground contamination in the parking lot. Ensuring the safety of our visitors and the ecological integrity of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve is a priority for Parks Canada. Therefore, prior to continuing with these projects, Parks Canada will conduct thorough investigations to determine the scope and nature of existing conditions and what steps may be needed to complete required remediation work.

While it is unfortunate that the work originally scheduled for the boat ramp, parking lot and day use area will not be completed this summer, Parks Canada recognizes the importance of first remediating the contamination at Grice Bay. Once this work is completed, the remaining infrastructure work can continue. In the meantime, the day use area remains open and safe for people to use and limited parking will be available, with a section of the parking lot remaining closed while we continue our investigation of the contaminated section.

Parks Canada sincerely appreciates the patience of local residents and visitors to the park reserve while Grice Bay Road was closed and looks forward to their continued support during the ongoing work at the day-use areas. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/visit/visit5.aspx#gricebayroad
Mike_J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been fishing with Natural C-lection and by kayak many times in Clayoquot Sound and have also been to Hot Springs cove (with both kayak and C-dory!)
Happy to answer any questions. I would also join folks if I am around!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: