The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hot Springs Cove/Tofino/Vancouver Island West Coast
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Hot Springs Cove/Tofino/Vancouver Island West Coast Reply with quote

I am wondering there are any C-Brats on the West Coast of Vancouver Island near Tofino or anyone who might be interested in going there next summer.

I would like to explore that area and anchor for a couple of days at Hot Springs Cove. http://www.tourismtofino.com/tofino-activites/hot-springs-cove

However, I would prefer to explore with at least one other boat or a group of boats.

Also, I'm not sure of the current condition of the highway. A few years ago it had a significant number of potholes.

Let me know if you are interested or if you live there and can give us some pointers.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there quite a few years ago, but I boated up from the south. The Tofino advertisement says that you can't end up at Hot Springs Cove by chance, but I did, not having known about it until told by a couple cruising the Sound. It is busy during the day with float planes full of tourists landing at the dock and walking out to the hot springs. In the late evening, things calmed down and got naked. There was no dock fee and plenty of space when I was there.

There are a lot of nice anchorages in the Sound, especially the south end, and not much boat traffic inside. I had great conditions and returned south on the outside of Flores Island, going past Cow Bay. The best silver salmon fishing and whale watching that I've ever had.

Last I heard, the road in to Tofino was a cakewalk compared to the road to Moutcha Bay on Nootka Sound, which I did this summer. The roads can be dusty and slow with an occasional unexpected thrill, but they are all doable. I'd be interested in a gathering.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cgypsy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is busy during the day with float planes full of tourists landing at the dock and walking out to the hot springs. In the late evening, things calmed down

That is why I want to go there by boat. I can ignore the people during the day by reading a book sitting on my boat, but I would really like to be sitting in the hot springs with the cool waves rushing over just as the water started to get too hot and watching the full moon rise over the horizon.

It is such a special place so I would much rather go when it is less crowded.

I would also like to see the whole Clayquot Sound area. I would definitely trailer my boat because I live on Central Vancouver Island and it just makes sense.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was similar to Mark's. Float planes, RIB's with tourists etc. We stayed one night--and went to the springs late in the evening. Too many tourists for our liking. During the day, at anchor there was some "people watching"--but the commotion, seemed to ruin the magic for us. Lots of other great places on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, without the tourists.

We have been to a number of hot springs in the PNE which held much more charm for us....Still the area is gorgeous.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgypsy wrote:
cool waves rushing over just as the water started to get too hot and watching the full moon rise over the horizon.

You've got the right idea (if paradise is still there). Take a good headlamp and go on a rising tide. I recall that it is a northern exposure and sits in a little crevice, so I'm no sure about seeing a full moon rising, although I saw plenty of moons. Smile

Feeling half boiled and then having a cold saltwater swell roll into the pool was memorable. The waves can push you around a little, so more clothing than a bathing suit is really the best policy. Change to dry cloths there and be careful on the walk back.

There's also a "hot springs" near Marktosis. It was a business (100 years ago??), the site is abandoned, but the "pool" is still there. The concrete pool is really small and the water temp is like bath water that's gone just a little too cold. Nobody there but the mosquitoes.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fun believer in the magic of the hot pools. I have been at every one that I know of in Oregon, and multiple others in Washington and BC, but not the West side of Vancouver Island. I know we have talked about Hot Springs Cove as a possibility and I am still interested. At some point, I expect to be on the Island next summer. Trailering makes sense, but from what I have heard of the road, from friends over it this summer, it is still somewhat of a challenge (Pot holes and some steep grades.)

That said, I am interested in what turns up here. Will be watching along.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back, while sitting at home and it is 30 something outside, and wondering how it would feel to be soaking in a hot pool overlooking the ocean.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time to start making plans for the summer cruising season. Clayoquot Sound and Hot Springs Cove would be great places to explore.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Bringing this one back, while sitting at home and it is 30 something outside, and wondering how it would feel to be soaking in a hot pool overlooking the ocean.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Just run Sleepy-C up from Sequim! Pick a good weather day and run fast out the Strait. Stop in Port Angeles or Neah Bay if the weather kicks up. Head to Ucluelet and clear customs. You can be in Barkley Sound in a day.

Barkley Sound is beautiful and has awesome cruising. And from there, it's just 20-25 nm (an hour or two!) around to Clayoquot Sound, where Hot Springs Cove is.

If you go to Hot Springs Cove, plan on soaking in the morning and evening. During the day the springs are overflowing with people who arrive on tour boats and seaplanes.

I'm hoping to return from Alaska on the west side of Vancouver Island, but not sure when I'll be there.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruising Barkley Sound and Clayquot Sound was wonderful. Great bueatiful anchorages and a lot of fun getting to them. Judy wrote about it here: West Side of Vancouver Island.

We took Journey On over to Vancouver Island on the ferry out of Tsawwassen to Nanimo, which is a trip in itself. Drove out to Port Alberni, launched the boat, checked out Barkley Sound and ended up at Tofino, Clayquot Sound. That's a great cruising ground.

There is a launch site at Tofino. While it's paved it's not the greatest. And by the way, I remember the road as good but winding, several years ago.

Boris
cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cruising Barkley Sound and Clayquot Sound was wonderful. Great bueatiful anchorages and a lot of fun getting to them. Judy wrote about it here: West Side of Vancouver Island.

Thanks for the interesting write up. Nootka Sound is also on my list of places I want to go so that was also interesting, but I think the most valuable thing I took from that is the confirmation that I want to drive to Tofino or Grice Bay.

I'm guessing that the area warrants a minimum of 2 weeks to explore.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Harvey,

It feels great. We have a wood fired water heater connected to a Rubbermaid cattle trough on a little deck on Dewatto Bay. It takes three hours to heat 120 gallons of water to 106 (a big arm load of wood), but then it's good for the weekend with just a few more firings. I was a little surprised to see that the price of the Chofu heater had doubled since I bought one, but I'd pay the new price if I had to. The biggest problem is that the 300' of hose running from our well head can freeze. Still, I'm hoping for snow on NY eve.

Mark

http://www.islandhottub.com/woodhtr.html
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Nice. Thanks for the link. Enjoy.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgypsy wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the interesting write up. Nootka Sound is also on my list of places I want to go so that was also interesting, but I think the most valuable thing I took from that is the confirmation that I want to drive to Tofino or Grice Bay.

We launched at Gold River (many years ago), cruised out through Nootka Sound, and traveled all the inlets up through the southern part of the Brooks Peninsula. It was great! Wanted to do Clayoquot Sound too, but did not have enough time.

Did some research for a subsequent trip on a BC boater web site, and the responses I got from people who have been there done that was: Don't plan to trailer into Tofino and launch during the summer - far too crowded, very tough to find a parking place. Launch somewhere else and visit Clayoquot by boat.

FWIW - this is pretty old advice, and I don't know how correct it is nowadays.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tofino, Pacific Rim National Park and many of the other National Parks will be very busy this year as Canada will be celebrating it's 150th birthday in 2017. As a gift to Canadians and visitors alike, entrance will be free to all National Parks and Historic Sites. Its a great year to come to Canada with the lower dollar, but it will be busy. Be sure to go somewhere for the Fireworks on Canada Day, July 1.

I have never been to Hot Springs Cove by boat, but I did fly in there once in November and we had the springs all to ourselves.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: